StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was riding home today, my 2011 V-strom (25k miles) just died. I looked down at my intrument panel to see that my temp gauge had gone out (just top block showing hallowed out) and the gas gauge out (just bottom block showing hallowed out). Also the yellow ABS light was on (you know, the one that usually goes out once you get rolling past 2mph). I was still riding engine going, then 30 seconds later, the engine just stops. I just threw it into nuetral and cruised to where I was only 100 years from home.

Needless to say, the bike won't start up again.

Is this just a dead battery? Have never had it replaced in the 25k miles / 2-1/2 years I've owned the bike. Ride it almost every day (summmer, spring, fall, winter).

Any help would be appreciated as the bike is stuck 100 yrs away but at the bottom of a hill and I can't get it back up to my garage. :furious:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
What happens when you try to start it? Does the engine crank? Do you hear a click? Do you have a clock readout?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a clock read out. If it sits for a few minute (5 or so) it tries to crank but dies. If I try it again immediately - nothing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone know which model Everstart battery at WallyWorld I need? I've got no time to look for an online or motorcycle shop where I'm located. Need something now as I've got to ride to the airport in the morning!!

Also - which charger will I need with said battery? I've got nothin'.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I would be sure its an AGM. They should have a cross reference chart, the strom battery is very common. Batteries Plus has good AGM units ready to install if you have one around.

·
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. Just curious, how long does it take to charge one of the suckers up? (lets assume I get a one amp like GreyWolf suggested)

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
A 1 amp is going to take over night. Find a battery that is ready to install. Skip the fill and charge routine.

·
Registered
877 Posts
A slow loss of voltage like that is more likely to be a stator issue. I would charge the existing battery and then if the bike starts, check the battery voltage with the bike running. If you see low voltage (under about 13V,) your battery is likely not being charged, which implicates the charging system (stator, R/R, and/or wire connections).

Oh, clean and tighten your battery terminals- that got me once.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A slow loss of voltage like that is more likely to be a stator issue. I would charge the existing battery and then if the bike starts, check the battery voltage with the bike running. If you see low voltage (under about 13V,) your battery is likely not being charged, which implicates the charging system (stator, R/R, and/or wire connections).

Ok, I guess it's time to take this boy to school. What's a "stator", what's a R/R?
I did just have a dealer install new spark plugs and air filter last week. Is there something he could have not attached back correctly that caused the battery to not be charged. Because up until this week, I never saw an inkling of a battery issue.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
In the spirit of checking simple things first, you may want to disconnect the battery, clean the connections, reconnect the battery and see what happens while you wait to learn all about stators and R/R's.

On more than one occasion, I've ressurected dead cars with this simple procedure.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you're right. I probably should have done that first. But in my hurry up and panic mode. I've already been to WallyWorld, filled the new battery and I'm charging it now.

And now I'm all worried about this Stator thing. Seeing other posts, they tend to go about the millage (25k) that I'm at from what I can see. But I'll sleep on it, put the new battery in in the morning and go from there.

THanks for all ya'll input though.

·
38,103 Posts
It would be best to find out what happened. A properly maintained bike shouldn't kill a battery that soon. A magneto rotor running around a stator generates about 60V+ AC and the regulator/rectifier changer that to DC and limits the top voltage to less than 15V. Marginal electrical connections can lower that significantly.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Oh, clean and tighten your battery terminals- that got me once.
+1

Check the make sure the bolts in both terminals on the battery are nice and tight. Happened to me on my old Suzuki Intruder once, going down the highway, bike just cuts out. Bolt on the positive terminal had loosened.

A bad battery usually gives you a bit of an indicator, and doesn't just die while riding.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well thankfully I don't think it's the stator (whatever the hell that is). The new battery (Walmart) charged in just over an hour (1.5amp charger). Inserted and bike started right up and has been good all morning.

And yes, you all were right. I should have checked the previous battery prior to running out and buying a new one. Once I got down there to remove the old battery, one of the connectors did have a bit of crusty material on it that looks like it could have caused a connection problem. Oh well, I've learned something for next time.

·
Administrator
17,410 Posts
Well thankfully I don't think it's the stator (whatever the hell that is). The new battery (Walmart) charged in just over an hour (1.5amp charger). Inserted and bike started right up and has been good all morning.

And yes, you all were right. I should have checked the previous battery prior to running out and buying a new one. Once I got down there to remove the old battery, one of the connectors did have a bit of crusty material on it that looks like it could have caused a connection problem. Oh well, I've learned something for next time.
Glad it was just the battery, you just never know how long those darn things will last.

·
38,103 Posts
It's going to take more than one morning to be sure.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I don't wait for a battery to fail. As soon as the voltage starts to drop after sitting a few days I replace it. 12.6 V. is the cut off. When it starts to go below that, it'll be time for a new one.
Then I put the old one on a battery tender (a charger that won't over charge it) & use it to power my air pump when camping. I always find a use for the take out battery, until it's really dead.
Let's hope it's just the battery. :yesnod:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts