StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the bike magazine "motorcycle sport & leisure" took a group of bikes on a miles to the gallon challenge to see what they could get riding really steady. the winner was the honda nc700x which managed to get 94mpg & the new 650 v strom came in second with 77mpg... the rider said he kept the bike at 4000rpm in all gears ....these are all uk mpg not usa ..

·
Registered
305 Posts
On cruisy 80kph roads with no traffic I get;
* Cruisy riding ~80kph = 3.2L/100km (88.28 IM MPG , 73.50 US MPG)

- from the fuel economy thread...

·
Registered
255 Posts
When I was riding very very very conservatively, I managed to get the mpg up to 81mpg (67 us mpg). I was quite impressed.

However, my average is about 58mpg (48 us mpg)

·
Registered
14,142 Posts
Last couple fill ups I've gotten 59 mpg, American. With the extra fuel volume of the British gallon that translates to 73 mpg. So good mileage isn't impossible, you just have to go slow!

·
Registered
78 Posts
1055 miles thus far and have yet to be under 60 mpg. Not sure if the odometer is as optimistic as the speedometer but I'll take it either way.
I average far more smiles per gallon than anything I've ever owned and that is the important part.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
24.5 km/l now @~12,000 kms (89 octane, no ethanol)

I can and have got higher, but that's 'normal' riding.

Pete

·
Registered
964 Posts
I took a 700 mile trip recently - lots of sustained 50-ish mph twisty roads with few stops, and some 65mph (74mph indicated) slab.

I'd been getting about 53mpg (Strom's calc, not mine) commuting and around town, and was excited to see that I was getting 67mpg on my trip. "Must be all the sustained cruising," I thought.

Turns out at some point while futzing with trip meters I'd accidentally switched to Imperial gallons. Switching back I was still sitting right at about 53 mpg. In fact, my mileage seemed to drop off 2mpg cruising on the slab. I guess speed + wind resistance costs more than starting and stopping.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I guess speed + wind resistance costs more than starting and stopping.
yup, that is for sure! I notice a drop in fuel economy every time I go on the highway, where the average cruising speed is 120km/h. In town, my fuel consumption was 4.9L/100km. After a 30km ride on the highway, my fuel economy was 5.2L/100km. That was traveling at speeds between 120-130 km/h (actual)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I get 58 mpg on average using 87 octane w/o ethanol. About half my riding is at highway speeds.

Out of coriousity, has anyone measured the mileage decrease when adding luggage? I'm getting tired of putting on a backpack whenever I want to carry some items and I'm trying to decide between a Top case or sidebags.

·
Registered
14 Posts
with a givi 52l top-case the mileage loss 5ish percent or less, for my case

I think its a wash if your 6' or taller, definitely wash with a passenger

My average through over 5k miles is 60.X mpg us

·
Registered
56 Posts
Out of coriousity, has anyone measured the mileage decrease when adding luggage? I'm getting tired of putting on a backpack whenever I want to carry some items and I'm trying to decide between a Top case or sidebags.
It all depends on the type and size of luggage you get. As well as the type of riding you mostly do. A top case will affect the mileage much less than panniers, but you can get panniers in several different sizes and they all stick out different distances from the bike. I have some very large panniers (38L and 45L zega pro) and with them mostly empty and driving around town I don't see a significant difference. If I take the bike on the highway with them, the mileage drops significantly starting around 60-65 mph and gets exponentially worse the faster you go, because the wind resistance gets exponentially worse.

I have a 38L zega pro top case and did not notice a change in mileage with just that case on the bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts