StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first start the bike in the morning on cold days, it tries to jump forward. I have to hold it in place using both legs, and the starter barely turns the motor. By the time I hit the end of the driveway, everything feels normal, and when I start it throughout the day, there is nothing out of the ordinary. I assume that the oil is a little thick because of the cold and is causing my clutch to behave badly, but I don't know if this is normal, or something I should worry about, or if there is anything I can do about it anyway.

·
Super Moderator
13,054 Posts
Thinner oil would likely help (no talking oil here though that is only allowed in the Big Oil thread.)

If we knew what bike you had we might be able to suggest clutch adjustment tips.

..Tom

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,143 Posts
No, what you describe is not "normal". It is a sign your clutch isn't releasing properly. Cold weather can make this seem worse. Starting the bike in gear with it acting like is it could result in some unintended results! I would start the bike in neutral, then pull in the clutch and put it in first. Which could still result in it lurching forward if the clutch isn't releasing. If a 650 make sure it is adjusted properly. On a 1000 it likely means either there is air in the clutch hydraulic system or the clutch slave cylinder is needing rebuilt or replaced.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Perfectly normal for a wet clutch! Every bike I have ever owned dragged it's clutch on initial start in cold weather. No adjustments needed. As mentioned, start bike in neutral, (you should be doing this anyway) and you could try using an oil with a lower first number.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Bike "Jumps" when starting on cold days

Mine drags a little too. Put it in neutral and let it run for a little while. I use a 10W40 oil in Las Vegas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yup, normal for the Wee...starting in Neutral is always a good move. Also, move bike backwards after starting and clutch in/out before placing in 1st gear. That should prevent the "lurch" as it should force the clutch plates to unstick from each other.
No oil conversations but in the Big Oil Thread but because I have the Bridgestone BattleWings (2nd set) my clutch no longer does this! >:)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I all ways start in Netural unless kill it in traffic. Being a old fart of 72 and a bad knee from a kicker gear tooth braking in my late 20s on my shovel chopper it happens.If below 30 I start and let warm while I put on last layer of gear .

·
5,143 Posts
When I first start the bike in the morning on cold days, it tries to jump forward. I have to hold it in place using both legs, and the starter barely turns the motor.

I will stand by my statement that this is NOT normal!

Yes, a wet clutch can stick but every one I have been around would break loose before it got as bad as described above. Pushing a bike around in gear with the clutch in when cold will be a struggle. But nothing I have seen has ever required me to fight holding it ( I would hope a bit of front brake was in use also....) to the point it was pulling the bike along with the starter motor!

·
Super Moderator
16,859 Posts
Have to agree with Shelby, this isn't the norm.........bike can "slightly" lurch a bit, but is barely noticeable and most certainly not like the OP describes.

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
I've noticed the occasional surge attempt on various bikes over the years. Seemed normal to me considering the temps and the thick oil.
When it gets really cold do like they do in Siberia and leave the vehicle running to avoid freeze up!

·
Super Moderator
16,859 Posts
I've noticed the occasional surge attempt on various bikes over the years. Seemed normal to me considering the temps and the thick oil.
When it gets really cold do like they do in Siberia and leave the vehicle running to avoid freeze up!

True......but read what the OP's bike is doing, THAT isn't normal.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I suspect that if most any of us went out on a 30 degree morning and tried to start the bike in gear, we would experience a similar result, to varying degrees. Mine does this on a warm day - don't really know how it would be to hold back since as soon as it lurches and the starter lugs I put it in neutral and hit the starter again. I don't think it's a clutch adjustment issue since there are no problems after that first cold start. Just my own opinion, of course.

·
Super Moderator
5,130 Posts
I'm going along with everyone's assumption that the bike is being started from cold on a cold morning while in gear. That is a very poor procedure. The load on the battery and starter must be enormous. Try it some time. The bike will attempt to take off on you. It's good practice for that day when you need to ride home with a broken clutch.

It will be interesting to read the OP's comments when he returns. The symptom is common for wet clutch motorcycles and almost compulsory for most Suzuki's. Perhaps he is just exaggerating a tad.
I'm going with the "its normal but can be eased by changing to a different brand of oil" crowd.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm going along with everyone's assumption that the bike is being started from cold on a cold morning while in gear. That is a very poor procedure. The load on the battery and starter must be enormous.
I totally agree with this statement. I don't understand why one would start the motor with the bike in gear in the first place ?

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
"I don't understand why one would start the motor with the bike in gear in the first place "

I'm guilty of doing this without thinking about it. I seemingly always pull in the clutch and start the bike.
With all the safety switches on the bike it's difficult to start the bike in gear and on the side stand. I believe I've tried that too.
I have done the 'get home with a broken clutch cable'. Roll to a stop in neutral, turn the motor off and start the bike in 1st gear and chug away.
Did that with a jeep too. Sticking chintzy clutch rods!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry, I have been away. It is a 2007 650. The lurch is strong but brief. By the time the motor is running the pull is over. I have been afraid to change oil or play with the adjustment because once the bike is started the first time on a cold day or anytime it isn't cold, it works smoothly. I am guilty of starting it in gear. It has simply never occurred to me not to. That is an easy habit to break. If there were an adjustment problem, are there any other symptoms I should keep an eye out for?

·
Super Moderator
5,130 Posts
Sorry, I have been away. It is a 2007 650. The lurch is strong but brief. By the time the motor is running the pull is over. I have been afraid to change oil or play with the adjustment because once the bike is started the first time on a cold day or anytime it isn't cold, it works smoothly. I am guilty of starting it in gear. It has simply never occurred to me not to. That is an easy habit to break. If there were an adjustment problem, are there any other symptoms I should keep an eye out for?
Your more detailed description indicates that your bike is behaving just as all other early DL650's do. The fact that it is a cold start only issue means that all is normal. I would recommend that you get into the habit of cold starting your bike in neutral. I always garage my bike in neutral to prevent me from starting in gear. You will notice a clunk when you engage first, but this is also normal. Starting in gear when warm is not an issue.

Checking that your clutch is adjusted correctly is not a big job. Fresh or a different brand of oil may also lessen the effect.

Attachments

·
5,143 Posts
Funny how a few extra words make it all seem normal! Yes, if it pulls a bit then lets go and acts normal, that can be normal.

But you now know that the extra load you put on the starter motor isn't good for it, so maybe a change in starting habit to consider.

Different oils may make it better or worse. But there isn't all that much oil on the surface of the plates anyway. Most would be surprised at how dry they are when taken apart!

Try leaving it in gear, pulling in the clutch lever, then rocking the bike back and forth till it breaks loose. Then go to neutral and start the bike. Good cold weather habit for a bike that tends to stick the clutch discs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts