StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd been weighing the options for some panniers to mount on my sw motech crash bars. My choices came down to the Wolfman tank panniers, Wolfman "the Hoops" and some handlebar bicycle bags.
I looked on ebay for bicycle luggage and didn't see anything that grabbed me although others posted that there were lots of choices on there. Patience paid off: I found some "Axiom" bags for $15.90 each and free shipping. They were the right color (black with hi--viz strip) and a great price!
Per pair, the capacity for the Hoops - 180 c. i.
Wolfman tank panniers - 854 c. i. ($80 shipped) and the Axioms have 610 c. i.
That's more than triple the capacity of the Hoops. Yes, I'm cheap like everyone :mrgreen: but I'd have bought the WM tank panniers if I didn't think they would be too big mounted there.
Oh, yea, I also looked at the small Rolie bag but decided that easy access to food, gloves, money, and other stuff that would normally go in a tank bag, was more important than waterproof-ness (I've got Caribou cases).

Someone recently put up for sale their small Givi quicklock tank bag, citing a need for a larger bag for his trip.
I had an expandable tank bag that was very handy on a big trip last year - only to find it dulled the paint on the tank from sliding around. I wasn't going to have that happen to my pearl white Wee!
I love my tank bag and would recommend it (see pics. Its the small "rigid" one and, with the gas cap adaptor was about $120). Total capacities being equal, I'm looking forward to organizing my gear, having more places for things rather than jumbled up in a big, amorphous bag sitting on my tank.

The Axiom bags have a nice mesh outside sleeve for a kickstand foot, map, etc. on the outside and a coated interior to keep stuff dry in moderate rain. Plus, I like the way they look on my bike. I'm psyched! :hurray:

As you can see, I utilized a hole in the triangular brace on my motech bars for mounting the tool tubes up there. U brackets and ss screws from the hardware store cost almost as much as the ag supply tool tubes and made mounting pretty easy.
Another benefit: weight is low and nearer the center of mass. :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeesh! I uploaded 5 pics with my post. Will try again now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mark -
Yes. That's the one.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
NICE!:thumbup:
Except now Im searching for yet another thing that will piss off the wife:biggrinjester:
Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts