StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

I own a 09 DL650 and find it a little under geared (To Low) so will going up an extra tooth or 2 on the front sprocket give it longer legs up high without making it work to hard in lower gears.

If so what would be a good after market brand of gear to purchase.

Happy Trails Groz.:)

·
Rjsurfer
539 Posts
When I went one up on my Wee I decided to go with the Suzuki factory front gear, it has a rubber dampener molded into it. I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not. Come to think of it I did change the front sprocket on my DRZ400SM using a JT sprocket and it didn't have any adverse effects.

Maybe I wasted a few bucks:confused:

Ron W.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Bigger Grear

I would go with Suzuki sprocket with the Dampener, I used a Sunstar 16T and it was very noisy and caused vibrations, gave it to a friend on another wee and it had same results, we're both using 16T Suzuki sprocket now, I believe for a GSXR 600, works very well, quiet and smooth, nice engine RPM's.
Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I would stop at going up one tooth on the ccs, any more than that and you'll really sacrifice acceleration.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No Worrys.

Thanks All for the tips on front sprocket,it would appear that a lot of riders opped for a 16T gear so does mean that the factory one is a 15T ?.

Groz from Oz.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Thanks All for the tips on front sprocket,it would appear that a lot of riders opped for a 16T gear so does mean that the factory one is a 15T ?.

Groz from Oz.
On the DL650.......Yes, a 15T is standard. I went to a 16T on mine and like it better but almost all of my riding is onroad.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the DL650.......Yes, a 15T is standard. I went to a 16T on mine and like it better but almost all of my riding is onroad.
G'Day Chewy,

Yeah cheers for that,15 it is so 16 it will be.Most of my riding will be no road with the odd offroad trip.

Groz from Oz.

·
Registered
780 Posts
G'Day Chewy,

Yeah cheers for that,15 it is so 16 it will be.Most of my riding will be no road with the odd offroad trip.

Groz from Oz.

G'Day...I think that you'll like the more relaxed engine RPM at higher speeds.
Acceleration slows a tad with the 16T compared with the 15T sprocket but for the type of riding that I do it's an improvement.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Big Gear.

G'Day...I think that you'll like the more relaxed engine RPM at higher speeds.
Acceleration slows a tad with the 16T compared with the 15T sprocket but for the type of riding that I do it's an improvement.
Hey Chewy,

I'm going for an after market 16t gear,a Suzuki one with rubber damping costs too much ($170AUD) instead of ($45 AUD) for the non. I might have problems with noise and vibration but I'll have to work that out.

Groz.:angel_6:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Hey Chewy,

I'm going for an after market 16t gear,a Suzuki one with rubber damping costs too much ($170AUD) instead of ($45 AUD) for the non. I might have problems with noise and vibration but I'll have to work that out.

Groz.:angel_6:
I used a JT brand 16T sprocket w/o the rubber dampener and I think that it might be a little bit more noisey than the stock one but I only notice it when the clutch is pulled in and coasting to a stop.
I think that The JT sprocket was about $15.00 USD.

·
Registered
180 Posts
For mostly road use, a 16 tooth sprocket combined with the Metzeler Marthon ME880s just about eliminates your speedo error and gives perfect (in my opinion) gearing. Mine is about 2 mph off at 60. I can live with that. It also means that at a true 70 mph your turning right at 5 grand in 6th. One nice thing is that that gearing choice essentially makes 5th gear like sixth used to be stock making 6th an honest overdrive. Great for road use. Presumably the gas mileage at higher speeds is somewhat better. Didnt keep mine stock long enough to find out. 4th gear is good for over 100 mph making it an even better passing gear than it was stock. I almost never have to shift in the middle of a pass, even if I am taking several cars at a time.

Try it you'll like it! :)

hotshoetom

Cheers!

·
Registered
180 Posts
17 tooth counter on mine and it runs just fine. Tachs 4600 at 75 mph.
Hey Ronnnie,

I am guessing that what you are quoting is 75 mph indicated...not actual. But I could be wrong...also, there is one other variable in this that may not seem obvious. The ME880 I am running is oversize so that accounts for a gearing increase. I tried this back tire with a 17 tooth countersprocket and it was geared too tall. Pulling away from a stop was somewhat more difficult and creeping at low speed involved much clutch slipping. The 16 tooth countershaft sprocket gives me almost the same thing you get with the factory sized rear tire and a 17 tooth sprocket. The larger front tire I am running helps correct some of the excessive speedometer error the factory size tire gives you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts