StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are old vids, but I didn't come across them until recently while consuming too much Vstrom content. Most of the time these kinds of things are pretty fluffy and I expect the manufacturers have a heavy hand in the outcome. This one seems to be fairly honest. No big surprises, other than the big 'Strom faired better than I thought it would in this company. Honestly it would probably be my pick even if money wasn't an object.

Street:

Dirt:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for sharing those videos. Very interesting how the V-strom 1000 was the "Black horse" for almost everyone. Very nice reviews too, and the landscapes and photography was beautiful.
The Suzuki gives 80 - 90 % of what other bikes do at 60% of the price of a GS.
the question "If you have to bike only 1 bike with your own money, which one would you buy? "
Unless you have money to burn in the chimney ... don't buy the most expensive ones. BMW, KTM, Triumph, Duccati top of the range are way to expensive and you will end up dropping it in the dirt anyway (adventure right). It's not just the bike, also the accessories, services, repairs, etc.

I am very happy with my V-Strom 650, and even though I really like the Africa Twin, I can't justify the purchase as a commuter bike 80% of the time.

Go Stroms !!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that test helped move me completely to the VStrom from the other bikes I was considering.

There was another video I watched not long ago with 3 random guys in Europe on some high mountain trail or another. Not journalists, just riders with GoPros on vacation. There was an Africa Twin, an 1190 Adventure, and a VStrom 1000XT. They were in some really gnarly terrain. More than the Vstrom was really designed to handle. Every other shot was of the KTM or Honda laying on its side. Usually the VStrom was parked at the top of the hill, its rider having walked back down to help his friends pick their bikes up. Now that probably had everything to do with rider skill, but I still found it interesting that the best rider of the three was on the bike least likely to succeed in those conditions.

·
Registered
99 Posts
that is very true , the bike can do as much as it can, but the rider is the one who make it happen.
Investing on riding skills instead of electronics aid to help you ride , is , in my opinion, the best you ca do.
That being said, I have not taken any special skills course yet, but I have try to learn as much as possible . Friends, Youtube, magazines, forums, there is an endless amount of information.
Sure a pro rider can do way more with my V-Strom 650 than I can do with the top of the range BMW GS though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I spent years as an adult on and off multiple street bikes over the years which I enjoyed, but honestly I never felt passion about. Then I watched The Long Way Around and that started a curiosity about adventure bikes and I went down the internet wormhole. I came across this video and now I am a proud owner of a Vee. Not only did this video help me decide my ride, it really opened my eyes to the versatility and performance of the adventure bikes. After seeing this I was convinced I have to own an adventure bike for sure! Since getting the Vee in July my wife and I have been on several camping trips and day rides two up. I recently discovered the MABDR and last weekend I spent Saturday exploring and had a blast. I honestly have not had this much fun on two wheels in a very long time. My naked sport is now up for sale as I have no interest in it at all as the Vee can even scratch that itch. I know I'm rambling but I owe a great deal of my happiness to this video and when friends look at me crosseyed and ask "why? it looks big and bulky." I point them to this video.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
The Suzuki gives 80 - 90 % of what other bikes do at 60% of the price of a GS.
the question "If you have to bike only 1 bike with your own money, which one would you buy? "
When I was shopping around for what met my requirements for "good value", I kept running across comments like this and is what convinced me that is how to spend my money. I did a long day ride with two friends in early spring. There was a SuperTenere, Multistrada 1250, and my DL650A. For what we rode, I was not holding up the pace, and when we were in the dirt and gravel, I wasn't worried about damage if my bike decided to take a rest on its side. Those two are constantly itching for something different because of reasons. I'm totally happy with my Strom. I like the upright seating position. With my farkles, it is comfortable for long rides on the slab. It handles twisties well enough for my skill and comfort levels. It is great for commuting. Since I can only have one bike (at this time), the Strom is perfect for me. It's fun to dream about having a stable, but for what i need, Strom is perfect.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
WOw, 15 Grand for a 1000?? My new 650 was 64% less.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I laughed when they said how light the Honda is. My riding buddies are on a KTM 790 and DCT Africa Twin. In our group, the Honda is Large Marge. I've helped lift it a couple times..."light" my fanny. But it's all relative.

I've thought about upgrading to something more capable, but honestly, my Wee is more capable than I am, has a ton of miles left in it, and my finances are not bottomless. I find the thought of taking a sixteen-thousand dollar bike off-road kind of terrifying. So I'm spending some of the money I've saved on farkling it up. Compared to buying a new bike, feels like I'm getting off cheap.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
If I could have any of the over 1000 cc ADV's it would be the KTM 1090 R.

Then the new V-strom.

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
I got my 2018 DL1000 demo for $10k, with a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty. That would probably blow their minds up in those videos :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts