StromTrooper banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts
Somewhere on this forum is describe how one can manually bypass the clutch lever safety switch - I've forgotten the process but it's super easy. Many folks have bypassed it.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I'm with you Rick.

You should never bypass the clutch switch permanently, the ECU thinks there is no load on the motor and it leans out the fuel, further complicating thing is the latest ECU has RPM assist so it increases the RPM as the clutch leaver is released and drops them again when the leaver is pulled back in.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I would have never associated the clutch switch with the symptoms. Now I know.
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. It took me almost 4 weeks to figure it out. A couple of the members helped me test this sensor and that with no results. As I was going through older posts from Greywolf I came across an unrelated post where he asked someone if their bike would start without pulling the clutch. I had never tried to start my bike (this one or my SV) without pulling in the clutch. So I tried it and it started. So that narrowed my focus and as the internet does I got pointed to the GSXR forums. There I found the smart kids who pointed out how many functions in the engine management checked in with that damn clutch switch.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Yes that is what I would expect from a bypassed switch

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
This exact thing happened to me, but on a 650 vstrom. What happened was the clutch safety switch became corroded and caused the safety 'engine kill' feature to kick in while I was flying down the highway! It could also be your kickstand switch too. These cheap little parts can really mess up your day! I disabled my clutch safety switch for that reason, but kept the kickstand one operational since it's much better protected and sealed up. Anyway, the replacement switches are cheap.
Turns out it's the kickstand switch. My kickstand spring is bogus so I must have hit a bump and it flopped down a few inches and turned off the bike. I lubed and greased everything and I will order a new spring tomorrow. The throttle cables, battery and clutch levers all looked decent. I really think it's a loose side stand spring.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
A bad spring will do that.

You can bypass that switch if you wish by joining the 2 wires but that will allow you to select a gear with the stand down, it has no other influences on the bike.

Sounds like you don't need it now but it could be helpful in the future.

Everybody should occasionally check that their bike will not start without pulling on the clutch leaver to avoid the other problems mentioned here.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Everybody should occasionally check that their bike will not start without pulling on the clutch leaver to avoid the other problems mentioned here.
Newer models (like mine) are different and has "no clutch start" as a feature, so...

21 - 28 of 28 Posts