StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Likewise. I also do the car tires. Takes about 5 minutes each for 32psi. Gets the heart rate up :mrgreen:

Earl

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I carry a small hand pump to reinflate my tires after coming off of gravel or dirt roads if I am going to be on pavement for a bit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Look for a bike pump that pumps on both the down and up strokes, as it pushes a lot more volume than others. Anything geared towards mountain bikes will do that.

I'd recommend the Topeak Joe Blow Floor pump. About $40 on Amazon.....maybe about $50 in a bike shop.

·
Registered
462 Posts
One more here using a manual type bicycle pump. I use it for..... well adding a couple psi here or there. If it's more than 15 psi I'll use an air compressor. Nice way to get the ticker going in the morning when you have to add to both tires.

·
Registered
326 Posts
tyre pump

i also keep a 12 volt mini pump, wrapped in a towel under the seat, that plugs into my battery tender plug

twist the key, release the seat, unwrap the pump & plug it in

many of my friends have become quite dependent on it

it fits in a small sack & is about the size of a large orange, all wrapped up

if you're wondering about the size of some of the units on the mkt, just remove the nice plastic case they come in and you're set

the high end, dual action, bicycle pumps are also great solutions...

either way, keep a close eye on your pressure

good for tyre life & bike control

shiny side up

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
You can get away with putting bicycle air in your motorcycle tires, but I don't recommend it. I did this once before going out for a couple hours' ride on the weekend, and upon returning home and jumping off the bike, found that my riding gear had turned into a too-tightly-fitting spandex onesie with guady high-vis designs and sponsor logos all over it. All in all, it's a questionable (and potentially visually unappealing) type of "darkside" tire maintenance alternative.

Maybe just do this to get home in an emergency or if you want to pick and choose which traffic laws apply to you or not.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yup, I have a big old-fashioned bicycle floor pump with a good gauge on it in my garage and find that it's the fastest, most accurate way of getting quite a few extra PSI into the tires quickly.

My under-seat flat kit has a compact high end mountain bike hand pump in it. Yes, I will work up a sweat compared to having a 12v compressor, but really it is for those rare emergencies so I would rather have tiny and bombproof. Also, I already had it from my MTB commuting days. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've got a bicycle pump at the house I use to top the air off.
Also have one of those small mountain bike type pumps that clip onto the bike. Wouldn't want to have to use that puppy on a regular basis though.

I've also considered the mini foot pump that TwistedThrottle sells. Anyone have one of these, or tried it? Just curious how well it works before I'd buy it, even though it's only like $12.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I use one of my floor pumps to top up the cars, motorcycles and bicycles. I recently mounted two Tool Tubes on my HB crash bars. In one tube, I have a multi-tool and a small can of Slime flat repair. In the other tube, I have a tubeless tire repair kit and a compact folding bike pump. I used to have one of my expensive Blackburn compact pumps there, but I recently replaced it with a $ 10 Bell pump from Wal-Mart, in case it gets stolen. I would rather lose a $ 10 pump than a more expensive one. I have pumped up flat motorcycle tires with a compact folding pump, and it is sure the workout.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I use a pedro's floor pump for motorcycle, bicycles and car. Hand pump would be tiring, but a floor pump is no big deal.

·
Administrator
13,749 Posts
You can get away with putting bicycle air in your motorcycle tires, but I don't recommend it. I did this once before going out for a couple hours' ride on the weekend, and upon returning home and jumping off the bike, found that my riding gear had turned into a too-tightly-fitting spandex onesie with guady high-vis designs and sponsor logos all over it. All in all, it's a questionable (and potentially visually unappealing) type of "darkside" tire maintenance alternative.

Maybe just do this to get home in an emergency or if you want to pick and choose which traffic laws apply to you or not.

:thumbup:
That's a good point that may be lost on many!

In addition, I think the Bicycle pumps only pump Mineral air whereas a proper motorcycle pump will pump synthetic (or at least semi synthetic) air. Synthetic air will last much longer between air changes and has a much wider operating range.

..Tom

·
Registered
934 Posts
Look for a bike pump that pumps on both the down and up strokes, as it pushes a lot more volume than others. Anything geared towards mountain bikes will do that.

I'd recommend the Topeak Joe Blow Floor pump. About $40 on Amazon.....maybe about $50 in a bike shop.
This is a great pump. Mine is going on ten years old. I use it to keep all my bikes topped up and I bring it on the road if I'm trailering the bike behind my rv.

Sent from my phone...there will be spelling errors!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts