StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I bought my wee it has had a very prononced lean on the side stand. I took the stand off and bent the top closer together. It only helped a bit and didn't last more than a week. I only leave the bike on the center stand when not in use but want to be able to use the side stand. The stand has some play when pulling on it. Do all the stands end up like this or did someone abuse it before me. I don't want to buy a used stand if it will not be any better.

Thanks

http://home.cogeco.ca/~muglor/04dl650lean.gif

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Maybe somebody raised the rear suspension, did you buy it from a real tall dude? To me, it looks like it's leaning too much.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Look very closely for bent parts in the sidestand.

Two ways to raise it. Weld more metal on the contact points so the sidestand doesn't go so far forward. You'll have to file the weld down to get even, flat contact and the amount of added metal you want for the angle you want. Or, bolt or weld a plate to the bottom plate so it has more thickness and the lean is reduced.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what others have posted, I think it is what Tmcgee said. I cranked mine up and it leans a lot.
Mike
What did you do to raise it up ?? When I went and bought my corbin seat the sellers Wee was lowered. It was very straight up on the side stand. I need to be about the middle point of the two. I did some research and it's said the side stands should be about 10 inches. Mine measures this. I think the side stand, pivot bolt, hole the bolt goes through on the bracket have a problem. Possibly all three. My wee has some rash on the stand side. I was told it was knocked over in the garage. I'm starting to think it may have been the last owners SUV that did the knocking. Take it to work tomorrow and snap some pics. Maybe pull it a part and look closer.

I wonder if the DL1000 has a taller stand. One on Ebay complete. Braket and all.

·
Registered
987 Posts
When I bought my new DL1000K7 one of the first things I noticed was a severe lean on the sidestand, so for a while I just kept a piece of wood on the floor of the garage where I always parked. Finally I decided to add about an inch of steel rod in the sidestand itself. It was a success, but I still wish for a little more length when sitting in the garage. When I'm out riding I don't find it a problem anymore, but my 1 inch lengthening job has been good for me. If anyone is in my area just bring a small piece of steel rod and I'll weld it in for you--no charge.

·
Registered
424 Posts
What did you do to raise it up ?? When I went and bought my corbin seat the sellers Wee was lowered. It was very straight up on the side stand. I need to be about the middle point of the two. I did some research and it's said the side stands should be about 10 inches. Mine measures this. I think the side stand, pivot bolt, hole the bolt goes through on the bracket have a problem. Possibly all three. My wee has some rash on the stand side. I was told it was knocked over in the garage. I'm starting to think it may have been the last owners SUV that did the knocking. Take it to work tomorrow and snap some pics. Maybe pull it a part and look closer.

I wonder if the DL1000 has a taller stand. One on Ebay complete. Braket and all.
I have not raised it. I put a new bolt on the leg to see if it was wear. No difference. I have a center stand now and I use it when I can. I just do not worry about it. I have had strangers comment on the lean. I do not know how you measured the leg, but the DL1000 measures a little longer than 10 from the bolt to the end. I do not know if it is the same on the parts list. The hockey puck added on is the way I have heard other help with the lean.
Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 2003 DL1000 didn't lean like this but my 650 does. I roud to work and played with it. With the DL on the center stand and the side stand down I can move the side stand up or out about 1.5 inches.

I know I can live with it but it's laughing at me now.

·
Registered
424 Posts
My 2003 DL1000 didn't lean like this but my 650 does. I roud to work and played with it. With the DL on the center stand and the side stand down I can move the side stand up or out about 1.5 inches.

I know I can live with it but it's laughing at me now.
Same here. My 03 was different. My 08 is different Just thinking about the 03. It was too straight up. I ground a little off the tab to let the arm go forward more.
Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK couldn't leave it alone. I removed the stand. See pics. The bolt had a space when tight. I made a washer fit. Unfortunatlly the top of the stand is bent from being loose. So it sits a bit better and the stand doesn't move / pivot on the bolt. It still leans more than some. Now I have bloody knuckles sore fingers but feel positive I have done all I can.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I thought the lean was a bit too much on mine too but it's fine now after I lowered the bike about 3/4 inch front and 1 1/8 inch back.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Be careful pulling it up straight after you mount it. I dropped mine the first time pulling out of a lean like that because of a slight incline.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Looks just like my K9..... severe lean due to stretching of the side stand metal parts...

I put a block under it at home, I try to park on sidehills :thumbup:

mostly I live with it...

·
Registered
167 Posts
the differences between bikes is crazy , I have an 03 1000 , and it always stood too close to verticle with the stand just a hair from tipping back if you pushed a bit forward, 2 weeks ago I ground a bit of metal from the stand where it meets the stop on the frame, now it sits a lot more secure , and it leans over like it should .

·
Registered
424 Posts
the differences between bikes is crazy , I have an 03 1000 , and it always stood too close to verticle with the stand just a hair from tipping back if you pushed a bit forward, 2 weeks ago I ground a bit of metal from the stand where it meets the stop on the frame, now it sits a lot more secure , and it leans over like it should .
I did a small grind on the stop on the 03 I had so it would not lean over so much.
Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts