StromTrooper banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO here it is...finally talked my wife into letting me "kill myself" (riding) I have been riding dirt bikes in the past but haven't riddin for 22 years. I'm in love with the v-strom and its riding pos.,but my question is this... I'm 6'4" , 315 lbs, will a 650 work for me or do I really need the 1000? The 650 feel good, weight wise, but I have no delusions about my size. I like that its light, but am slightly intimidated by the 1000's weight since I grew up on dirt bikes. Your input would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
No problem with the 650 for a big guy. I just bought my third. No desire for a DL1000.

·
Registered
542 Posts
How could a big guy like you be afraid of 33 lbs? Once the wheels start rolling you will never know.

dl1000 460 / dl650 427

I love my 1000, but if I had a lot of city riding the 650 would be my choice.
My 1000's engine doesn't like tooling along below 3000 rpm.
Thank god I'm in the country and there's plenty of open road. On the other hand, 70 mph on the V is 4000 rpm verses 6500-7000 on the wee.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How could a big guy like you be afraid of 33 lbs? Once the wheels start rolling you will never know.

dl1000 460 / dl650 427

Thank god I'm in the country and there's plenty of open road. On the other hand, 70 mph on the V is 4000 rpm verses 6500-7000 on the wee.
Ok...well you got me. The price difference on a used 650 really has me hooked. But I'm glad to hear that the 650 won't breathe heavy under my backside. I would love a 1000, but economics rule here.:hurray:

·
Registered
934 Posts
I'm 290 an my wife is around 130. We ride two up all the time. The bike never feels slow.

·
Registered
241 Posts
IMO opinion, you will need to get better suspension, at least for the front forks. I am 115kg and riding a stock bike versus mine, there is massive dive under braking.

Assuming you are in the USA, it will be cheap to get the suspension fixed up from what I read on here.

Other than that, the 650 will do you. It is in no way a fast bike, if I could have found a 1000 in my price range, I would have got it, but the 650 does the job...my friend on his CBR1000 always seem to get away from me up the hills...if you're ok with that (like me) the 650 will suit :)

·
Registered
755 Posts
Love my 650's

The 650 will work fine for you,I am 6'4" and have ranged from 290 to 260 at the moment.You will also save on insurance and gas.I strongly prefer the 650 over the 1000 I had,but YMMV:yesnod:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Wow. This thread really has me reconsidering my decision on buying a Vee. Will have to keep an eye out for a Wee at the right price.

·
Registered
755 Posts
A lot of guys just love them though,so just buy what makes you happy!:thumbup:
If a really killer deal came up and I couldnt find a Wee :furious: AND the clutch mod was done, I would think about it....(but I would probably try a Bandit 1200 ,FZ1 or ST1100 or girly Tiger first ...lol!)

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Nathan,
You might prefer the 650 with the gearing lowered one tooth on the front sprocket (from 15 to 14) to give it more low rpm power. A sprocket is cheap, easy to change, and there is room to adjust the chain, making it easy to experiment.

As said above, plan on re-springing both front and rear suspensions for your loaded riding weight. Even if you find the 1000, it'll need re-springing as well. While you can ride the bike as-is, it is kind'a like carrying 1000# in a half-ton truck everywhere all the time.

You might also consider a trip to Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston. In addition to comfort, he will shape the seat to better fit a 6-4 rider. Richland Rick's peg lowering kit and fork brace will also help (peg kit for the long legs and fork brace for fork support for the heavy rider).

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you're going to spend a lot of time on freeways the V is great - in OD it is lopping along at 3500rpm. If you are riding around town the Wee is a much smoother ride. Either one can deal with a big guy. Wife and I have one of each.

P.S. Grew up (at least part of it - in Port Orchard). Fond memories.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You'll be fine, I'm 6ft6in and 242, 50 something or higher in age and rode dirt when I was young and stationed in CA.

Went through the same thing with the wife, but our son is what made her change her mind when he took the safety course and had 3 accidents she figured well if I'm riding with him he'd be fine. ROFLMAO.

We have a blast and ride all over the place, he has a 2009 SV650 left over from the dealer and got it last year, his first bike was a Katana which was a good starter bike for him.

I like my V-Strom allot, miss my Harley days but not the maintenance and polishing the chrome.

I'm not lazy but I have not given my V-Strom a bath since buying it and the dealer says it looks fine except for the back wheel and brake dust.

Good Luck and have a great time, riding is not scary, its the cars on the cell phone's around me that make it scary.

·
Registered
46 Posts

dl1000 460 / dl650 427

On the 2012 DL with 5k RPM's on the clock, the speedo reads 71 mph.......probably changed the gearing to serious overdrive for mileage. But it seems to pull well in 6th................

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
I have a Vee and have ridden the Wee. I don't personally see how people can say that the Wee would be "fine" for a big guy. The Wee feels like my Vee with me, wife and loaded bags in regard to power. I don't know if the two I rode were just in serious need of some wrenching (both less than 1k miles on them and were stock), but I could really feel the difference. Not only that, but the suspension felt really crappy compared to my Vee back when it was stock. Stopping quickly felt pretty sketchy.

The best way I could compare my experiences between the two were the differences between a 4 and 6 cylinder version of the same car. There might not be much horsepower difference, weight difference, etc., but you can actually "feel" the difference when accelerating particularly at higher speeds.

My advice: Get the Vee if you are actually concerned about it. Being around the size of a medium sized black bear, I have had numerous vehicles that seemed underpowered due to my size/weight. The Wee was one of them.

My $.02......

·
Registered
424 Posts
SO here it is...finally talked my wife into letting me "kill myself" (riding) I have been riding dirt bikes in the past but haven't riddin for 22 years. I'm in love with the v-strom and its riding pos.,but my question is this... I'm 6'4" , 315 lbs, will a 650 work for me or do I really need the 1000? The 650 feel good, weight wise, but I have no delusions about my size. I like that its light, but am slightly intimidated by the 1000's weight since I grew up on dirt bikes. Your input would be appreciated.
The DL1000 6'4", 300, 34 inseam
I just think you would be happier on the street.
Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts