StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my used 2008 DL1000 for about 6 months now and just noticed the back end of the bike is slightly crooked. The rear fender is slightly off-center and the square top case slopes to the left, also slightly.

I can tell from the engine guard and front left knuckle guard that the bike must have tipped over on the left side at some point (very slight abrasion present, almost not noticeable). Since there are hard GIVI cases, I suspect the engine guard did it's job in the front, but landing on the hard case in the back probably torqued that part of the frame.

The bike runs perfectly and the exhaust looks even and the back tire seems to be wearing normally. Maybe I should just let it go, but now that I've noticed it I can't "unsee" it and I'm starting to contemplate trying to jack up the other side and seeing if I can gently bend it the other way.

Pros? Cons? Worth it? Risky? No big deal?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,309 Posts
Not at all uncommon to "tweak" the rear subframe when the bike falls over. Especially if it has panniers. While you can get a replacement, many have used some cave man tools to simply straighten it. If your wheel seems aligned properly I suspect it is just the subframe.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Take parts off until you find exactly what is bent. If the rear subframe is actually tweaked, I'd rather find a good used one from a bike with a front crash than try to straighten yours. Parts don't usually get exactly straight, and often the straightening weakens them.

In any case, I'd be surprised of it was the frame, but find out for sure.

---I just read shelby's posting. Maybe it straightens OK---if it doesn't, just find a good replacement.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. If the wheel seems to be in alignment, I guess doing nothing is a reasonable option too?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
My first 1000 had a tweaked subframe , but with the help of a 2x4 it was "untweaked". Doing nothing is an option , but it is a fairly straightforward fix if it is just the subframe.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I've straightened a few sub frames with 2 straps, 2 come alongs and 2 trees. We used to straighten dirt bikes by just laying them on their side and jumping on them. As long as there is no crease in the metal it should be fine. Check the mounting points for stress however

·
Registered
117 Posts
Doing nothing is fine. If you fix it yourself be sure and secure the bike well. You'll be putting a lot of force on the part you're bending back into position and you'll want that force applied as specifically as possible. Breaking the 2x4 and having the bike flop over on its side would probably not make you or the bike happy.

I've straightened bits on my SV that the PO crashed a couple times. Some of them I haven't bothered fixing. One footpeg sits about a half inch higher than the other. One swingarm spool mounting hole sits at about a 30 degree angle. I think the subframe would be a rather easy fix but might require a lot of dis-assembly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As long as the wheels are allignment you shouldn't have any issues. I would say it's a personal preference on whether or not you see it necessary to go thro0ugh all the trouble. I personally wouldn't go that far and fix it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I too have straightened a few sub frames on bikes. Anchor the bike down well (I used a truck bumper and strapped it to it). A pipe or 2X4 and a come a long. Not too hard, but if the sub frame doesn't bother you too much, forget about it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Straighten it!

If you use the 2X4 method, loosen the bolts that bolt the sub-frame to the frame first. Otherwise you may find the friction of the bolted connections don't allow you judge when it is actually it straight and after riding a few miles it could be crooked again. Also check the luggage rack. Those too can get twisted and in turn twist the sub-frame. I say give it a shot. It's a 15 minute job and since your sub-frame is already bent you have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
A friend of mine purchased a GPZ600R some years back. After a while it became clear it would turn right far quicker than it would turn left. After some careful measurement and inspection it turned out the frame was bent due to an undisclosed accident by a previous owner. My friend shipped it to a place that did laser frame straightening and paid a grand or so to have it sorted (plus shipping of course). When he got it back it was AMAZING! The steering was thought sensitive and very accurate. He spent a packet on replacement fibreglass, indicators etc and a full respray. Beautiful thing to see and ride when he was done.
In the end he hit a nasty pothole mode mid-corner (highway riding, it was hidden in a deep shadow) and wrote it off completely.
Was straightening the frame worth it? In dollars per kilometre usage afterwards, not remotely. In how it made the bike feel after it was done, totally! Would I strip my Strom down to check it all out just in case it's a couple of mm out? HELL no!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts