StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My 05 dl1k recently started cutting off mid ride. 67k

It's usually when I am at the lights and the bike cuts of electrically and the tach stays stuck at the same rpm while the bike is off. Turning the key on and off and on does nothing. The display light comes on after about 30 secs and the dial resets and does its motion like every time you start the bike.
I have not noticed any mechanical changes in the way the bike rides apart from this electrical thingy. The temps are always at two bars.

The worst case of this was when I was at speed and the bike just tried twice to cut off and showed f1. I did not know back then that restarted the bike cleared the error.

Any tips on where to start first?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Check that big electric connector under the front left side fairing. See if there is any corrosion or burn marks indicating poor contact.

Was there any work done or changes made to the bike recently before the trouble started? If yes what was done?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check that big electric connector under the front left side fairing. See if there is any corrosion or burn marks indicating poor contact.

Was there any work done or changes made to the bike recently before the trouble started? If yes what was done?
Will do.
Did the valves a couple of months ago and changed spark plugs. that's it.

I took the bike to an offroad park 3 weeks ago where things were a bit lary. But the issue was there since before that.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
There are also a bunch of connectors behind the radiator. Did you disconnect anything there while working on the valves? Possibly one of the connectors may not be seated right?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
as always, check tightness of battery terminals. this has proven to be the source of many an electrical gremlin issue on stroms. check the battery itself as well.

·
Registered
209 Posts
as always, check tightness of battery terminals. this has proven to be the source of many an electrical gremlin issue on stroms. check the battery itself as well.
Truth. My 1000 would cut out randomly when I first got it. Turns out the negative terminal was loose. Same symptoms with my friend's 650. I told him to check the negative terminal bolt and sure enough it was loose. Always check the battery terminals. It can't run without a reliable ground.

Sent from my ZTE Axon 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
387 Posts

So very very very this. My strom and my bandit both love rattling battery bits loose. Check both the screwed in bit and the wire connection to the ring terminal.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I removed all the accessories off the battery terminals and tightened things. It's running fine for now. I'll put some miles this weekend.

Thanks all.

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Battery terminal connections should be the first thing checked whenever there are any weird battery or running issues on Stroms. it is easy to do and costs nothing and takes just a minute to check.

..Tom

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Many many bikes have trouble with their battery terminals and the reason most people don't look at them is if it were in a car it would not start with bad terminals but on a bike it will fire up fine but give trouble later in the ride.

I'm with V-Tom, they are easy to check and a good place to start when fault finding, but really they should be checked long before a problem shows up, DO IT NOW why not.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I changed the battery and now everything is dandy.

My old battery had good voltage and I had rechecked the terminals but to no avail.

Thanks for the help folks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts