StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somone suggest larger grips that you have tried and work well?
I looked at some "Grab-On Sport Tourers" today at the Honda dealer and they are for 7/8 sport type bars but I dunno if work with the end-weights on the DL650 or if there are other throttle-sleeve or etc issues. They ARE the right circumference for my hand so I am getting itchy.

pls advise

Zapp

·
Registered
351 Posts
Zapp

I have looked for larger diameter grips. All I can find is cruiser grips.

If you can find any that work please post it.

Thanks

B

·
0 Posts
I used Emgo foam barrels. They only cost about $7, are fatter where needed and help reduce the handle bar vibration

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
almost free

had an idea yesterday and gave it a whirl. if any of you have ever had cruisers, and replaced the stock grips with Kury's or whatever, this will make sense.
went shuffling through my stash of old unneeded MC parts and found two old throttle grips. The throttle side on those bikes is a sleeve with cable/retainer etc, covered by a gel/rubber/whatever grip. took it apart, slid a butter [dull] knife down the edge of the cover, put in a little veggie oil, and worked it all around. cut the part that was embedded under the cap [think circumcision], slid off. little oil on the strom, slid on.
length was near perfect. One BIG problem, they are different thicknesses! one came off a yamaha and the other a Honda. The honda one is much beefier. anyway, it works like a champ. right size now.
I just need to find a match for either/or!

Zapp

·
Registered
61 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Grip heaters under the foam grip covers

I'm thinking of the possibility of fitting heated grip elements over the stock grips, but under the foam grip covers. What do you guys think of this idea?

Both sides would need the same heat output because the left bar won't act as a heat sink since the existing OEM grip is well insulated. Which brand of heating elements has the same power on both sides?

B

·
0 Posts
those Emgo grips look to be replacements, as opposed to slip-over covers. Is this correct? is the right side the correct size for your throttle sleeve
yes they are replacments as opposed to slip overs

·
Registered
86 Posts
Zapp,

I went with the Grab-On's on my 650 with great success. The metal end caps are removed easily with a screwdriver to make room for the end weights. The set I mounted was the long variety (longer than stock and OEM throttle grip), but they are stiff enough that they work just fine with the shorter throttle grip. If I remember correctly you might have to cut out the end of the right one, then bolt the end weight through it.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
I pushed on 2 sets of grip covers on my stock grips for just the right feel.... I was use to the Harley sized grips..

Had'em on for 6 months now and they work great!!

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Re: Grip heaters under the foam grip covers

pismocycleguy said:
mark30pwr said:
I'm thinking of the possibility of fitting heated grip elements over the stock grips, but under the foam grip covers. What do you guys think of this idea?

Both sides would need the same heat output because the left bar won't act as a heat sink since the existing OEM grip is well insulated. Which brand of heating elements has the same power on both sides?
:D
mark30pwr
That's a great idea. I have been using Grip-Tek foam grips over my stock V-Strom grips. I like the larger size and comfort of the foam grips. But I have been trying to figure out how to have both heated grips and large diameter comfortable foam grips. I know about the temporary heated grip wraps, but I wanted something more permanent. Your idea was the perfect solution. I am ordering some Symtec or Dual Star heated grip inserts and will give your idea a try.
Thanks again for the idea.
Pismocycleguy
Hey guys, I had the same thought about putting the grip heaters between the regular grips and the foam sleeve. Did either one of you try this yet? If so, how did it work?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Couldnt get grabons here anymore but found the foam replacement grips for razor scooters work great,the same set has been on 2 bikes now over the last 3 years, cost a whole $5 and thats AUS, about $3.85 US.

W

·
0 Posts
I've used the ProGrip 714 grips (in black, not the pictured red color) 5 different motorcycles and I just bought some to add to my 2004 'Strom 1000.
These things are VERY comfortable and just the right diameter for an easy grip. The texure is very grippy, without having that sticky feeling of some of the softer, tackier grips. If you are going to use grip heaters, all of the little holes trap air and conduct the heat very well. All you have to do is cut the ends off with a razor blade, and you're ready to go. As I said, these have worked well for me on my last 5 bikes.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Warhammer
so, these REPLACE the stockers, or do you slip them on over the stockers? my problem with the stocker was just they were/are so skinny. my long hands wrap way around and it was fatiguing, so I put a cover on them.

but I like the look of that textured material. very tempting

Z

·
Registered
27 Posts
Jabco Grips

I, too, used the Jabco grips. The are really grip covers. I like them. They were relatively easy to put on, and did not require me to remove the old grips. The give just a bit more diameter, and reduce vibration. The only catch during installation is the end weights. They do not un-screw. Just loosen the screw a bit, and then wiggle them off. If you unscrew them you will pay hell in getting the pieces out of the bar. After removing the weights, lube them with soapy water, and they slide on. When the dry, they stay put. No slippage at all. :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts