StromTrooper banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My strom has always had the occasional stall when you pull up at lights. Not often, not regular. Iridium plugs didn't fix it.

I figured out what it is the other day. Probably should have ocurred sooner.

Low fuel level and hard braking. As there is no carby bowl, any momentary interruption of fuel by air, and the motor may stall.

Looks like the pickup is at the rear of the tank. Accelerating is fine.

I guess an accumulator wouldn't go astray.

Paul

·
Registered
48 Posts
Same with my M50. Once ran outa gas going down a hill. Had to roll until it was looking up again and started and rode up the hill to fuel. That's how I knew when it was really low, sputtering during braking. Wasn't a habit but happened too often :)

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
gee how low do u guys run the fuel down - i often filled 17-18 litres, which mean i have no more 4 litres of fuel left, and i dont have the symptoms you guys mentioned.

I remember john @ VSRI talks about the fuel pump being exposed by the time u get down to last 6 litres - try not to go there too often for too long, it might overheat the fuel pump.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
The fuel pump motor is cooled by fuel immersion.

If you're letting it get that low on a regular basis, you may be compromising the the fuel pump's longevity by forcing it to be under-cooled.

Replacement pumps do not have a reputation for affordability.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I just replaced my fuel filter. The pump sits in a nice sump at the rear and lowest portion of the tank. Half a litre of fuel will have the pump motor covered.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I just replaced my fuel filter. The pump sits in a nice sump at the rear and lowest portion of the tank. Half a litre of fuel will have the pump motor covered.
I guess I need to work on some new material.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Thanks for posting this, ME3! Being an avid do-it-yourselfer, I appreciate any info and/or experience someone can give. This info just goes to show that often a problem has a simple solution if we would just take a little time to think it thru to a logical conclusion instead of looking for some overly complex answer. That old saying: "Can't see the forest for the trees being in the way".:thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts