StromTrooper banner

Bike to Bike Comm

4K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  WEE4ME 
#1 ·
How come we don't have an "Electronics" subforum here?

Anyhoo, in March I'm riding a couple thousand miles with my pal. Every year we say we're going to get a bike to bike comm system, but haven't yet. Maybe this will be the year.

I have a Nolan N 103 that has the NCOM gear available, he has a few "generic" helmets and might get a Nolan.

What do you use for bike to bike comm?

#4 ·
I use an Autocom system. Generally my iPod is hooked up to it as is my Garmin Zumo. (I use the Zumo for Bluetooth in my car when driving but don't on the bike.)

When on road trips with friends that have radio we communicate using FRS/GMRS radios. I use a Kenwood but have used a Motorola in the past. That means all the guys can decide on their own best setup but we can all talk with the radios. We use FRS channel 7 sub 14 (and hope that all riders using FRS/GMRS will use this as a common channel for riders.)

..Tom

#6 ·
+1 for Autocom

ya, I have a cord going to my helmet, no big deal, its not restrictive, it will unplug itself when necessary, the real nice thing about autocom is the noise cancelling headset, conversation or music is crystal clear, even over 100mph

mostly I just listen to mp3s on my Zumo, I also have the bluetooth module, so I can answer my cell phone or do voice dialing as I ride, I can als communicat bike to bike with GMRS or FRS, Autocoms are finicky with CB, but who uses CB these days anyway

#5 ·
I got a set of the Sena SMH-10s for my son and I at Christmas. I - We - like them very much. Set up is easy, the sound is great. I have a Nolan N102, and it clamps on just fine. It does not use the Ncom space on the helmet. Due to the shape of the helmet the microphone is very close to, pretty much touching, your lips with it closed. Takes a little getting used to, but I am there now. It is great being able to communicate, take the next exit, stop here for lunch, what have you, without doing the hand signal thing.

Highly recommended.

#7 · (Edited)
I use the Scala G4 Power sets. They rock, 1 mile range, FM radio, 2 channels for bikes, Pairing to blue tooth, auto volume up. :thumbup: I have used Chatter box and the communicator from Canada. With the G4 and some other work I can run Bike to Bike, FM radio, XM radio, MP3, GPS and cell NO WIRES needed.

#10 ·
I had two Gold Wings and currently ride a Harley Road Glide that I installed a com system in also. In addition I used a J&M handlebar setup on my ST1200 for a couple years. I think the J&M system is a great all around system to maintain communications with friends on rides. Integrating the iPod is super easy if you can operate a plug. LOL

While not really cheap, the J&M can be had for around $250 or so plus antenna. The biggest issue is getting high quality sound from either headset speakers or earbuds/plugs. My J&M is on my workbench waiting for install. I can't wait!! :thumbup:

#13 ·
i sold my piece of crap hard to setup crap sounding autcom crap and bought a Sena unit. i don't regret the change one bit. piece of cake to install, nice and loud speakers, mic picks up my voice perfect even though it is off to the side of my mouth. i hear 2nd generation is due out soon. don't know what the upgrades will be. if you've an ADV account i highly recommend purchasing through Rocket Moto. best service bar none. very helpful comm and electronics support even if you don't/didn't buy from them. they are also a dealer for crap autocom if you think you want to waste your money on that.

#15 ·
+whatever on the Sena SMH-10. I mostly use it to listen to music on my iphone, but it works great for phone calls (used judiciously of course) and for rider-passenger or bike-to-bike communication too.

#16 ·
autocom is the hardest...

But properly installed, an autocom system will excel in audio quality(limited by your choice of earbuds or helmet speakers), and range. You choose what type of radio you add with autocom. Finally have mine set up the way I like, with my android phone for music and calls, and kenwood freetalk gmrs/frs for bike to bike. Bluetooth audio will never sound as good as a hardwired connection, too much compression. And lastly, batteries die. Autocom can be hard wired, so is always on and ready when you need it.

This post has been deleted
#19 ·
Got the Starcom installed on my bike, though the headset I have is bad (horribly tinny audio, sometimes only works in one speaker; warranty replacement is on its way).

I can't imagine the range on the bluetooth systems would be any good at all (if it really is using bluetooth for the bike-to-bike component).

I don't like having to worry about batteries on my headset, but it's sure less work than wiring up a full comm system.

The Starcom with all the cables I need, bulkhead mounting kit, zumo in/out audio cables, kenwood audio cable, PTT, remote volume control, etc, runs over 500. Plus the handheld amateur radio on the bike + DC hardwire kit, well, yeah, you're running close to $1000. But you can save a lot of money if you just need a basic FRS radio and don't need interfaces with music/nav/etc.

#20 ·
I have a a Scala Rider Q2 setup for my wife and I. What can I say, it works. Got it for $210 last Black Friday at Cycle Gear. The only shortcoming that we have seen is that if we are out for a long time (>8 hours) we have to charge them somewhere (usually charge them at lunch, just have to find an outlet while we eat).

#23 ·
Over the past ten years or so I have had a few problems with my Autocomm, but I have worked around the issues. I like the ability to use all my electronics and also I like that I can use the CB when needed to talk with truck drivers ref. taffic issues radar etc. I also like that I can talk with any MC rider that has CB's and thus not sspecifc freq. for some of the ther models on the market.

#25 ·
Dorzok,

I'm surprised by all the issues you had. I wonder if you had a bad unit.

No doubt mic placement is important, but I wear a modular helmet and the result is that I move my mic around every time I put my helmet on and take it off. I don't have any problems with the placement. I believe Autocomm says that most interferance problems can be fixed by attaching the Power lead close to he battery and I haven't had any (mine is attached to a swit. No doubt the leads are expensive, but that does let you use different devices with the Autocom. I have the push to talk, but I can leave it in a VOX mode and usually, when talking with friends on the FRS/GMRS radio I do just that. Also, with my previous Halmet (HJC Sy-Max II I needed the wind sock. My current one (Scorpion EXO900 I beleive) i don't need one.

My Unit is an AVI-Pro but firends have had similar experieinces to me with less expensive units.

..Tom

#28 ·
My Autocomm VOX had an annoying lag that required some type of verbalization to turn it on before I could actually start to talk without losing the first word or two. Also it required very close mic proximity (touching the lips, actually) to activate the VOX. Autocomm sound quality was very good, though. All in all I'm happier with the Scala.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.