StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, this is killing me. The bike leans slightly left while riding, and is exaggerated at speed. I have checked the wheel alignment, suspension alignment, etc. The rear wheel is lined up with the sproket, but I have experimented by moving it left or right, but neither way makes a difference.

I have checked the tire pressure, the handlebar alignment, the grip location, my seating location on the bike, everything I can think of. Bike still rolls down the road and it feels like it is leaning. Only feels straight vertical when the road has a right side crown.:confused:

What the heck can it be? And better yet, how can I fix it?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Man, this is killing me. The bike leans slightly left while riding, and is exaggerated at speed. I have checked the wheel alignment, suspension alignment, etc. The rear wheel is lined up with the sproket, but I have experimented by moving it left or right, but neither way makes a difference.

I have checked the tire pressure, the handlebar alignment, the grip location, my seating location on the bike, everything I can think of. Bike still rolls down the road and it feels like it is leaning. Only feels straight vertical when the road has a right side crown.:confused:

What the heck can it be? And better yet, how can I fix it?

Weird.

Maybe the bars are bent, ever drop the bike?

Are you sure it's not the roads you're riding on? Go to a flat parking lot and check it out. How about sticking a level on the bike to verify it is leaning like you think.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Weird.

Maybe the bars are bent, ever drop the bike?

Are you sure it's not the roads you're riding on? Go to a flat parking lot and check it out. How about sticking a level on the bike to verify it is leaning like you think.
New bars and risers - everything straight. Old bars were bent, though. Was going to stick a level on the crossbars to see what I see or if it is an optical illusion.

When you take your hands off the bars, does the bike track straight?
No - it goes left since it is leaning that way.

I have tried moving my hands further left on the bars which would put my weight further left, and push the bike further right to compensate. No cigar.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Two possibilities I can come up with:
The alignment can be off and cause the bike to lean since the bike is basically crabbing down the road.
If the old bars were bent, the cause of the bend could have tweaked the triple clamp alignment.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I might go ahead and unbolt all the bolts for the triple clamp and "reset" them while it is on the centerstand. I have seen several different methods to check alignment, but non really address how to make sure the tires are vertical!~

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
So the leaning is the symptom. The problem is that the bike wants to turn and you need to lean it to keep it straight.

Something is bent or misaligned. Triple tree or something else. The crash that bent the bars bent more than that. Keep checking.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Piece of glass on the fork columns should sit flat.

Distance to rim from each fork column should be the same.

Vertical alignment, bike up against straight wall, measure from top and bottom of each rim to wall.

I haven't done this on motorcycle, just bicycle, but lay out paper on road and ride straight over it, see whether tires are tracking in the same place. Several back and forth can tell a bit.

Odd problem

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
When you take your hands off the bars, does the bike track straight?

Usually a bike will track left on a crowned road when you take your hands off the bars.

Except in countries that drive on the wrong side of the road! Tracks right I would think.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I might go ahead and unbolt all the bolts for the triple clamp and "reset" them while it is on the centerstand. I have seen several different methods to check alignment, but non really address how to make sure the tires are vertical!~

Yea that's a good idea. I assumed that you had already done that though.

Thought of something. Maybe the spacers in the back wheel are not installed correctly. If they are swapped that might be enough to effect the alignment.

·
Super Moderator
13,087 Posts
After a low speed crash my 2006 DL650 wanted to go to one side. (it was a long time ago so don't recall which any.) I did tons of different things but ultimately it came down to undoing the top tripple tee and letting everything straighten out and tightening it up again.

..Tom

·
Registered
119 Posts
You may also want to check the rear wheel alignment. Between that and resetting the front forks, you shouldn't be pulling on a flat road.

·
Super Moderator
13,087 Posts
Or maybe you won't? LOL
I am in such a state of suspense over this.. I don't know if I can wait any longer for the report!

..Tom

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Not take away from the advice already given, why not start at a point and work your way through to the next.
As you know, fault finding is a process of elimination. Pull the front wheel. Check wheel bearings. If OK, pull the forks (Replacing Front Fork Oil Seals | Black Lab Adventures). Drain the fork oil. Check to confirm the amount of oil per fork, aka compare oil levels in each fork. Disassemble / strip the forks. Check the tubes for straightness against a straight-edge. Re-assemble forks and fill with new fork oil. Install forks and sundry.
Draining the forks is an easy but messy job that anyone can do, if they have the work space and time.
Once done, you have eliminated the forks and this can be ticked off your fault finding list. If you find something, then you have found the cause of the problem.
Next, check your handlebars if bent. This could also give the leaning sensation. Next check the rear wheel... but hey, one step at a time.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts