StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in the communication systems out there for bike to passenger as well as bike to bike communication. I know nothing about this and just started looking. i would like to hear from you guys as to what you have used,pros and cons and what works. Here is what I am looking for: we have 4 people involved-so has to be able to to handle 4 people. Don't know about range-open Easy to work. Maybe I'm asking too much,maybe there is no such animal. But would like to hear what any of you have used.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
We've used the Cardo Systems for 3 years. I can't say enough about how great it is to be connected. However the Scala Rider is sometimes a glitchy product. Or ours have been anyway. Maybe Cardo has improved but I've heard more positives about Sena.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
947 Posts
This is my next gadget also. Don't need anything other than rider to pillion conversation. She would be happy with music but just as happy without. I certainly don't need phone calls as I never turn mine on except when making a call.

Coops.

·
Registered
470 Posts
there are a million threads on here and ADV rider etc. For what its worth my current thought , and my intention prior to Quorn, is a U Clear system, probably 100 plus,

intercom thingy

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I use an fm transmitter I got off eBay that also hooks up blue tooth to my phone or gps. it's not as popular as sena however the cost is about 4-1 vs the Sena. you're looking at a pair for 90$. I've had mine for about 3 years.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I had one of those Chinese made comm units for a couple years, and it was good enough. Then it went bad, and I decided to splurge on a Sena SM10. I forget the total cost, but I think it was around $300.00 for two complete units, including the mount that allows the use of both helmet mounted headphones and earbuds.

To me, the upgrade was worth it. The Sena units work perfectly. Great sound quality even at highway speed, weather resistant, great range between units, and can support multiple inputs (GPS, phone, and communication with multiple riders).

I can't say it's better than units like the Scala, since I've never used that one, but it works great for me, and the difference between the Chinese unit and the Sena is like night and day.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Sena SMH10 is a winner. The wife and I use them when she pillions, and when she rides her own bike. We are planning another 10,000 km ride and the SENA is a big part of it. We also get to answer calls from the kids (conference calling) and call them on the "hands free" when we want. Music when we are not talking. Just get a set.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
My girlfriend and I have had the Sena smh-10's for over 5 years now. We love them and will be upgrading when they shit the bed. And they have shown no signs of doing so yet. They have good range, easily upgrade firmware, you can connect 4 headsets and even connect with other brands. They pair easily with cell phones and GPS units. Music and phone quality are good to the point people can't tell I'm on my bike at speed while talking. Sena is bringing out new models so you can get some deals on the older models at the moment.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
SENA, SENA, SENA! Great customer service as well.

I agree with the SENAs. I've been using a SMH10 since they were new and you couldn't upgrade the firmware. Water got into that old unit when I forgot to close the charging port and SENA still replaced it for me with a newer unit for free.

They just work. I've seen other people try to get around the new Bluetooth com units by hacking or hodgepodging a system together using non-motorcycle specific products and they fall short every time.

Now days you can buy the SMH-5 for around 90ish dollars on Amazon. A set for under 200. At those prices there's no reason NOT to go with a quality bluetooth com unit.

I expanded my setup with their SR10 bluetooth hub so I can run HAM radio on my bike easily and seamlessly and it's made the experience even better. It also has inputs so you can plug other devices into it as long as you don't mind it being in MONO sound. The SR10 doesn't have the capability to do A2DP stereo profile. Becuase of this I only run my GPS though it and a Radar Detector on longer trips.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I went with the SMH-5. I never ride in large groups so I didn't feel the need for the 10. I primarily ride with one other friend and we often joke about how we were able to ride with out them. I like not having to yell to one another at stop signs to discuss stops for gas, food or directions.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I've never understood the argument that "we've been riding wihtout them for years". Technology marches on. I bet bi-plane fighter pilots were stoked when they were able to communicate with their rear gunners using an intercom system. Or when tanks were able to communicate using radios.

IMO helmet coms are not only convenient but make group rides even if that group is only two bikes, a much safer and less stressful event. Being able to communicate effectively is key to executing any good plan.

BigTK- this was not directed at you just the motorcycle community as a whole.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have used the Sena 5 and currently have the Sena SMH10. My girlfriend and I use them all the time. I have friends I ride with some and have linked up to four persons. They can be a little hard to sync at first but after learning how it is no problem. Heavy rain has not been an issue either. Mine are going on two years old and are holding up well.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I've never understood the argument that "we've been riding wihtout them for years". Technology marches on. I bet bi-plane fighter pilots were stoked when they were able to communicate with their rear gunners using an intercom system. Or when tanks were able to communicate using radios.
For some (not all), I think it just amounts to fear/discomfort of the unknown. I hear the same sentiment about things like ABS, or traction control, or "all them newfangled computers on your bike that are just waiting to break". I think we all reach that point in our lives, where new tech stops seeming cool, and starts seeming weird and threatening to our comfort level. I love having comm units, ABS, TCS, etc, but something like Google Glasses, or whatever the latest hot social media platform, makes me go "meh, who needs it?". Maybe some day I'll be sitting on my porch, yelling at the neighbor kids to turn down that damn music, and complaining that no one needs a hoverboard, because in my day we had two wheels, and dammit, we were happy with that! :smile2:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sena SMH10 here, too. Super easy, and it lasts all day and then half of the next day on one charge.

When riding with my friend, we give each other shit all day long, tell bad jokes, and generally ramble on, but we also call out traffic, obstacles, and other hazards to each other. There's a real safety aspect to having comms with other riders in your group.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Sena SMH10 here, too. Super easy, and it lasts all day and then half of the next day on one charge.

When riding with my friend, we give each other shit all day long, tell bad jokes, and generally ramble on, but we also call out traffic, obstacles, and other hazards to each other. There's a real safety aspect to having comms with other riders in your group.
About how many hours on a charge? Our Cardo Systems only go about 8 hours. Dead battery before the end of a long day stinks.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I use the Sena SMH5. Easy to use, sound is good. I mostly commute solo and wanted the FM radio. I am on call for work. It is nice not to have to pull over, take off gear, check phone, see it is not a call back, return to riding. I hear the 'special' work ring tone and just turn around.
When 2 UP the comm works as expected. Very happy with this set.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts