StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post! Well I'm in the market again for a used motorcycle. I currently ride a dr650 and looking to get a dl1000. I've got two in mind, one is a 2006 with 23k miles, the other is 2003 with 43k miles. Bought have some accessories on them. The 2003 has hard cases and is priced at $3500. The 2006 has a Sargent seat and would be a trade for my dr plus $2200.

That being said, I've read that the mileage really isn't a problem if the bike was cared for well. Both guys claim they are anal about the maintenance and have all the records. What are the major issues with the v-strom from those years or in general. I've hear somewhere, something vague about the efi system??

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
No major problems. I own an 07 Vee with 53,000 miles.

The clutch makes noise...always has, and most do. There is a modified basket to fix this Im told...I wear ear plugs when riding anyway. The clutch works fine.

Stock tuning is pretty bad below 4,000 rpm. I removed some of the EPA's accessories and had mine dyno tuned. It runs like a Honda now, perfect.

Plugs and air filters are a bitch to R&R. The tank needs to come off to do the air filter. Not complicated but tedious for something that requires constant attention in dusty places.

A few other very minor but common issues for the strom like leaking fuel at the injector rail. An easy fix. A small oil leak..etc.

Mine uses 1 QT of oil every 5,000 miles. It was run on synthetic since break in.

The valves do not drift out of adjustment very much but checking them is a chore. And its a shim/bucket set up so shimming is required if adjusting.

The bike is a handfull in the dirt. I bought mine for occassional gravel and forest service roads. One trail ride was enough for me, just not a dual sport IMO. But, it will hit 100 mph in third (if that is your thing) and run along at 80 mph all day with out so much as a fart.

I have owned many makes, styles, and brands. The Vee is a keeper and will be bike I wear out and not sell.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I agree with MoDaddy, its hard to get the pieces of weestroms out of your Vee's radiator.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It seems to be an ongoing thing, Planeman.....:argue:

It took me a little while to figure it out when I first joined here, but it's actually pretty simple....

Either you ride a Vee.........

Or pedal a Wee.
:mrgreen:

·
Registered
600 Posts
What they really mean to say is buy a 650 and you don't have to ask questions like what issues the bike has. BTW, keep your DR if you can. Its a great complement to whichever Strom you buy. Good luck and welcome.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a 07 Vee with a Sargent seat and the seat isn't a limiting factor in miles for me, so that may be a selling point as the stock seats are bad for most (me included). Was just out your way on a 8 day trip on mine and did a couple days of 500+ and a few 450ish and the bike was super comfortable. I'd do the 06 for the miles and seat unless you want to keep your DR.

What is the asking price without the trade?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He didn't have a straight out asking price , it was just with the trade. Never the less the 2006 guy emailed me last night and said that he went on his Vee today and had too much fun, it's no longer up for trade! oo well there will be others, I'm still waiting on the 2003 with 42k miles. That guy said somebody is coming to look at it today, and if it doesn't sell he will let me know.

Were there any issues specifically with the early model Vee's?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BTW, keep your DR if you can. Its a great complement to whichever Strom you buy. Good luck and welcome.

I would LOVE to keep my DR too as a buddy bike, but unless i find a v-strom for under 2k thats not going to happen.

Actually thinking about it, i did find a v-strom for $1,300 but i dont know it the ad is real, and\or whats wrong with it...

2006 suzuki v-strom

·
Registered
29 Posts
Got mine about a week and a half ago, and I LOVE it.
Easily the single best motorcycle that I've ever owned.

Both the Stock seat AND the gel seat suck IMO...

I'll let you all know about the Sargent after this weekend.

That is, providing that both the bike and I don't melt first... I never thought I'd say this, but it's too friggin' hot to ride.

105f here (according to the thermometer in the the little lady's Escape' ), with about 95% humidity.

Weatherman says that the heat index is just slightly less than the surface of the sun.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I would LOVE to keep my DR too as a buddy bike, but unless i find a v-strom for under 2k thats not going to happen.

Actually thinking about it, i did find a v-strom for $1,300 but i dont know it the ad is real, and\or whats wrong with it...

2006 suzuki v-strom
planemanx15,

Let me know if you are serious about the $1300 V-Strom, if you are and you get a good vibe I can ride down to look at it, I am not a bike expert but I would guess something better than nothing. Fredricksburg VA is about 1hr and 30 minutes from me.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Welcome

What are the major issues with the v-strom...in general? I've hear somewhere, something vague about the efi system?
I sold my 2007 DR650 (purchased new; 17K flawless miles) after I purchased my 2009 DL1000.

The 1000s are geared tall. I don't feel comfortable shifting into 6th at anything less than 70 mph. Changing sprockets is a popular modification for a lot of guys. 5th gear is flexible enough that I don't yet see the need to adjust the final drive ratio.

The factory mapping on the 1000s can be a bit lean at lower rpms, and again, the 1000 has tall gears. I solved this issue with installation of a Power Commander V fuel injection module. The price was a bit salty, but the PCV is infinitely tunable with nothing more than a USB cord and a DynoJet (or other) map download.

The stock seat isn't very comfortable. Admittedly, this is a subjective matter.) I'm at the point now where I factor the price of a custom seat into the overall purchase price of a motorcycle.

TM

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
Be Aware

The '02 and '03 Vees have a less adjustable (as in none) windshield set-up than the later bikes. If you are a big fan of full wind protection, one of the later bikes will offer more options in that department. Other than that, the bikes haven't changed much, and are pretty well bullet-proof if maintenance is done correctly and on time. If you get one, the first thing to do is have a look at the air filter to assure that it has a gasket on it. Some owners and dealers will pop in a new filter without swapping the gasket off the old one. Dirt in the engine is the result. The bikes are generally pretty easy to work on, don't require a lot of special tools, and tech support here is first-rate. Bought a used '02 about three years back, did the usual fluid changes and lubes, and have been very happy with what is a pretty stock bike though I did get the seat 'improved' over the winter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
planemanx15,

Let me know if you are serious about the $1300 V-Strom, if you are and you get a good vibe I can ride down to look at it, I am not a bike expert but I would guess something better than nothing. Fredricksburg VA is about 1hr and 30 minutes from me.
I'm serious about it and judging by the pic its got a ripped seat (no worries) but the guy has not emailed me back about it. I think I'll be the annoying guy and send another one..:thumbup:

There's got to be something else wrong for it to be that inexpensive...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts