StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

In a couple of weeks I'm heading down to tassie with a few mates for a 6 day ride. I was recently reading a back issue of Aust Road Rider which in a non specific way mentioned that there had been reports from riders of there bikes being damaged because they had ''over secured'' by the crew.

I was wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences and if they had any tips on making sure there bike is tyed down properly.

Thanks in advance

Mark

·
Registered
156 Posts
Don't worry

Have completed the crossing with the bike numerous times and have had no problems, they will let you secure your own bike if you wish. These guys secure hundreds of bikes per week for passage over some of the roughest waters around and a slight bend on a side stand is preferable to a lie down.
If you have crash bars fitted get them to use those as the tie down points, just seems to be more stable to me.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Ferry Stories

Have only been across and back once but there were no problems at all. They know what they're doing. I would like a set of their tie downs for my own use.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Trip to Tassie last year. coming from Melbourne - tie downs to the engine bars and from tassie side they used the handle bars (both trips no worries). Also what a great idea, large rubber band to hold the front brake lever in, would never had thought of that if doing my own tie down. as above these guys tie hundreds of bikes down, they know what they are doing. More stories about guys tying down there own, one story think from ADV about a fellow on a Big Bimmer that did his own tie down using the centre stand (big no no) resulted in a fall over = damaged to his own + other bikes. My advice would be to watch out for the metal deck and those wretched tie down points, wet floor both ways going onto the Spirit fully loaded and mum on the back - did it ok but a bit of a pucker moment! there are plenty of motorbike stories about the Spirit and the crossing, just google.
Was worried when the staffer said they don't get worried until an 8 or 9 metre swell:jawdrop:, think she was trying to put the proverbial up me! Have fun!:thumbup:
Farmer Strom.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reassuring replies. I would have been very surprised if there had been any tie down issues.

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Good you are feeling reassured.

Now we won't mention an incident on the Queenscliffe-Sorrento Ferry on Port Philip Bay where the upper car deck was lowered on to a bunch of bikes now will we :confused:

However, it seems the bikers were originally told to park on the other side where there was no overhead car deck, they just decided to park where there was more room to put their bikes.

Shoulda listened to the deck hands huh? :fineprint:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Good you are feeling reassured.

Now we won't mention an incident on the Queenscliffe-Sorrento Ferry on Port Philip Bay where the upper car deck was lowered on to a bunch of bikes now will we :confused:

However, it seems the bikers were originally told to park on the other side where there was no overhead car deck, they just decided to park where there was more room to put their bikes.

Shoulda listened to the deck hands huh? :fineprint:
Haha , on our Queenscliff-Sorento ferry crossing last month we parked the bike on the smaller ferry (where instructed). Once positioned we locked the steering and used a bit of velcro strap to hold on the front brake, then jammed a bike jack under the right hand corner of the bash plate & applied a slight tension, our fully loaded Strom stayed still even though the smaller ferry was more prone to rolling in the swell we had no problems with any bike movement.... In Bass Strait tho, tie it down for sure !

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
If you use one of the many available cllp on plastic throttle things that enable you to use the palm of your hand to maintain speed,make sure it is placed back in a safe position after being moved by the tie down lads ,I had a sphincter moment on a dark disembark when it got caught in my glove as it was moved to the centre of the grip to make room for the tie down--try turning your mouse 180 deg to feel what the throttle felt like.:fineprint:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts