1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
515 Posts
Agreed. I wonder how many people have moved out since this whole mess started a couple years ago...:beatnik:

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Could it be that most of the careless cagers have already hit one,:furious: and are a little more careful now?:confused:

·
Registered
662 Posts
It's interesting - there is probably a correlation between a 47% drop in sales from 2008-2009, but no real research. I recently finished an article about the subject that is probably going to print in an upcoming issue of City bike, probably Dec or Jan. If you're in the bay area, pickup a free copy!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Huge reduction in auto deaths also. I think it is mostly due to fewer people on the road. With fewer autos, less likelyhood of being hit by one, and add to that fewer cycles, and that people are familliar with the cycles they are on and it all drops.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it has NOTHING to do with safer driving or riding or any safety equipment, and that as soon as the economy picks up again (positive thinking here) we will see an article a year later that reads....Auto Deaths increase 40%....highest increase in deaths in years. We'll also see....Motorcycle deaths increase 30%, new push to mandate helmet use considered.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
The reduction in deaths coincides with the fuel price spikes of last year..... I'd guess that the drop in deaths is linked to people not driving as fast, or lead-footin' around, but instead trying to use as little fuel as possible. The easiest way to conserve fuel is to drive less, which is probably why there are fewer deaths......cars didn't get magically safer, and people still suck at driving - they're just not doing it as much!

·
Registered
413 Posts
The reduction in deaths coincides with the fuel price spikes of last year..... I'd guess that the drop in deaths is linked to people not driving as fast, or lead-footin' around, but instead trying to use as little fuel as possible. The easiest way to conserve fuel is to drive less, which is probably why there are fewer deaths......
Personally, fuel price is a non issue for me and my Wee. ...It gets such good mileage, I usually don't even look what it costs. What are you going to save, 25 cents?

My guess is the same as many others... It's the crap economy. Fewer new bikes, fewer new riders, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
It's more of a cars thing - higher fuel cost/less cage drivers = less cars hitting motorcycles!

·
Registered
360 Posts
It's prolly something to do with many of the things that have been highlighted above.

But a couple of points...has there been any substantial motorcycle safety legislation in the last year or two that could have affected the results ie: helmet laws introduced in some states that previously didn't have them? Over here in the Uk when a mandatory helmet law was introduce some years ago it more than halved the motorcycle death rate in just the first six months. That meant that around 1400 motorcyclists were still riding around enjoying their bikes in that first 6 months instead of being dead! Nearly 2800 over the year. It was staggering. This was not because people stopped riding their bikes either.

Shortly after the helmet law, nationwide compulsory motorcycle training for everyone was introduced. No one could ride a motorcycle without taking training first before going on the road. This also had a huge effect on the accident and death rate. As a result motorcycles have become more and more popular as each year has gone by. Yet accident and death rates have plummeted. Do you guys have compulsory training over there?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I don't try to analyze these statistics. I figure if I'm around to read them, I'm one of the 'fewer fatalities'! :thumbup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
MC deaths

In my state, auto deaths are way down, but motorcycle deaths are going up, if anything. And you would be very surprised at how many are single vehicle crashes. Speed, maybe alcohol, run off the road and overturn, hit ditch, hit tree, hit pole, etc (you pick). No cager to blame at all.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Do you guys have compulsory training over there?
Yes, every motorcyclist has to pass a test administered by the State. It's rather silly, and most all of the tests they have one do, has very little to do with actually riding a motorcycle in traffic. Things like making a 90 degree turn in a paint striped corridor only 3 feet wide....I had to pull my best stand-up trials-type riding maneuver to get my extra long bike thru that test stage! It was ridiculous. Most new motorcyclist take a weekend course at a local college, that teaches riders how to actually ride a moto, and if completed, they do not have to take the State test.

Many States in the US still do not require helmet usage [which still kinda freaks? me out when I see it -WTF?], and there haven't really been any drastic changes in vehicular laws, except for manditory seatbelt use [or get a violation ticket].....

·
Registered
831 Posts
Do you guys have compulsory training over there?
To the extent that one's State requires only passing a single riding test to earn one's Class M endorsement, we do not have compulsory rider training in the U.S. Taking a test at the Dept. of Motor Vehicles is not at all similar to being trained in a particular skill (in this instance, operating a motorcycle in a consistently competent manner). I say all this as someone who (a) used to live in the U.K., and (b) has taken the MSF's excellent Basic RiderCourse to earn my license endorsement.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
And you would be very surprised at how many are single vehicle crashes. ... No cager to blame at all.
I just did a quick tally of all the motorcycle street wrecks (13) that I've been in, witnessed, and have personal knowlege of (close friends).

The results:
single vehicle 77%
rider fault 85%

This doesn't count all the close calls where the rider didn't go down, those are too many to even start counting. I suspect the percentages for them are not much different. Nor does it count zero or low speed drops. Nor does it count anything that didn't involve pavement.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Must be a Texas thang! :yesnod:
Could be, but take note that this is over a 40 year period, we ride most all year long, and had alot of rider friends - one or two you might have heard of, or seen on wide world of sports (if you're old enough).

·
Registered
360 Posts
When compulsory rider training was introduced, a law limiting the size of bike (engine size) someone could ride during the first two years of riding was introduced. This law applied if you didn't take the extra more advanced training after passing the initial rider training course and test. Folks were limited to 250cc but could ride bigger bikes once they had been going on the road for 2yrs. Or, they could elect to take the advanced rider training at anytime and ride any bike of any size once they had completed that training successfully. It had one very major effect...it largely cut out the 'single rider, no other vehicle involved' accidents. Not completely, but mostly. The whole training and legislation exercise was hugely successful, and the folk who insisted their rights were being abused, and they wanted the right to kill themselves on a motorcycle without a helmet or training were trampled into the ground! It was a real success for common sense and it saved the taxpayer millions of pounds in hospital bills etc etc.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Starfleet,

I live in NC and just within the last couple of years they require the Motorcycle Safety Class before you can get your license. We also have the required helmet law here.

I guess it helps....but I'm more of the opinion that the drop is due to less riders (well and probably helped by less new riders).

Alan

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
To quote the Bill Clinton Campaign of 1992:

"It's the economy, stupid."

Motorcycling is a luxury.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts