StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been doing some lookin around for a bike to bike com's set up. I want something compact, as few wires as possible, rechargeabe and a range of up to 2km, but no less than 1km.
I have looked at the Collett (made in Winnipeg) and it seems like it would fit the bill. It is abit on the large side though. I wear a flip up helmet, so that plays into it as well.
What are my fellow (and/or fellowette) in Canada using?

Cheers

·
Administrator
13,199 Posts
I haven't done anything but would like to next year.

It would be real nice if we all could agree on some standard.. maybe channel xx on the FRS then we could all have our setup whatever way we feel most comfortable doing.

..Tom

Have been doing some lookin around for a bike to bike com's set up. I want something compact, as few wires as possible, rechargeabe and a range of up to 2km, but no less than 1km.
I have looked at the Collett (made in Winnipeg) and it seems like it would fit the bill. It is abit on the large side though. I wear a flip up helmet, so that plays into it as well.
What are my fellow (and/or fellowette) in Canada using?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I haven't read the article yet but this month's (January 2007) issue of Rider magazine has a write-up on Autocom, Baehr, Chatterbox, J&M, Sierra Electronics add-on coms and the new Nolan N-Com Bluetooth System helmet. If you're interested.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought this one but haven't had a chance to use it yet. (this is for rider to pillion but can be adapted for rider to rider.

search autocom, there is plenty of good reports on these.

1 KIT 200 New Autocom Active Plus System 279.00
1 1153 Passenger Headset 67.00
1 1179 Passenger Headset Extension Lead 17.00

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I think I'm looking for something that doesn't exist yet. I've been using a Scala Rider with the cell phone for several months and it works well most of the time.

So I added a Zumo to the mix this week. The cell phone no longer talks directly to the Scala Rider - this is good because the Zumo talks to the cell phone and the Zumo talks to the Scala Rider. The Zumo sends navigation voice prompts to the Scala Rider. So far so good, except the Zumo's output volume is wimpy. I can live with it.

Now the problem. The Zumo does not send XM audio via bluetooth. So how are you supposed to get that type of audio (in stereo) AND still have the WIRELESS bluetooth mic/headphone auto-level capabilities of the Scala rider?

The Nolan system is apparently only available for that brand of helmet, athough if it's sold as a kit, I'm more than willing to install it in my Scorpion exo-700.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pretty sure I will go with the Collett. If ur interested in havin a look-see, go to www.collett.mb.ca

Cheers

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have the Collett...works pretty good up to about 1km after that forget it. The speakers are tinny with very little bass. I have modified mine with a high quailty sony headphone system that works well...For the price a good alternative to the others

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info Daryl. How old is your Collett?....they have supposedly ugraded the speakers.

As I am just outside Winnipeg, I will be dropping into the factory and have a good look at them before I will purchase. Apparently they are sold out at the moment and will again be making them in March.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Thanks for the info Daryl. How old is your Collett?....they have supposedly ugraded the speakers.

As I am just outside Winnipeg, I will be dropping into the factory and have a good look at them before I will purchase. Apparently they are sold out at the moment and will again be making them in March.

Cheers!
I have a Collette CellMate 900. The only complaint I have is the wire going into the device is weak and will break. My buddy and I took them apart, rewired it with heavier gauge wire and all is well.

Its also nice that the the external battery pack for the CellMate 900 uses 6 AA batteries - instead of an internal lithium. That means, if I'm camping and don't have electrical, I don't have to worry about a dead battery.

Cheers.

Tige

·
Registered
8 Posts
Collett all the way !

I have an older generation Collett (49MHZ). IT works great. I have both the rider-to-passanger and rider-to-rider set. It definately made the 4 day trip to Pennsylvania more enjoyable. COllett has a VOX system (ie. microphone) and other devices (like Chatterboxes) might have the PTTB option (push to talk button). So it's all about preference.

From experience, the Collett has a sensitivity setting. So at highway speeds you gotta turn it down, otherwise the windnoise will turn the unit on constantly. Once you get used to the idea tho, its not a problem anymore. However, I like the fact that u can just speak whenever, as you are looking around, etc etc...and no buttons to worry about - but like I said, it's all preference... Once my old one craps out, I will be buying a new Collett for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts