StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
this morning I warmed up my bike to (2) bars before leaving for work . I got to the end of my street and it was running fine. I get to the next stop sign and my engine died when i pulled in the clutch to stop. my fuel gagewas blinking so i thought i was just low on gas. When i filled my tank up it only took 4.3 gallons. the engine started right up and ran fine. i had plenty of passing power on a few slow moving cars and with no hesitation. when i arrived at the next stop sign about 6 miles later ater filling up the bike died again. i do down shift and apply the brakes and noticed when i was in the second gear range of down shifting below 2000 rpm's the engine was jake braking (engine was only running because the wheel was spinning, but not on its own). the bike started right up again and idled at 1500 rpms and ran fine. i had no issues yesterday or any other day. my commute is 17 miles of all backroads. the temp this am was about 20 to 30. this issue only occurs when down shifting to a stop. when i rev the throttle the engine stays running when coming to a stop. my idle has always bee up around 1500 rpms give or take a few and has been running great up until this morning.

bike 2007 dl650
adjusted valves at 15000, current mileage 15300
changed air filter and all 4 plugs at 15000
I checked the clutch and kill switch connections and side stand and all are ok.

is this the TPS?? the 2004 only has (1) the 2007 has 2. i have a manual, but is for the 2004

·
Registered
445 Posts
I don't know what is going on here, but every time someone (me) has a problem after they (me) have done some shop work, you (I) must analyze that work. Could there be a kink in the gas line? You say that you adjusted the valves, was there much of a change?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i rode the bike several times since the valve adjustment. it's been over 300 miles since. and it was running great up until this morning. I think i'll order a manual that covers the revisions for 2007 on up. i think if there is an electronic issue it's the TPS. i read another post and it was the culprit, but i'll ride the bike over the weekend some more and see what happens

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
You may also want to check the clutch switch connection. If it is loose, broken, or has been "jumpered", this will cause similar symptoms. This happened to me.

B.

Reactions: Generousrick

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I would suggest pulling the gas tank and checking all the connections that would have been disconnected during the valve check. Sounds like something has possibly come undone. If you didnt do the check, take it back to the shop that completed the work.

cheers

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies. i nust have had a some a bad gas or a bugger in there, because the bike ran great in the afternoon and strong as hell the next day. i was wheelieing over hills in the back roads.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Are you sure they didn't accidently send you home with a DL1000. 650's aren't supposed to stall.... or wheelie, either.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ha ha good one. my bike wheelies when i come over the top of hills when i'm pulling hard in 3rd, and 4th gear and sometimes take air. depending on the hill ofcourse. i have stock front sprocket w/45 or 42t in the rear

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yesterday morning my bike died again and again on the way to work. in the afternoon it happened again and again. today on the way to work it happened again. i'm wondering if anyone else has had this kind of trouble on their 2007 dl650?? i have 16,000 miles on it

·
Registered
35 Posts
I occasionally have an issue like this on my '06 wee. When I pull the clutch and let the RPM's fall back to idle, they tend to "dip" below idle and then catch up. Sometimes the "dip" results in a stall.

This problem went away when I installed new plugs at about 7k miles. Another thing you could try is raising the idle speed a bit, to leave some room for the "dip" when you pull the clutch. And finally, it might be worth winding the bike from idle to redline, WOT, just to clear any gunk that may have accumulated in the injectors over the winter.

"Really, officer, I swear was just clearing out my injectors..." :rolleyes:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Bad gas and clutch switch jumpering are the usual suspects in this situation. One other thing that can cause it is a mal-adjusted or bad throttle position sensor. The idle speed on '07 and later 650s is not user adjustable. It is set by the ECM.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 07 dl650. I haven't had it in the shop since the 600 mi first service. I just passed 4000 miles last week. Yesterday mine stalled as I was coming to a stop light. I was surprised and have been wondering if maybe I did not get out of gear in time and caused the stall. This is the only time this type of stall occurred. The last one was during a really long ride and I was stopping in a parking lot - It stalled just as I came to a full stop.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I saw this thread a while back and pretty much ignored it as my bike didn't have any problems.

Now my bike has been having trouble pulling out in the morning. I though it was due to cold (never had a problem before tho) and I had to give it some extra revs to get it going.

This afternoon as I was leaving work, I was driving through the parking lot and stopped to enter the main road. The bike stalled. I thought I forgot to pull in the clutch or something. Well I hit the starter and the bike would not start. The engine turned fine but as I release the starter it sputterred and died. Had to hit the starter 3 or 4 more times. Had me worried.

I'll post more if I have any more trouble.

btw, my bike is also an 07.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I've had a similar problem when stopping or slowing quickly. Almost as if the fuel was washing away from the petcock as I slowed.
Could the stop cause the gas to move far enough forward, for long enough, to cause a stutter.
Fred

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry to revive such an older thread, but I am currently experiencing the same issues.

I just replaced my spark plugs and air filter (15,500 miles). Prior to this my bike experienced the idle drop and consequent stall 3-5 times. Since yesterday (when I did the work) I have had the bike stall at almost every stop I've come to (I've ridden 30+ miles since).

I have an 07 Wee. Has anyone with this problem determined if it is a problem with the throttle position sensor or a clutch switch connection?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The clutch switch is only involved if it is bypassed or stuck closed. Otherwise, the TPS is the usual suspect.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts