StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Vendor
4,692 Posts
I looked at this several years ago when I had a DL650. Kinda pricey and a lot of labor, but if your planning on rebuilding a 650 anyway it might make sense.

However, given the prices available on left over Vee2s, the math doesn't make sense if your not already planning on rebuilding an older 650.. As modified, my Vee2 is within 2 pounds of the DL650. And it was all bolt on and plug in modifications.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
From my HD days I can tell you once you start down that road you stick a knife in your reliability.

Ill wait for Suzy to unleash a 1200cc V Strom.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
The first weak spot on DL650 performance improvement is the connecting rod. Push the envelope very far and you'll have a paperweight instead of an engine.

·
Registered
111 Posts
This would be interesting if you could build the engine to have only slightly more horsepower, but dramatically improve the low and mid range torque.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
This would be interesting if you could build the engine to have only slightly more horsepower, but dramatically improve the low and mid range torque.
Torque is a function of displacement and BMEP. You're not going to improve BMEP hardly at all, so that leaves displacement. A "dramatic" improvement implies a lot bigger increase than a big bore will give. If you want more torque, buy a 1000. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Torque is a function of displacement and BMEP. You're not going to improve BMEP hardly at all, so that leaves displacement. A "dramatic" improvement implies a lot bigger increase than a big bore will give. If you want more torque, buy a 1000. :)
"Dramatic" was a poor choice of words, noticeable would be more like it.

Plus given the fact that the 650 can run on 87 octane, that shows that there's room to bump up the compression.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
"Dramatic" was a poor choice of words, noticeable would be more like it.

Plus given the fact that the 650 can run on 87 octane, that shows that there's room to bump up the compression.
True, that will give you a bit. Probably not enough to feel.
Overall, the 650 motor is not a good candidate for significant HP or torque increases. The bottom end is just too fragile, and there's no fix for it. I've got a broken Falicon crank from one of my race SVs as a testament to that. :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
The V-Strom can never be regarded as a racer so why mess with it? Suzuki do two sizes for both types of petrol heads, one 650 that will do more than most can handle and the 1000 that can do the same with a little less effort.
Not sure where the extra power or torque is required as both deliver and depending where your riding then gearing may be a cheaper option.
I could understand this mod on the SV "maybe", but not on the Strom. Just my two bits!

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
Curious that I see mention of cranks suffering damage when most folks call the Wee bullet proof.
Is this more of the nature of bikes used for racing and power seeking engine mods?
Mine sees higher RPM occasionally but most of the time 5-55K rpm is all I need.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Connecting rod damage only happens on overbored bikes. You can thrash the stock engines without worrying about breaking them.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Curious that I see mention of cranks suffering damage when most folks call the Wee bullet proof.
Is this more of the nature of bikes used for racing and power seeking engine mods?
Yes. Racing use is much, much more extreme than anything you'll do on the street. I used to endurance race an SV650, the motor would run between 7k and redline for hours at a time. Plus, racing downshifts are much harder on the crank and rods then street use.
Even stock motors would occasionally break a rod or crank under that abuse, but they were generally motors that had at least of couple of seasons (100+ racing hours) on them. Most engines just kept going.
Mine sees higher RPM occasionally but most of the time 5-55K rpm is all I need.
You'll be fine. :)

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Yes. Racing use is much, much more extreme than anything you'll do on the street. I used to endurance race an SV650, the motor would run between 7k and redline for hours at a time. Plus, racing downshifts are much harder on the crank and rods then street use.
Even stock motors would occasionally break a rod or crank under that abuse, but they were generally motors that had at least of couple of seasons (100+ racing hours) on them. Most engines just kept going.

You'll be fine. :)
I cruse mine at 7000 RPM's at times on the interstate, it puts me somewhere at 95-100 mph, not all the time mind you, but when it's safe and the opportunity provides itself. The motor seems to actually be happy there, eats fuel, but is happy. If it is detrimental to service life let me know and I will stop, but the motor seems to like it.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I cruse mine at 7000 RPM's at times on the interstate, it puts me somewhere at 95-100 mph, not all the time mind you, but when it's safe and the opportunity provides itself. The motor seems to actually be happy there, eats fuel, but is happy. If it is detrimental to service life let me know and I will stop, but the motor seems to like it.
I wouldn't worry about it, I spend a fair amount of time there too. :)

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, I spend a fair amount of time there too. :)
Yea, I never really do since it just seems so natural there, heck the motor will probably outlast me.

·
Registered
240 Posts
There was someone on an SV site in a discussion about modifying for horsepower, he said that the 650 motor was fairly reliable up to 80hp, but problematic above that, commenting "Ask me how I know..." There followed a photo showing a neatly arranged grid of twelve busted cranks/rods.

I'm guessing he spoke with some authority. The number he stated seems reasonable.

·
Registered
125 Posts
There was someone on an SV site in a discussion about modifying for horsepower, he said that the 650 motor was fairly reliable up to 80hp, but problematic above that, commenting "Ask me how I know..." There followed a photo showing a neatly arranged grid of twelve busted cranks/rods.

I'm guessing he spoke with some authority. The number he stated seems reasonable.
I read that thread too. Over on SVrider.
But a guy has turbocharged his SV and got good reliability.
I'm actually thinking of one day doing the same but I like my bike so much I don't want to ruin it. Might have to get another 650! The 650 engine is smooth and I like the idea of getting the same power as the 1000 with much better economy.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I read that thread too. Over on SVrider.
But a guy has turbocharged his SV and got good reliability.
I'm actually thinking of one day doing the same but I like my bike so much I don't want to ruin it. Might have to get another 650! The 650 engine is smooth and I like the idea of getting the same power as the 1000 with much better economy.
LOL, it would be cheaper (by a lot) to sell the 650, buy a 1000 and spend whatever the extra gas cost than it would be to turbo a 650.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I know. :p
It's just the idea and the uniqueness as much as anything else. Besides, if I had a 1000, I'd want to turbo that!
Some people are just never happy! :)

On a semi-serious note, the 1000 would be a much better platform for it, that bottom end is overbuilt.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts