StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding today with a few riders that I met recently on some tight twisty stuff we have on the North Shore of Long Island. They were riding on some hot stuff. A V Max a Z1000 a B King & a Monster. They really were not leaving me for dead at all on my Wee. About an hour into the ride we all pulled over for a coffee. Two of the riders walked over to me and one of them said " Wow that little shit bird can move along" I said " Stand back fellas I got about 67 HP at the crank" Thank GOD the road was not big sweepers or I would still be looking for them. :):mrgreen::mrgreen::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Long Live the Little Turd_Bird, and all the stereotypes she smashes. :yesnod:

·
Registered
987 Posts
There is a guy around here in my town who has a Honda VFR750 and he rides with some fast guys who say that Honda is ungodly fast because he leaves em for dead in the curves--AND on long straights he is out front there, too! So this 15 yr old Honda is thought to be crazy fast--but the reality is that the exotic bike riders all have a built-in mental rev limiter at around 140mph, no matter how fast their bikes are. The Honda guy has at least that much performance, so he can easily stick with em at the top end too.
Lesson learned: in high-performance riding its 99% rider, all he needs is a fairly fast bike and he can ride with most anybody.
There are a few exceptions to this rule, but they are rare.
My brother got a late used ZZR1200, which is plenty fast, even among the seriouly fast, and since he's a new rider he relies on massive horsepower for his thrills. He got hooked up with some very experienced guys and said after a long day with them, he said 'those guys have nerves of steel--they are comfortable at 150+'! On the other side, the fast, experienced track day guys were saying "that noob on the ZZR is incredible, we did everything we could to lose him, and he was right on our tails".
Lesson learned: Even though the brother was in over his head, the fast guys didn't know it, and lots of horsepower made him seem pretty fast.
This is what's intriguing about motorcycling--the things you encounter once in awhile give you pause to reflect, sometimes right out of the blue, and its an ongoing education everytime you swing a leg over.
Lets see--where was I going with this train of thought?

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Us old superbikers learned point and shoot.

Accelerate at maximum
Over brake and square the corner
Accelerate at maximum

Fun and safe

There are few (none) stimulating roads on the sand trapped glacial moraine that is Log Island

Ask these posers to come with you up the Berks into Vermont

·
Registered
552 Posts
I use to own a motorcycle shop (dirt bikes) way back when. I would have a year or two old race bike traded in that I wanted to sell. I would just use it in a race the next Sunday place well with it and it would sell on Monday. As was pointed out, the rider makes the biggest difference. Sure, pure power is hard to beat but how many sport bike riders out there can actually ride their bikes anywhere close to their full potential? That what I like about bikes like the Wee...not over powered, you can use what they have.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
I have to giggle at some of the 996 bragging around here, as power difference compared to the DL650 is modest and you're carrying an extra 50 lbs. Liter sport bikes are putting 170+ RWHP down and weigh less than 450 lbs wet.

The difference in the big power bikes is fairly small at speeds below 100mph. A difference of one second at 60mph is 88 feet. But coming out of a corner with those bikes, you have to be a lot more careful on the throttle than on the DL650, where you can just pin it. At CSS they spend a lot of time working on throttle control because pinning one of those bikes [BMW S1000RR] is like setting off a bomb, even in rain mode.

On the track at NHMS (1.6 miles, 12 turns), the liter bikes hit as much as 130mph on the straight where I max out at a little over 100. But they are only do that 130 for about 50 yards before they have to hit the brakes. The lighter V-Strom actually stops better and cornering speeds are very similar. They only gain 1-2 seconds a lap, all things being equal (which, of course, they never are).

At NJMS it's a little more open course (2.0 miles, 14 turns) and speeds on the straight and a few other areas are substantially higher. So the more powerful bikes can pull out 3-7 seconds a lap.

Here's a comparison from my GPS lap timer. The brown line is the V-Strom. The other line is an expert racer riding a 600cc race-prepped sport bike. He was just "cruising" at 1:19 a lap: he's done 1:14 and the track record is 1:12 something. My lap is 1:37 something, which is middle to tail end of the Intermediate group. I can usually pull out some 1:35's on my SV650.

Notice the peak speeds are considerably higher on the main straight, but the difference is much less on the rest of the course. The big difference is that he carries the speed longer, brakes harder, transitions much quicker, and is back on the gas much quicker.

There are other tracks that are longer and more open and some bikes hit their top speed.

BTW there are guys doing 1:16 and 1:17 laps on race-prepped SV650's that are at least 30hp down on the 600's. Even more than car driving, it's about balance, skills, and guts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was out riding today with a few riders that I met recently on some tight twisty stuff we have on the North Shore of Long Island. They were riding on some hot stuff. A V Max a Z1000 a B King & a Monster. They really were not leaving me for dead at all on my Wee. About an hour into the ride we all pulled over for a coffee. Two of the riders walked over to me and one of them said " Wow that little shit bird can move along" I said " Stand back fellas I got about 67 HP at the crank" Thank GOD the road was not big sweepers or I would still be looking for them. :):mrgreen::mrgreen::thumbup::thumbup:
Nice, Bill.
Go Wee:thumbup:

·
Administrator
17,206 Posts
Should see what a lil yamaha WR250R or X can do in the twisty bits, those boyz would really be impressed!:fineprint:

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
This thread reminds me of when I tried my buddy's Ninja 500.
I was teaching him how to ride and took his bike for a spin while he waited in the parking lot (no way I was gonna let him ride my GS1150; he had 2 weeks of experience).

I went down this twisty road with a slow speed limit, tried the bike out and liked it. On my way back, I was assailed by a couple of wheelie-popping litre bikes. I guess they saw the "beginner bike" and concluded that since I was wearing full gear I was a noob and decided to have some fun.

I lost them after the first curve (that baby ninja sure corners well). I got back to the parking lot and lit a smoke while telling my buddy how nice his bike was; I was half-way through the smoke when the two squids finally made it out of the twisty bit.

I think too many people buy too big a bike for them.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I took my wee to a Concours rally in Wellsboro, PA back in May & hung with the big dogs OK, but passing cars to hang with them is much more of a challenge with half the engine displacement. :yikes:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Anyone ever done a track day at VIR? I have to guess most bikes would top out on the straight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts