StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont start many threads here just comment from time to time.

im running TKC 80's right now but man the price of these new shinko big blocks is right on.
804 and 805 Series | Shinko Tire USA

generally i see the price of the tkc at around $189
the shinko is running around $100.
Shinko 804/805 Big Block Adventure Touring Tires - RevZilla

not looking for opinions on knobbies vs dual sport vs street type tires.

just wondering if anyone is running them yet; or how good they, are how hard they are stuff like that.

thanks

kent

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Adult Diaper....Depends

They look good but I am opposed to most of this if it 90 street
and if your on up to fire roads then a real street tire would do fine

So need an explanation of what you intend on doing

Example, I run damp smooth rocky trails so I have trials tire on my trail bike for lower speed climbing

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Just mounted a rear up yesterday. Heading to the Romney Rally and needed a rear. Hope to do more "off road" this year and figured the price was worth trying.

Initial thoughts: easy to mount. A little slimy during the scrubbing in but that was expected. Took them down a couple gravel roads to speed up the scrubbing and it performed very well. No mud yet but will report back next week after WV.

The front is a Mitas/Sava MC-60, long story on the mismatched set.

Last, $115 OTD at the Iron Pony.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Adult Diaper....Depends

They look good but I am opposed to most of this if it 90 street
and if your on up to fire roads then a real street tire would do fine

So need an explanation of what you intend on doing

Example, I run damp smooth rocky trails so I have trials tire on my trail bike for lower speed climbing
LOL trail bike. my v strom is my trail bike buddy. tested out my new alt rider skid plate on a piece of concrete i found behind my house last night. dented the skid plate just slightly but it did its job.

like i stated i wasnt looking for opinions on knobbies vs street or dual sport tires. im just wondering how people like the shinko or if anyone is running them at all.

obivously if you are running this tire your not travelling across the country. when im riding if i see a dirt road or trail i go down it and get lost. i like to ride on grassy areas, dirt roads, trails, some freeway, some commuting. i dont care if it wears down on the tar and im not trying to be a road racer with knobbies on. plus if i ride any sort of long distance on tar yes it will wear them down faster but this is the point of this thread. shinko $120 vs $190 conti. i love the idea of being able to roost dirt/mud/debris for a good 50ft off the back of my 1000cc dual sport. lol.

Just mounted a rear up yesterday. Heading to the Romney Rally and needed a rear. Hope to do more "off road" this year and figured the price was worth trying.

Initial thoughts: easy to mount. A little slimy during the scrubbing in but that was expected. Took them down a couple gravel roads to speed up the scrubbing and it performed very well. No mud yet but will report back next week after WV.

The front is a Mitas/Sava MC-60, long story on the mismatched set.

Last, $115 OTD at the Iron Pony.

sounds good man report back here if you would.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Used Shinko tires once on my KTM 450. They are cheap tires. Crappy when new. You have to run them in before they grip on hard surfaces. They wear out in no time. Are hard to balance. Torn knobbiest on the third rock and dirt ride.
Cheap tires are a bad idea. I buy used bikes, but only the very best tires.

I would never consider a cheap knobby tire for even 10% on road.

·
Administrator
17,352 Posts
Used Shinko tires once on my KTM 450. They are cheap tires. Crappy when new. You have to run them in before they grip on hard surfaces. They wear out in no time. Are hard to balance. Torn knobbiest on the third rock and dirt ride.

Shinko makes fine tires, have run several sets on both my Strom and my WR250R.........they just plain work and are indeed cheap. MANY MANY here alone run them, very few have had issues and that was typically with the bias ply. Spend the extra money on whatever gives you peace of mind "if that is possible", the rest of us will save a few bucks and still enjoy ourselves immensely.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Max pressure is 33 psi. Thought was kind of low but according to Shinko that gives you a 716 lb weight capacity.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Not to stray too far from the thread but felt this needed addressed...

I've run both the 705's (GSA, Strom and KLR) and the 244's (DR350) and have never had any issues with them. The set I just took off the GS were starting to cup on the front. Not so bad that they needed changed out just getting noticeable.

Bottom line: are Shinko's the best or worst tire out there? Not in my experience. Dollar per mile cost is part of my decision process but not to the exclusion of performance (however you define that). For me, and many others, they are a viable alternative.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have two tkc 80 tires going on our two stroms, with shinko 805's ordered for the rear.

Also, I have had great luck with shinko 244's on the front of my DR, Kenda K 270 on rear.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Long Time Shinko user here. Lots of Ravens on my Bandit, FJR, R1150R, SV650, and F800. Even used a few of their Verge model tires on my FJR. They make great tires.

I've been running the 804/805 combo for a while now and really like them. Wear has been good for big bike knobbies. I currently have right at 3k miles on them right now and they look like they may get me to 6 or 7k miles before they need to be changed on the rear. Front is obviously showing slower wear I have now doubt it will go double the rear tire mileage.

I got my set for the cost of one TKC80 rear tire and I haven not been let down by street or dirt handling.

Here's a short video I did. nothing fancy and please excuse my shortness I was trying to fit my voice over with the length of the video. And I had a few beers while editing lol.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I have a pet theory about some MC tires ripping and breaking knobs etc.

I have seen people and paid mechanics just ram the air chuck onto the stem to set the bead. Most air line pressures are between 80 and 125 which I believe is enough to damage a tire internally

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have an 804 on the front of my DL1000, paired with a Mitas E07 rear. So far only about 300 miles with the 804 and I like it. About 200 ish of those miles are off pavement - ranging from decent gravel roads to some at times sandy two tracks, some mud etc. Better than the E07 off pavement by a large margin. Reports on ADV indicate one rider getting 10,000 miles on the rear, a few reporting 8,000 ish or projecting around that based on progress so far - clearly the front should go comparable or more. So far I am sold. Once my E07 rear wears out (it will be a while as it only has 1,000 miles on it, and I should see 8 to 10,000), I likely will run a 805 rear.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sounds like you guys are getting good mileage number out of them.
thanks for the input.
when my tkc wears out i will prob go with these tires.

·
Registered
165 Posts
shinko

Got the Shinko 805 big block mounted on the rear of my wives DL 650 paired with a TKC big block front. Went for a ride today, around 150 miles. I am impressed with how smooth these things ride. Also grip well, I was pushing hard through some corners with no felt slippage. Can't wait to get mine mounted on my Strom. If these go 6-7k miles, they will be a killer deal, almost double the mileage as TKC and Kenda big block tires are reported to get.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have had bad experiences with shinko tires on past bikes so I try to stay away no matter what. Metzeler tourance tires are my go to currently. Great mix between on road and off and pretty decent price.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'd guesstimate I have well over 100,000 miles on Shinkos with zero issues thus far.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
After 1300 miles...

Just got back two days ago from the Romney Rally. I mounted an 805 with an MC-60 front just before leaving. The terrain I rode was a mix of pavement (twisty and interstate), gravel, dirt and mud. The gravel varied in size from 'normal' to bigger, all on public roads.

If you're familiar with Dolly Sods WV you get the picture. Pressures on most of the trip were 33 psi cold (both manufacturers max pressures).

I did air down for one days trip (215 miles) to 30 psi because we were going to be in every bit of the terrain, with the exception of interstate, listed above. The trips out and back had me loaded with camping gear as well as had me seeing the highest sustained speeds (70 mph). I guesstimate the weight to be 900-950 lbs.

The two days of riding around there were just me, the bike and a tank bag. Guesstimate around 850 lbs.

Starting tread depth was 10 mm. It is now at 8 mm. I figure about 6k miles of useable life.

Performance was very good, both on and off pavement. Very predictable. Only one instance when leaned way over did it feel a little loose. Only lasted a instant and didn't actually break loose.

They do hum going down the road but that's to be expected with this type of tire.

Bottom line: i like them but the short tread life will be a factor. Enough to stop me from buying them again? Too soon to tell but as of right now that's the only negative i can see. I'll post back with another update after some more miles.

Ride safe!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts