StromTrooper banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I got hooked on Europe last year after shipping our DL1000 over for the TT and 5000 miles of touring. We want to do something like this every year but shipping costs are prohibitive. However, shipping it one way and leaving it over there for three to four years would be an option. Does anyone have, or know of some space to store our Strom? It doesn't take up much room and is quiet and well mannered. Commuting distance to an Airport would be a bonus.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Tom, i've been thinking about this for a while :confused:~ not sure your idea would work? how would you get over the insurance & roadtax/annual test business? i don't know how the UK laws would handle long term imports ~ would your country allow my bike to use your roads for a couple of years without some form of test/registration?
Plus you'd get to lose the use of your bike at home?

Overall, i'm wondering if you might be better off actually buying a secondhand UK bike (or new if you're flush) & leaving that over here?
This week's MCNews has 2 x 2007 DL1000 GT's in for around £5000, and a very clean 2002 showing only 7200 miles for £2700 (good value!) Road tax @ £65 per year (or 6 months about £38 i think), annual test about £40. Insurance, 'pends on age, probably £200 to £300 pa ( could be done monthly) fully comp. quick maths over 3 years : £1200 tax/ins/test + say £1500 depreciation = £2700 = £900 pa or £75 pcm. Excludes servicing (say £200pa) & tyres (say one set lasts 8000 miles/two years use? £160) ~ these are costs you'd have to bear anyway if you brought your 'own' bike over....how's that compare with shipping?

Having tried to scare you off ~ i might be able to squeeze another bike in my shed:D. 50 miles from either London Heathrow/Gatwick. whatever, enjoy your Strom!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts