StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As usual with all my gear, I need your good advice - it has worked so far very well :)

After nearly getting soaked yesterday 2 hours from home, rain started but got really intense 30 minutes after I parked and still pouring non-stop (!), I want some rain protection..And the VT rally is getting close so I want to order tomorrow morning.

Read the threads, and 'Frogg Toggs Road Toad' seems to be the choice (V-Tom's advises seem to be very functional so far :thumbup:).

The problem, as usual, is my size.
Should I get XL/2XL/3XL?

Have a Joe Rocket 2XL-Tall phoenix jacket, and also Joe Rocket Alter Ego 2.0 XL Tall pants. Inseam is 34'.

What is the recommended size? Any big guys out there with Road Toad experience that can share experience?

Any advice and information is welcome.Thanks! :beatnik:

·
Registered
522 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
I wear an XL in Firstgear riding gear and wear XL Road Toads. Just got back from a 4500+ mile trip where I ended up in several significant storms in MN and again in ID. They worked great. I consider them a very cost effective rain gear for the casual rain rider... The XL size fit perfectly over my XL riding gear... BTW, I'm on the larger side of XL...

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
They're sized to go over gear, so order what you normally wear (my FT's are "Large" and fit over my large sized gear just fine).

One thing I'd highly recommend is sewing some elastic stirrups into the legs. The one shortcoming of ALL rain gear I've used that doesn't have closures on the bottom is they ride up and a big puddle or splash up can soak your calves or get into your boots.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Having used Frogg Toggs for the past 10 or so years I am interested in his question as well. I like the Frogg Toggs as they don't make me sweat when I wear them. I see that Frogg Toggs say that they have resized their suits. My old ones (which are road rashed) were a old size 4X and according to the Frogg Togg website they say the 2X should fit me now. I am curious if they have really changed that much.

I have also found that the Frogg Toggs keep me dry too.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I LOVE my FroggToggs. I got some bottom of the line ones and I have used them in the worst monsoon I ever saw in my life--and they worked just great. They are a couple of years old--I am a giant and I got 2XL's and they go over my riding outfit and feel great--not restrictive. I am 6' 6" and over 300 lbs--so I am pleased to find something off the rack that fits.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
I wear Bass Pro Shops 100MPH GORE-TEX gear.
It is not cheap, but it will keep you dry.
I have to work with first responders year round what ever the weather.
I had it anyways, so I didn't see any reason to buy different rain gear just to ride the bike.
It is sized to wear over your clothes and gear.
If you have time, you can watch for a sale and get it for 30-50% off (makes it more reasonable).

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.
I was locked into the Road Toads (read that it is light weight, packed small, and breathes), but just wanted to clarify the size (XL vs. 2XL vs. 3XL).

I talked to the Revzilla CS Rep, and he is the same dimensions as me. He confirmed that the 2XL is the recommend size.

Ordered a Lime/Black set.
$52 shipped (had a $10 cash back from them on Alter Ego 2.0 pants, cool!)..:thumbup:
Will post a review in regards to size once I get them.

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
BigMan73
Funny, I just ordered Tourmaster Defender raingear, plus rain boot covers and glove covers for the Vt. Rally-Boy Scouts do come prepared! Hope my gear fits, overnighted them from Motorcycle-Superstore.

·
Administrator
13,689 Posts
...Read the threads, and 'Frogg Toggs Road Toad' seems to be the choice (V-Tom's advises seem to be very functional so far :thumbup:).
Thank you!

I don't use the Frogg Toggs anymore for rain gear (I have an Aerostich Roadcrafter) but keep my old, worn out Road toads jacket in my topcase as an extra layer when it cools down. In addition, I have lost enough weight that my Roadcrafter is loose around the neck so in heavy rain the Road Toad jacket goes underneath and helps seal the neck area from annoying dribbles.

..Tom

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you!

I don't use the Frogg Toggs anymore for rain gear (I have an Aerostich Roadcrafter) but keep my old, worn out Road toads jacket in my topcase as an extra layer when it cools down. In addition, I have lost enough weight that my Roadcrafter is loose around the neck so in heavy rain the Road Toad jacket goes underneath and helps seal the neck area from annoying dribbles.

..Tom
Tom,
well...too late, I've already ordered.. :)
It worked for you in the past, hope you still think they are a good solution.
I'm not looking to ride many hours in the rain on purpose, just in case I get caught. It also gives me mental peace to ride on cloudy days with 50% chance of rain.

·
Administrator
13,689 Posts
Tom,
well...too late, I've already ordered.. :)
It worked for you in the past, hope you still think they are a good solution.
I'm not looking to ride many hours in the rain on purpose, just in case I get caught. It also gives me mental peace to ride on cloudy days with 50% chance of rain.
I still like them! I had great success with them! I might get a new one as my old one is prety beat up and they make great camp wear when off the bike and you don't feel like wearing the bike jacket.

..Tom

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hey, BigMan73. I'm also interested in the frogg Toggs. I look forward to meeting you next weekend, and checking out your "Toggs".

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hey, BigMan73. I'm also interested in the frogg Toggs. I look forward to meeting you next weekend, and checking out your "Toggs".
@TOScootz: First, let's make things clear, only my wife checks my "Toggs", yes? :)
Second, it is this coming weekend not next one - so make sure you don't arrive to just find out the party is over..
And third - I'm not sure I'll be there, and trust me I want to be there. Depends on weather - currently looks pretty bad. I'm waiting for the last minute.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts