StromTrooper banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 DL 1000. Took it to a mechanic for Valve adjustment and TBS. He did the valves, air filter, then mounted everything back, got the bike started. Sounded good.
Then he connected the tubes for TBS and found one of the cylinders slightly off. So he was adjusting the screw and then suddenly the bike died. And now it wont start.
All the lights come on when ignition is turned on, Oil and neutral light is still on, but no fuel filter priming noise. No starter.
Checked the fuel filter by directly connecting to power and it primes.
Tried to jiggle all cables and switches (like tip over sensor), checked the fuses. No go. No Fuel Pump priming ....
Checked the handlebar switch, its fine.
Any ideas ..... ?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Is there a CHEC at the normal clock position. No fuel pump usually means the kill switch, tip over sensor or sidestand switch. Futzing around under the tank could have disturbed the TOS.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a CHEC at the normal clock position. No fuel pump usually means the kill switch, tip over sensor or sidestand switch. Futzing around under the tank could have disturbed the TOS.
Greywolf:
Thanks for a quick reply.
Yes, there is a CHECK at the normal position when I turn the bike on.
Checked the kill switch and it seemed to be all right.
Didn't check the electrical on the sidestand switch, it seemed to operate with the stand ok. Will check the electrical next.
Disconnected the TOS, didn't know how to test it - there are three contact points - Red/white/Black. How do I check the TOS? TOS is a strong suspect, just don't know how to check it.

·
38,103 Posts
The body of the TOS says Up on one side. That side needs to be the top surface. It's not the problem though. It will throw an FI instead of a CHEC. The side stand needs to be in the up position only if the bike is not in neutral. Cycle the kill switch and side stand switch a couple of times.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any chance it ran out of gas?
I had it low on gas because we were getting the tank off. (flashing 1 bar) but not completely gone. It ran after the valves, during TBS it died. When FP was connected to power directly it primed.

Does it have immobilizer by any chance?
Not sure what it is, so I guess I dont have it.

Is there a way to get codes off on a 2002?

·
38,103 Posts
You'll only throw a code with an FI. A CHEC won't as it's considered enough information. A CHEC will also appear if the connection between the ECM and the instruments is lost, usually at the large connector in the fairing. The fuel pump would still prime with a bad connection though.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Check your wires on your clutch switch. Though it should prime with that out of place.

·
Registered
237 Posts
2002 DL 1000. Took it to a mechanic for Valve adjustment and TBS. He did the valves, air filter, then mounted everything back, got the bike started. Sounded good.
Then he connected the tubes for TBS and found one of the cylinders slightly off. So he was adjusting the screw and then suddenly the bike died. And now it wont start.
All the lights come on when ignition is turned on, Oil and neutral light is still on, but no fuel filter priming noise. No starter.
Tried to jiggle all cables and switches (like tip over sensor), checked the fuses. No go. No Fuel Pump priming ....
Any ideas ..... ?
Not much of a mechanic. Let him sort it out. I suspect that he didn't put the bike back together properly. He's got a hose routed incorrectly and now the throttle linkages don't move freely. Or he didn't attach a sensor connection securely and now it's been giggled loose. At any rate, the fact that he's got you searching the internet to find a solution to his problem is not a good sign.

Just an opinion.

·
38,103 Posts
The clutch switch won't disable the fuel pump or display a CHEC.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had checked the fuses and all looked good.
Clutch switch goes with the starter (as GW said), so that can't be it.
It was running after putting it all together, and then while adjusting the screw for TBS it just died.
I am thinking sidestand or the TOS. keep you posted as i find out.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I finally took it in to the dealer ($100 to take it in):yikes:
Five days land $160 later :thumbdown: I hear back... its the wire harness and the wire harness if discontinued. So they have to go wire by wire and the estimate $600 ......... :jawdrop:
Even if I get the harness to put it in .... $300:headbang:
So questions: Can I get a harness somewhere myself?
How to go check cable by cable. I am going to have to do it myself.
Thinking how to get try bike back !!!:headbang:

·
Registered
180 Posts
The wire harness = 'we don't know' sounds to me like someone screwed up and is passing the buck.

You sure that when doing a TBS they adjusted the correct screw, there's another one nearby that's a no no to fiddle with. When I set mine up I must have turned it the wrong way and it went kapow and blew off the the throttle body boot, but still worked ok when I put it all back. Sounds like you need someone who knows what they're doing.

If you replace the harness and it's one of the switches etc you'll be back to square one.

Follow Greywolf's advice the mans a god.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
So I finally took it in to the dealer ($100 to take it in):yikes:
Five days land $160 later :thumbdown: I hear back... its the wire harness and the wire harness if discontinued. So they have to go wire by wire and the estimate $600 ......... :jawdrop:
Even if I get the harness to put it in .... $300:headbang:
So questions: Can I get a harness somewhere myself?
How to go check cable by cable. I am going to have to do it myself.
Thinking how to get try bike back !!!:headbang:
You took it to a mechanic to do the TBS.
The bike was working when you took it to him/her.
It would seem to be that mechanic's responsibility to give you your bike back in the condition you brought it in.
How/why did it go from that mechanic to a dealer?

·
Registered
816 Posts
My '02 used to have an occasional no start condition, but it would show an FI fault. Similar symptoms, lights would come on but no fuel pump. Turned out to be the ignition switch. I just lived with having to occasionally fiddle with it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everybody for help. Here is the good and bad news. After about 2 weeks went by the dealer, i was going to pick up the bike and drag it home and go through the electrical. I wasn't going to pay another $600.
I was showing him under the seat the wires that were touched so i was giggling up the wires. Then when everything was closed up, just for kicks I put the key in and turned. And :hurray: the purr of the FI was on!! Started right up.
Don't know if the dealer inadvertently fixed it while checking it or moving the harness wires around corrected some loose connection. But nonetheless, took the bike home next weekend and since then have been riding w/o any hesitation.
Bad part :confused: is still don't know where the fault was so there is that unsettling feeling if I am going to get stuck somewhere with a dead bike again....
But until them I am riding it.

·
Registered
22,321 Posts
Any ideas ..... ?
FWIW the EXACT same thing happened to my bike last week during 60k service on my bike

I called dealer to see when bike would be ready, service manager didn't know, they had completed the service on the lift, bike running perfect, mechanic goes to start bike for test ride, no start, with it showing check on the instrument panel

mechanic isolated problem or what he thought was problem, cause it was starting again with no issues, I pick bike up ride 2 days, then it happens to me about 40 miles from my house (50 miles from dealership) I remempered once having a kill switch issue, not at the switch, but at the other end of the kill switch pigtail where it plugs into the main harness, (black connector behind radiator, not the green one, you can get at it by taking off the left side panel and loostening the faring if you haven't got OJ Simson sized hands) but this time, it wasn't at that connection, it was at the other end of the main harness, a bad connection of the kill switch ground wire going into the ECU. Don't try tweaking pins of ECU, its too eekspensive part to play with. Connector had to come apart, tweak the female side of the connection.

Dealer sent truck 50 miles to pick me up, spent 3½ hours diagnosing, no charge

I would look at the kill switch pigtail first

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
22,321 Posts
Thanks everybody for help. Here is the good and bad news. After about 2 weeks went by the dealer, i was going to pick up the bike and drag it home and go through the electrical. I wasn't going to pay another $600.
I was showing him under the seat the wires that were touched so i was giggling up the wires. Then when everything was closed up, just for kicks I put the key in and turned. And :hurray: the purr of the FI was on!! Started right up.
Don't know if the dealer inadvertently fixed it while checking it or moving the harness wires around corrected some loose connection. But nonetheless, took the bike home next weekend and since then have been riding w/o any hesitation.
Bad part :confused: is still don't know where the fault was so there is that unsettling feeling if I am going to get stuck somewhere with a dead bike again....
But until them I am riding it.
I was typing my post above when you were posting this

originally, my mechainic thought it was fuel pump relay not getting good contact, he unplugged it an plugged it back in and didn't have an issue till I got stranded

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.