StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I rinsed the dust off my ‘16 650 with a garden hose before heading to town. About 1-1/2 miles from the house it died on me while cruising about 35mph. I had no time to diagnose it before my appointment so I left it on the side of the road and took my truck to town.

During my appointment I was of course mentally diagnosing the problem. I considered the clutch switch and side stand safety but remembered the fuel pump wasn’t cycling with the ignition. I now suspected the ignition fuse had blown.

Upon my return I pulled the seat and found the ignition fuse was indeed blown. I had previously wired my USB port into the aux plug which is part of the ignition circuit. Figuring I had shorted the USB port when rinsing the bike (I neglected to close the waterproof cover), I disconnected it and installed the spare fuse. The bike fired right up.

My next project will be running a separate circuit to my pc8 for the USB port. Using the aux port turned a minor inconvenience of a failed charger into a dead bike. You all might want to take this into consideration when installing accessories.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think the PC8 and any other product like that allows you to keep auxiliary circuits separate from the base originals that keep the bike running. Having that one spot for all the extra circuit fuses is great. Once I had one of the circuit wires work loose from the PC8 - no GPS. Had to use the point of pocket knife blade to get it tight. Remember to add a small screwdriver to your tool kit.

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
Good trouble shooting, yeah the PC8 and similar is ideal for having separate fused circuits.

·
Registered
658 Posts
You can wire your fused USB lead directly to the battery. Best to use a switch to keep it from draining your battery if it's going to sit for a long period of time.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can wire your fused USB lead directly to the battery. Best to use a switch to keep it from draining your battery if it's going to sit for a long period of time.

I already have a pc8 with plenty of available connection points. I had installed the USB port before the pc8.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I had previously wired my USB port into the aux plug which is part of the ignition circuit.
Same here, (ebay chinese cheap) USB port cooked itself before I ever used it, no water involved. Blown fuse. Disconnected it, replaced fuse. Never another issue...

Spare fuses are a must.

Reactions: wingstrom
1 - 7 of 7 Posts