StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I posted to the "off topic" forum in a thread about your dream bike. I mentioned my own past follies, including a Corvette.

Within an hour I had a spam message from Corvette Central in my personal email.

Coincidence? I have noticed this before but this time it stood out because I have been getting relatively few spam messages lately and this was the only one for a couple of days. It makes me wonder if the owner of this site is sharing the contents with subscribers who pay to be alerted to keywords. And by sharing I mean, of course, selling.

Or am just being naive to find this a dubious practice?

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with this forum. Some time ago, at the last place I worked, I went on-line to show a co-worker some gloves at Motorcycle Superstore. Forever after I would get pop-up ads from them whenever I put my work computer on the web. A few months ago I had my GMC truck serviced at a local dealership, and gave them my email address so they could communicate with me. Now, every time I visit the gm-trucks.com forum, I get ads for that dealership. A couple of months ago I was looking for repair info for my Stihl chainsaw, now when I access my gmail account, I have ads for Stihl equipment.

Big Brother, Little Sister, and all their cousins ARE watching and they ARE searching keywords and phrases. It is part of how the interweb works, and everything is monitored and cross-referenced.

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,114 Posts
This morning I posted to the "off topic" forum in a thread about your dream bike. I mentioned my own past follies, including a Corvette.

Within an hour I had a spam message from Corvette Central in my personal email.

Coincidence? I have noticed this before but this time it stood out because I have been getting relatively few spam messages lately and this was the only one for a couple of days. It makes me wonder if the owner of this site is sharing the contents with subscribers who pay to be alerted to keywords. And by sharing I mean, of course, selling.

Or am just being naive to find this a dubious practice?
Something similar... I recently bought a small car as a runabout to ferry my aging Mom to her various -- mostly medical -- appointments. I settled on a Mazda3 s Grand Touring Hatchback because it was zippy enough for me, and large enough with the hatch up and the rear seat down to hold a wheelchair or walker. I traded in my Mom's old Chrysler just to get rid of it, and because my granddaughter wouldn't be seen dead in it if I'd given it to her. Despite my original intentions of paying cash, I was talked into financing the Mazda through Capitol One. I assured the finance manager that I would have a sh*t fit all over him and his company if I ever received unsolicited mail from Capitol One about anything but the auto loan transaction. I am presently holding 15 pieces of such unsolicited mail, and yesterday my Mother's mailbox had a solicitation from Capitol One -- they apparently got her contact info from the title to her old car which was involved in the transaction. Where do I go to find somebody upon which to unleash a sh*tstorm? Neither my mother nor I have ever had any contact with Capitol One before other than watching their ubiquitous TV ads and tossing their general mailings...

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think it has anything to do with this forum. Some time ago, at the last place I worked, I went on-line to show a co-worker some gloves at Motorcycle Superstore. Forever after I would get pop-up ads from them whenever I put my work computer on the web. A few months ago I had my GMC truck serviced at a local dealership, and gave them my email address so they could communicate with me. Now, every time I visit the gm-trucks.com forum, I get ads for that dealership. A couple of months ago I was looking for repair info for my Stihl chainsaw, now when I access my gmail account, I have ads for Stihl equipment.

Big Brother, Little Sister, and all their cousins ARE watching and they ARE searching keywords and phrases. It is part of how the interweb works, and everything is monitored and cross-referenced.
I suspected as much. But there must be some form of collusion with either websites or internet providers to allow this access. How else could they get our personal email from a posting on a forum like this? Surely they aren't looking up everyone's user CP.

The wonder to me is that so many US citizens are concerned with gov't snooping, but NSA has never sent me junk mail and I doubt they care what kind of car I drive. I feel much more exposed to the private sector that seems to be watching everything I do, say or buy. And now that they can track my cell phone movements, everywhere I go.

If there is a giant file with my name on it somewhere I'd really like to see it.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Browser extensions such as Adblock Plus and Privacy Badger are very handy for dealing with this problem. Both monitor and restrict tracking cookies and web bugs (another tracking trick). I also use another extension called HTTPS Everwhere that forces sites to use secure protocols where available rather than regular HTTP. All of them can be adjusted to allow or completely block things on various sites as necessary.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I like the Ghostery free tracker blocker- which BTW, this site has 9 trackers currently running.
That is actually pretty low, I've seen sites with 30 or 40!

BTW you may be amazed by how fast webpages load when it doesn't have to load 40 trackers as well!

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the Ghostery free tracker blocker- which BTW, this site has 9 trackers currently running.
That is actually pretty low, I've seen sites with 30 or 40!

BTW you may be amazed by how fast webpages load when it doesn't have to load 40 trackers as well!
But the Ghostery site itself has about a zillion "partners" tracking users, including giants like Yahoo, YouTube, etc. At least they admit it.

Apparently you can run but you can't hide.

I have to say that late in life I'm gravitating inexorably toward Luddite status.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
So what happens if I block everything Ghostery tags?

Will the forum/page still open?

I see things like Google Analytics, and other trackers listing "Analytics" as their purpose for tracking, is that just a "catch word" to make us think they have a legitimate reason for their trackers to be allowed on the pages we visit?

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
So what happens if I block everything Ghostery tags?

Will the forum/page still open?

I see things like Google Analytics, and other trackers listing "Analytics" as their purpose for tracking, is that just a "catch word" to make us think they have a legitimate reason for their trackers to be allowed on the pages we visit?
I block everything (with Ghostery) and the forum and its pages open fine. At least in Classic mode. :laugh2:

One thing that doesn't work with Ghostery & Internet Explorer 11 or Firefox 38 and that is the Google Search box in the upper center (Classic mode). But it does work if you use Google's search website and "whatever site:stromtrooper.com" format.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I block everything (with Ghostery) and the forum and its pages open fine. At least in Classic mode. :laugh2:

One thing that doesn't work with Ghostery & Internet Explorer 11 or Firefox 38 and that is the Google Search box in the upper center (Classic mode). But it does work if you use Google's search website and "whatever site:stromtrooper.com" format.
Thank you.

I have 7 trackers showing on this page/forum.. I have now blocked them all.

Amazing to see that a couple of the other bike forums have no trackers at all, guess some are greedier than others when it comes to raking in the dollars by allowing companies to install trackers on forums huh? :confused:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
My favorite browser is Fire Fox because it has built in security features that go beyond a simple pop up blocker, also use add blocker plus and ghostery. My Kapersky virus/fire wall software also blocks all adds and trackers and has features so you can allow some things to get through that are useful.

I get very little spam, when I do its usually from my PAID premiumn Yahoo Plus mail, but if you use the Yahoo spam filter after a while it cleans up too. I get maybe one or two spam mails every few days, those are new. Hit the spam button and bye bye. Then use Malwarebytes Premium at least once a month. If you use Facebook, they track you like crazy and spam heavily, but they have apps to help with that. I use a Facebook add blocker with very good success along with ghostery, without them I wouldn't be able to FB with all the pop ups and even US Mail junk in my mail box. The junk mail in hard copy is amazing, I noticed a reduction in junk mail when I stopped my motorcycle magazine subscriptions. The full mail box of crap was very wasteful, always went straight in the trash.

·
Administrator
1,128 Posts
I'd like to just point out, we're a Canadian company, that type of spam is not just a jerk thing to do but it's also illegal here. It's equal parts cookie tracker and in some cases email addresses have been posted on the public board by members themselves. Sorry for the inconvenience but we don't do that sort of thing.

Kyle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts