StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a grip puppy over my throttle grip and then turned the switch on and hit the starter button I heard a pop and the bike died. I turned the switch off and then back on and got nothing. I have checked the Main fuse, the battery, kill switch all other fuses and they all are fine. I had a hard time putting the grip puppy over my Oxford heated grip but I can't imagine anything I could have done that would cause the bike to be completely dead. I have search the forum but I have not had any luck finding the answer. Does anyone know what I could check for next? :confused: Bike is a DL650 2007 with ABS.

Robert

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think we start with the fact the bike was working properly before you installed the heated grips. You maybe hooked up either into an incorrect circuit or installed backwards and are creating a short.
I would start my diagnostics by disconnecting you recent wiring job and see if it then is able to run. Then recheck your work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Bzar
The heated grips have been installed over 2 years and previously had a a grip puppy over the throttle side grip. I was just replacing one that was worn out. The bike has over 42,000 miles and has be been well maintained and was running like a top. That is why I am confused on what the problem could be.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ok, I have to ask. Is the run/stop switch in the run position? I was backing out a parking space in Billings, MT a few weeks and, as I cranked the handlebars to the right the bike died. Took me about 4 mins to figure out the handlebar contacted my tank bag right at the kill switch and shut the bike down...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hows your battery? Is it the factory one? I had that happen a couple times where i turn on the key all lights come on and when i hit the starter button nothing- headlight dashlights all went out. I could put a voltmeter on the battery and it shower it had 12 or so volts but as soon as any load was applied it went to nothing. Something to check! Cheers!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mangomadness you are the Man. I hooked up battery cables from my car to the bike's battery and turned on the switch, presto everything lights up. When I check the battery with the volt meter it shows 12 volts but I turn the switch on and I get nothing. It is the original battery and I guess it's time is up. Thanks again because you saved me from a major headache.

Robert

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Bike Died When I hit Start Button

Not trying to hijack the thread, but that sounds like Windows...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts