StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newest member of the WEE community. bought a 07 with 21k miles on it, for a steal at $2000.

the only bikes I've had before was a 03SV650, and a 05gsxr600. I sold the gsxr in 06 with the birth of my first son. Now that they are older I wanted something to ride again. I was looking for something to commute back roads to work, gravel/pavement mix, and take on some light trails locally.... nothing to gnarly. I would say 50%gravel, 30%paved, 20% trails. I do want to make a few trips into the mountains of WV to take some nice overland trails threw the mountains.
I'm a "Big Dude" about 6'0 240lbs. right now it has givi hard saddle bags, give extended windshield, and 2" bar raisers. I'm looking for the right mods for me. instead of buying more luggage, or other things, I would like to make it ride better. I know on my sv, the suspension was set up for a 130lb rider, so I'm thinking that would be a good place to start.
I'm a fork brace from adventure tech, but I'm not sure if I could get some better sprigs for the front fork, or new combo for the back? or what to do first. I seek advice from the infinite wisdom I've seen on this forum!

thanks in advanced... cant wait to be a active member on the forum... this seems like a good place to learn, when I have time and not putting miles on my wee! 700 miles the first 5 days of owning it! 3 out of 5 was rainy days! ill post pics as soon as I can!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Dude, new springs for sure. Go to the Sonic Springs web site, use their front spring calculator, maybe also email them and ask for a recommended rear spring. Rich there is a strom owner and great help here on the forum.

When you get the new front & rear springs be sure to set the sag to about 40 mm at both ends.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ya what PT said is a start. Stock stroms are not set for your weight at all. Springs front and back and proper weight oil in forks. Big difference. Jim in Ojai ca
PS theirs an ELka shock for sale on this site at a good price. Have fun

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is typical out of these 650's, my old sv was like a brand new bike when I sprung in for my weight. This will be my first Mod on this bike.
so far im putting a decent amount of miles on it considering the amount of rain we have been having. I decided I wont be a fair weather rider and go regardless, just have some rain gear in the saddle bags.

although I need to take off my jmv lower... it looks to sportbike "ish"

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am almost exactly the same size as you. I went 1.0 sonic spring with 15w oil front, And 750lb eibach spring rear. For my riding style the bike is set up almost perfect. Front is a bit harsh on washboard roads but is great everywhere else. I run just a little preload rear most of the time and add preload if im loaded. The only thing Im going to change next time I do the front forks is change the oil to 10w and drop the level a bit. Make sure if you get an eibach spring you get the adapters also.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Isn't there one step up from the 1.0 front springs? I ride her pretty hard, and my wife (105lbs soaking wet! Lol) will be on it sometimes.

I was going to buy a brace for a temporary solution. I heard so much good stuff about them. But I decided I don't need it.... Something's in the way anyways! Lmao

Attachments

·
Vendor
5,008 Posts
Beyond the 1.0 is very stiff so 1.0 is good. If you are looking for a premium Quality Shock that is custom built for you and your bike, Look to the Elka, you will get a shock that does everything you will want it to do for you,

I worked with Elka to develop this shock for our bikes back in 2006 and many many hundreds of the Elka Shocks have been shipped to our Fellow StromTroopers, Worldwide, who use and love this solution,

You can Email me Directly with your riding details at [email protected] The really good news with the Elka is that they retain a huge portion of their value over time so if you ever move on, you have a part that is highly sought after,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
Registered
69 Posts
Maybe it's me, but Im 6'1, 270, and I bought the bike used from a dealer. i don't know what's in it, but I feel the bike rides just fine for me. I am unsure as well, how/where the spring is adjusted to. I refuse to turn the knob, because my luck id never get it back to where it is.

·
Vendor
5,008 Posts
:) I hear what you are saying. There is a well used expression in the suspension world. The best you know if the best you have ridden.

Many riders in the Stromtrooper, Adventure Riding, and Dual Sport World have discovered just how much a really good suspension can transform you bike and your riding experience.

It can make the bike easier, more comfortable and more fun to ride,

I often tell my Fellow Stromtroopers, Rome wasn't built in a day, feel comfortable with what works for you and upgrade when you and your budget are ready,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

1 - 11 of 11 Posts