StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come we don't have an "Electronics" subforum here?

Anyhoo, in March I'm riding a couple thousand miles with my pal. Every year we say we're going to get a bike to bike comm system, but haven't yet. Maybe this will be the year.

I have a Nolan N 103 that has the NCOM gear available, he has a few "generic" helmets and might get a Nolan.

What do you use for bike to bike comm?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've been looking pretty close the Sena headsets. Seem pretty similar to the ScalaRider, but not as pricey. The reviews I've read have been good.

·
Administrator
13,494 Posts
I use an Autocom system. Generally my iPod is hooked up to it as is my Garmin Zumo. (I use the Zumo for Bluetooth in my car when driving but don't on the bike.)

When on road trips with friends that have radio we communicate using FRS/GMRS radios. I use a Kenwood but have used a Motorola in the past. That means all the guys can decide on their own best setup but we can all talk with the radios. We use FRS channel 7 sub 14 (and hope that all riders using FRS/GMRS will use this as a common channel for riders.)

..Tom

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I got a set of the Sena SMH-10s for my son and I at Christmas. I - We - like them very much. Set up is easy, the sound is great. I have a Nolan N102, and it clamps on just fine. It does not use the Ncom space on the helmet. Due to the shape of the helmet the microphone is very close to, pretty much touching, your lips with it closed. Takes a little getting used to, but I am there now. It is great being able to communicate, take the next exit, stop here for lunch, what have you, without doing the hand signal thing.

Highly recommended.

·
Registered
22,265 Posts
I use an Autocom system. Generally my iPod is hooked up to it as is my Garmin Zumo. (I use the Zumo for Bluetooth in my car when driving but don't on the bike.)

When on road trips with friends that have radio we communicate using FRS/GMRS radios. I use a Kenwood but have used a Motorola in the past. That means all the guys can decide on their own best setup but we can all talk with the radios. We use FRS channel 7 sub 14 (and hope that all riders using FRS/GMRS will use this as a common channel for riders.)

..Tom
+1 for Autocom

ya, I have a cord going to my helmet, no big deal, its not restrictive, it will unplug itself when necessary, the real nice thing about autocom is the noise cancelling headset, conversation or music is crystal clear, even over 100mph

mostly I just listen to mp3s on my Zumo, I also have the bluetooth module, so I can answer my cell phone or do voice dialing as I ride, I can als communicat bike to bike with GMRS or FRS, Autocoms are finicky with CB, but who uses CB these days anyway

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use the Scala G4 Power sets. They rock, 1 mile range, FM radio, 2 channels for bikes, Pairing to blue tooth, auto volume up. :thumbup: I have used Chatter box and the communicator from Canada. With the G4 and some other work I can run Bike to Bike, FM radio, XM radio, MP3, GPS and cell NO WIRES needed.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got a set of the Sena SMH-10s for my son and I at Christmas. I - We - like them very much. Set up is easy, the sound is great. I have a Nolan N102, and it clamps on just fine. It does not use the Ncom space on the helmet. Due to the shape of the helmet the microphone is very close to, pretty much touching, your lips with it closed. Takes a little getting used to, but I am there now. It is great being able to communicate, take the next exit, stop here for lunch, what have you, without doing the hand signal thing.

Highly recommended.
So you decided not to use the NCOM system? Was that a price issue? Damn expensive...almost $400 to kit up for Bluetooth.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had two Gold Wings and currently ride a Harley Road Glide that I installed a com system in also. In addition I used a J&M handlebar setup on my ST1200 for a couple years. I think the J&M system is a great all around system to maintain communications with friends on rides. Integrating the iPod is super easy if you can operate a plug. LOL

While not really cheap, the J&M can be had for around $250 or so plus antenna. The biggest issue is getting high quality sound from either headset speakers or earbuds/plugs. My J&M is on my workbench waiting for install. I can't wait!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
So you decided not to use the NCOM system? Was that a price issue? Damn expensive...almost $400 to kit up for Bluetooth.
Well, when I got the Nolan I had it in mind I would get some comm stuff eventually, but didn't feel like I "needed" it right away. And yeah, the choices that can be installed in the ncom are crazy expensive. After my son began riding and we had made a couple of multi-day trips together, it became clear some bike-to-bike comm would be a nice thing to have.

About that time I came across information about the Sena units, and the reviews were all really positive. I got the set on Amazon for about $250 delivered; I've heard of others getting them for a tad less also.

Ease of use, playing music, making/answering a call, not to mention the intercom, is really well thought out. The helmet speakers included sound great. Without my earplugs in I can crank the volume to painful levels at 85mph if I want to. With earplugs I can hear everything just fine.

A far better value than anything specifically for the ncom, and I can move this to another helmet eventually as well.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
i sold my piece of crap hard to setup crap sounding autcom crap and bought a Sena unit. i don't regret the change one bit. piece of cake to install, nice and loud speakers, mic picks up my voice perfect even though it is off to the side of my mouth. i hear 2nd generation is due out soon. don't know what the upgrades will be. if you've an ADV account i highly recommend purchasing through Rocket Moto. best service bar none. very helpful comm and electronics support even if you don't/didn't buy from them. they are also a dealer for crap autocom if you think you want to waste your money on that.

·
Registered
962 Posts
i sold my piece of crap hard to setup crap sounding autcom crap and bought a Sena unit. i don't regret the change one bit. piece of cake to install, nice and loud speakers, mic picks up my voice perfect even though it is off to the side of my mouth. i hear 2nd generation is due out soon. don't know what the upgrades will be. if you've an ADV account i highly recommend purchasing through Rocket Moto. best service bar none. very helpful comm and electronics support even if you don't/didn't buy from them. they are also a dealer for crap autocom if you think you want to waste your money on that.
My autocom works fantastic!!!!!!!! Best intercom I've ever used....

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
+whatever on the Sena SMH-10. I mostly use it to listen to music on my iphone, but it works great for phone calls (used judiciously of course) and for rider-passenger or bike-to-bike communication too.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
autocom is the hardest...

But properly installed, an autocom system will excel in audio quality(limited by your choice of earbuds or helmet speakers), and range. You choose what type of radio you add with autocom. Finally have mine set up the way I like, with my android phone for music and calls, and kenwood freetalk gmrs/frs for bike to bike. Bluetooth audio will never sound as good as a hardwired connection, too much compression. And lastly, batteries die. Autocom can be hard wired, so is always on and ready when you need it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Autocom vs bluetooth systems, The Autocom will outperform any bluetooth system on the market. If you want to box yourself into a corner buy bluetooth, if you want expandability better audio and the best vox system around go autocom. Kieth

·
Registered
807 Posts
Got the Starcom installed on my bike, though the headset I have is bad (horribly tinny audio, sometimes only works in one speaker; warranty replacement is on its way).

I can't imagine the range on the bluetooth systems would be any good at all (if it really is using bluetooth for the bike-to-bike component).

I don't like having to worry about batteries on my headset, but it's sure less work than wiring up a full comm system.

The Starcom with all the cables I need, bulkhead mounting kit, zumo in/out audio cables, kenwood audio cable, PTT, remote volume control, etc, runs over 500. Plus the handheld amateur radio on the bike + DC hardwire kit, well, yeah, you're running close to $1000. But you can save a lot of money if you just need a basic FRS radio and don't need interfaces with music/nav/etc.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have a a Scala Rider Q2 setup for my wife and I. What can I say, it works. Got it for $210 last Black Friday at Cycle Gear. The only shortcoming that we have seen is that if we are out for a long time (>8 hours) we have to charge them somewhere (usually charge them at lunch, just have to find an outlet while we eat).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts