StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using any bike to bike communication? Tired of the hand signals with the wife. I have tried the search function but didn't have much luck :cry: I'm not sure how they work or how they are installed so some advice would be great :D Also how do they handle wind noise? PLEASE HELP :D

thanks as always

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
My wife and I have tried a couple of things but haven't yet gotten it where we are happy with the reception.

First we tried Chatterbox X2 (FRS radio) units. I had trouble with a battery that didn't last long but one unit seemed to operate correctly. The other one seemed to trigger all the time.

We then bought Autocom units during the sale that they had recently (earlier this year). Still had trouble. One problem is that my wife hasn't figured out how to trigger the VOX - she just starts talking and with not enough volume. The sound is not great but I really need to optimise the helmet speaker positions and mics. I think it just takes tweaking. We also got FRS radios with this setup.

Another couple likes the Collett system - it uses a completely different frequency and units have to have a common channel, but they think they are the clearest available.

I wish I could tell you that one setup works perfectly, but I haven't found it yet...

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
I have been using the J&M 2003 cb model for quite some time and will be putting them on my new 650's again. It mounts on the left handlebar and includes weather band and an aux input. I'm still working out the details to make it fit ( I think I need to change the mirrors), but it is a great setup. I have the best headsets that they make and the sound quality is very good.

Here is a link, I just get the solo version as I don't have a passenger.

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM-JMCB2003-SL

Tom

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have been using the MOTOComm Audioboss for about the last six months. I highly recommend it. It works excellent as both an intercom (driver/passnger) and as a bike to bike communicator. To use it bike-to-bike you have to have a set of two way radios. You can also plug in your cell phone, and an mp3 player. The unit has a built in FM reciever if you just want radio. The unit runs on 2-AA batteries, but so far I have only had to change the batteries once (in six months), and that is with pretty heavy usage. The intercom is duplex communication (like talking on a phone), and the bike-to-bike communicator uses a handlebar mounted push-to-talk button to activate the two way radios. I've found this works better than the VOX feature on a lot of communicators (no wind noise to interfere, and run down battery). If both riders have passengers, all four people can communicate. The unit comes with two PTT buttons so the passenger has their own. When anyone presses the PTT button, both drivers and passengers can hear the conversation. My brother and I have used the bike-to-bike communication a lot. It makes rides a lot more fun. We haven't had any problems with communicating at 80+mph freeway speeds and we can be about 2 miles apart in most cases. The only complaint is that there are a lot of cords. It isn't a problem if you have a tank bag, or wear a fanny pack, but otherwise the cords can get a bit unruly.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Gilk51 said:
My wife and I have tried a couple of things but haven't yet gotten it where we are happy with the reception.We then bought Autocom units during the sale that they had recently (earlier this year). Still had trouble. One problem is that my wife hasn't figured out how to trigger the VOX - she just starts talking and with not enough volume. The sound is not great but I really need to optimise the helmet speaker positions and mics. I think it just takes tweaking. We also got FRS radios with this setup.
I wish I could tell you that one setup works perfectly, but I haven't found it yet...
Myself, along w/ alot of friends use the Autocomms successfully; one of the keys for vox is to have the mike very very close to your mouth so it will pick up easily; we all also use the separate PTT for bike to bike - makes it a lot easier to transmit. Most of us use the Kenwood handheld radios, a couple guys use the (waterproof) Yaesu; both are 6 watt output, easily programmed, and you can get adapter cables from Autocomm for them.
Check out http://hamradio.com/ for good prices (kenwood TH-F6, Yaesu VX-7).

KL

G

·
0 Posts
Wife and I have used Colletts for about 8 years and have had problems at times but we have used 8 years. They are both back at Collett for repair at this time and we really miss them. I am not sure that any are trouble free but they sure make bike to bike riding fun when they work.

G

·
0 Posts
Wife and I have used Colletts for about 8 years and have had problems at times but we have used 8 years. They are both back at Collett for repair at this time and we really miss them. I am not sure that any are trouble free but they sure make bike to bike riding fun when they work.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'd add another vote for a CB. Have a hand held on my Wee-Strom and installed several J&M on my friend's bikes (Valk and a Burgman). I've used FRS type radios in the past and was less then happy with quality of sound. Another reason for a CB is you could use it to communicate with other vehicles on the road.

Wingman

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
I have recently bought a MaxCom WT108 set. I only tested it in cars yet but I hope it will work on our bikes as well. Will post my bike-experiences later.

So far: Sound quality is quite good, works with the included rechargeable batteries endless but you can also put in AAA batteries in emergency as well. Equipped with VAC, two headsets, twin charger, belt clip.
For USD 80 it is worth it.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Very clever idea with the flasher switch. I looked at the price of the airrider and it was 239. For another 40 bucks you can have the j&m unit with aux input and weather band with an outside mount and controls. You do have to have their headsets or you can also buy an adapter from edsets.

Tom

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Quick Question as to antenna for the C.B. radio's, Do you have to mount a Police style whip or do you use a marine type Zero ground Plane antenna thanx, Jack

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
+1 for Baehr & Autocom.

·
Registered
216 Posts
duSTy said:
Very clever idea with the flasher switch. I looked at the price of the airrider and it was 239. For another 40 bucks you can have the j&m unit with aux input and weather band with an outside mount and controls. You do have to have their headsets or you can also buy an adapter from edsets.

Tom
Price out everything you need to install the J&M set up. The Cobra has the NOAA channels, mounts on the handlebar and has all it's controls on the unit also.

·
Registered
369 Posts
duSTy said:
You do have to have their headsets or you can also buy an adapter from edsets.
Tom
The Edsets adaptor for J&M doe not work well with J&M CB. They use 6 wires, the 6th being an amplifier. When I installed my buddy's J&M, we tried using Edsets and couldnt hear much.

WIngman

·
Registered
369 Posts
VtSTROM-K5 said:
Quick Question as to antenna for the C.B. radio's, Do you have to mount a Police style whip or do you use a marine type Zero ground Plane antenna thanx, Jack
You'll need a NGP (No-Ground Plane) antenna on the V-Strom because the bike is mostly aluminum. Firestick has some great NGP antennas to pick from. Also, it is absolutely critical that you have the antenna tuned to your bike for good performance.

Wingman

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
wingman said:
duSTy said:
You do have to have their headsets or you can also buy an adapter from edsets.
Tom
The Edsets adaptor for J&M doe not work well with J&M CB. They use 6 wires, the 6th being an amplifier. When I installed my buddy's J&M, we tried using Edsets and couldnt hear much.

WIngman
I had only read that it worked for someone. I never tried it myself. I have the best J&M headsets they sell. I wanted the best fidelity I could get.

Thanks for correcting me.

Tom

1 - 17 of 17 Posts