StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I would like to have a big digital GPS speedometer on my windscreen. I hate looking down at the speed gauge.

Are the Ebay products super nonprecise? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
You could try this.... http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2012-2016/145649-cheap-guys-speedometer-fix.html

It's a Sigma bicycle speedometer, about 19 bucks at Dick's Sporting Goods back when I bought it. Mine was mounted with a homemade aluminum strap to the console, but you could just as easily stick it to the windscreen with some velcro. They make a wireless version too, but it's more expensive. The bicycle speedometers don't sample really fast, though, so there's always a slight lag when it's reporting your speed.

You could also use a speedometer app for your phone (provided you have an accessory bar that will mount your phone up in your line of sight where you want it). There are a bunch of different speedometer apps in the Google Play store.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Hello,

I would like to have a big digital GPS speedometer on my windscreen. I hate looking down at the speed gauge.

Are the Ebay products super nonprecise? Any recommendations?

Welcome to the forum!

How often are you looking at your speedo that it's a problem?

Are you afraid to take your eyes off the road for just a bit? Not making fun just trying to understand.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually have one bicycle speedometer already (btw nice job on your speedometer! :D), but I'd like to have one that is slightly bigger. (To be able to see it without changing where I look at all [if that is even possible])

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a Samsung Galaxy Xcover 2 for 28€ ($31). I think I'll go with that.

Now I'll just find out how to wire the charger to the front. I haven't modded my V-Strom in any way 0:)

Perhaps I shall 3D print some kind of mount, from which the phone cannot be removed from

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I checked my Garmin LM2455, and though there are multiple different dashboards that show your GPS based speed, none of them will fill the screen. For what you're looking for, a speedometer phone app is probably your best bet. Rather than investing the money in a standalone electronic device that may or may not exist, just look for a mount that will position your smart phone where you want it, and put the speedometer app on it. I have a Droid Turbo, and the app I used to use filled the whole screen, plus gave you other options like a tripmeter.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
If you're a DIY type of guy, this is a cell phone mount I made for my Droid. It's made from ABS plastic and aluminum, and it holds the phone really securely.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/members/41909-rcinnc-albums-homemade-cell-phone-mount.html

Maybe you can adapt the concept to a 3D printed design. It's designed to work with a RAM ball mount system. In the photos it's on the handlebars of my Yamaha, but I have homemade ball mounts at several points on the bike, so it can be on the accessory rail by the windscreen or on the left handlebar.

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
I bought a closeout HTC Android phone with 5" display for <$20. No service in it. Offline maps navigates perfectly. GPS speedo, full screen digital. Cheap ball mount with wired sun power. Don't bother removing it when stopping for a break.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
I bought a closeout HTC Android phone with 5" display for <$20. No service in it. Offline maps navigates perfectly. GPS speedo, full screen digital. Cheap ball mount with wired sun power. Don't bother removing it when stopping for a break.

Usb not sun powered

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
My old Garmin StreetIII has a screen with MPH, altitude and compass direction. It's nice not to have to look down to the speedo.
The GPS resides on a shelf above the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've had a garmin 1510 (i think) for years. it mounts on a ram, is waterproof, and it's pretty cheap, because it's meant for mountain
biking. i almost never use it anymore though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sun powered GPS would be cool! I'll look into that.

Now I'm trying to decide whether I want to mount it on my windscreen or just buy some handlebar ball mount arm thing.

Thanks for the inspirational pictures RCinNC ! I will definitely check those out.

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
I'm camera incompetent but both of my GPS mounts are up high so I don't have to look down for a view of them.
The left side unit is next to the left mirror and the other is, as I said, mounted on a dash above the instrument cluster.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts