StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently on a B12 and am considering jumping ship to the twin world of stroms... I wont ask you to sing the praises of either the Vee or Wee ( I have read many of the threads)

my question is for the vertically and calorically gifted riders... what was or had to be done to the Vee/Wee upon buying it? This is more in reference to windshield and suspension mods

I am 6'5 35" inseam and about 240....

I couldnt find a thread that was just aimed at the Clydesdale rider...

·
Registered
603 Posts
The Madstat Bracket for the windshield helps and allows you to position the windshield at a place appropriate for your height.
Click here

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
6'-5" and a few pounds lighter without the gear. You're gonna want a taller seat either way. I have a Madstad bracket with a Givi screen, a combination that I like very much.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I am 6'4 inches and over 250 before gear..... lower foot sets would be nice, except I have caught my feet on the ground in corners already.... raising the seat seems like overkill, and the options cost an arm and a leg.....

mostly I just grin and bear it..... with the emphasis on grin... :thumbup:

·
Registered
766 Posts
Wee or Vee need re-sprung for the big guys. I'm 6'7", 210 and the my Vee was a vast improvement with heavier springs. You would benefit with different handle bars and a taller seat. I have a set of brand new bars for sale with the same bend as mine if interested. PM me for the particulars.

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Frog legs

My inseam is 34" and legroom is an issue to be overcome. I got a Sargent seat and while comfy I wish I had looked at taller seats. I highly recommend highway pegs. I just installed these:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/group-b...wcase/63510-hwy-pegs-v-strom-other-bikes.html

...and I think that I will like them very much. You have to first install crashbars and a skidplate (buy used with these already installed). This same guy from the link above makes skidplates as well.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Springs front and rear. Rear shock is a plus, or cartridge emulators for the 650.

I use the Suzuki Tall Touring saddle, about $200.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Springs front and rear. Rear shock is a plus, or cartridge emulators for the 650.

I use the Suzuki Tall Touring saddle, about $200.
thank you...thats the kind of information i was curious about... I currently ride an 03 bandit 1200s... the deciding factor IF i change over to a vee/wee will be if i get a particular job position I applied for...otherwise it may be more prudent for me to farkle my farkleless b12

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a friend who is 6'7" and rides a Wee. He put heavier springs in the front shocks and and Ohlin in the back. On ADV, you can get in on the group buy deal from Ohlin, which brings the cost down substantially.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm 6'5 260lbs 32" inseam, got the 650 as my first bike. It came with the Gel an stock seat, I used the stock until I got used to the size, now I really like the gel seat height. only other thing I have done to help with my size was grip puppies, I have large hands and the stock grips were way to small for me, the grip puppies helped my throttle control and comfort a lot and are a MUST IMO. Mine came with the madstad bracket, I would highly suggest one. I'm not at a skill level or know any better to have a problem with the suspension but at some point I'm sure I will stiffen it up.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Definitely suspension - anyone over about 80kg's it's probably a must.

Road only just springs are enough - BUT a new rear shock really improves the comfort level.
I've had my after market rear shock long enough that I've had to swap it out a couple of times for servicing - I'm always amazed how harsh the stock shock is when I do that.

Compared to many bikes fixing the suspension on a DL is pretty inexpensive.

Other than that, either will handle your weight one-up, with a pillion I'd recommend the 1000.

Pete

·
Registered
754 Posts
6"4" 260 lbs,On my wee I just put on a madstad,taller windshield,DL1000 seat and a heavier rear spring.That along with a fork brace worked really well for me.
I have ridden a 1250 Bandit and found it a lot smaller than my wee or vee were...
Steve

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
what shock do you suggest?
Lots of choices. Cheapest is probably getting the stock shock rebuilt (Sasquatch).
There are rumours that a GSXR shock will fit, (much better shock than the DL's) and those turn up often on Ebay - check that though before you buy unless you can pick one up for $50 :).

High end, Hyperpro, Wilbers, Ohlins - there are quite a few in the middle which will be more than good enough for mainly road use.

Pete

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
6'4'' 230 lbs with a Wee.
I tried the high seat, it felt very awkward so I returned it.

It works fine for me without major changes (MadStad resolves buffeting, but that is true for all heights).
I suggest you just ride the bike and then once you know what bugs you most, you can fix it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Excellent info... as big dude myself(6'4" 275ish) I will definitely need to make a few tweaks when I get my V... still sorta considering the Wee, but at my size, I'm sorta two-up all the time!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm about the same size as you, I cant say anything about the Vee, never tried one but I will say give the Wee a serious shot unless you are going to be running 2 up, its got plenty of power for me and the lighter weight makes it very tossable and fun to ride.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts