StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to me 2011 V-Strom 650 with ABS. I am 6 foot 320 pounds :surprise: (down 50 pounds, still working it down). I have the pre-loads maxed out. Ride is not bad, all things considered, but not something I would push in curves with confidence. So I am beginning to ponder some suspension mods for heavy riders. I have looked at new front springs and valves from Race Tech, which seem like an affordable option for the front, but the back seems to really require expensive aftermarket shocks. Ouch! :crying2:

What are some of my options? Best bang for the buck? Any cheap hacks? :confused:

Rmpl

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The rear can be resprung. It can even be rebuilt by http://www.motocd.com/ or Adventure Power Sports, LLC and maybe a few more places though most places will tell you it's a sealed and non rebuildable unit. A respring or even a rebuild is less expensive than a new shock.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Norwest Suspension can rebuild an OEM shock with your riding style and weight in mind. I checked them out for a rebuild on my Super Tenere shock, and they sound really reasonable. I'm fairly certain they rebuild DL650 shocks.

Cogent Dynamics is a good choice for an aftermarket shock. They have their own in-house design that looks really nice, and it's about half the price of an Ohlins. I had them respring my DL650 rear shock a few years back, and they were an excellent company to deal with.

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Contact Jamie Daugherty at DMR Motorsports, he can do both front and rear for you.

DMr Performance Suspension

IMO, you really need at least a re-valved shock, not just a re-spring. If you just re-spring it you'll end up short on rebound damping, which will be a problem if you're enjoying the twisties at more than a very moderate pace.

Congrats on the weight loss so far, keep up the good work!! :)

Reactions: blaustrom

·
Registered
22,279 Posts
I weigh nearly 300, and when I get my gear on, I'm in the 310-315 range, I always have one of my side cases filled with tools roadside emergency stuff, etc, I estimate that at 40lbs, I want to wo more 2up touring with my GF, she isn't a lightweight, with her gear and HANDBAG ( I think there might be a kitchen sink in there) add another 200 plus any cargo we may bring along.

being a support the local vendor guy, I went to my local experts, a shop in the next town over from where I live, and the owner lives in my town about 3 miles away from me

this particular vendor is world renown for it's expertise in dirtbikes , but not so much for streetbikes, but they can get street suspension stuff, if the customer is willing to pay the price, They got in tough with their factory experts in Austria with my requirements

YES, I paid the BIG $$$$ nearly $1500 in total , but for a WP Suspension, (same shock that is in the big KTM Adventure), tuned, and new WP front spring as well 5way adjustable

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Not to derail the thread, but does anyone know what the stock spring rates are for the 2016 DL650A? At 220 lbs. I was expecting to need suspension upgrades, but am pleasantly surprised to find the bike feels perfect. It's smooth over rough pavement and very stable in hard corners, even when encountering some mid corner bumps.

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Not to derail the thread, but does anyone know what the stock spring rates are for the 2016 DL650A? At 220 lbs. I was expecting to need suspension upgrades, but am pleasantly surprised to find the bike feels perfect. It's smooth over rough pavement and very stable in hard corners, even when encountering some mid corner bumps.
The fork springs are dual rate, roughly 0.65 for the first half of travel and 0.85 for the second half. Not certain on the shock, but I believe it to be in the 8.0-8.5 range.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Thanks Rich. That explains why it's so plush over bumps at cruising speeds but stays planted in harder corners. I've been pushing it on my favorite mountain road, and carrying just as much speed as I did on the SV. I like it. (Of course it's probably just me, not the bike- that's just how fast I go, I'm sure there are plenty of riders who could go faster, no matter what bike they were on.)

·
Vendor
5,244 Posts
I used a Wllbers spring on a stock DL650 shock along with Sonic springs and was very pleased with the result. Sonic springs has a spring rate calculator that is very helpful. They may be selling shock springs now too, I'm not sure. Great quality, less middlemen, not as high priced as Racetech.

On the stock shock I just turned the rebound dampening up to full and then backed off a 1/4 turn.

We also have Progressive Suspension Shocks for the Stroms. It will provide much more adjustability to tune it for your weight and riding style, but it cost more than just buying a new shock.

http://www.adventuretech.biz/aftermarket-rear-shocks.html

·
Registered
314 Posts
Well at + your weight, I did do the race tech internals and valving. I also got a rear spring from race tech( according to their weight scale) and took the shock to Pro-action suspension. They reworked the internals drilled and tapped the stick shock to make it rebuildable. All in for the rear I was around 5 bills I think.
After riding this set up for 2 years, along with tires designed for a bigger bike, it is a little stiff 1 up unloaded but nice and plush either 2 up or loaded with gear.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After riding this set up for 2 years, along with tires designed for a bigger bike, it is a little stiff 1 up unloaded but nice and plush either 2 up or loaded with gear.
What do you mean by "tires designed for a bigger bike?" Please share details (size, etc) and why? Were the stock size for the V-Strom 650 unable to handle rider weight + bike?

Rmpl

·
Registered
193 Posts
I used DMr. Jamie was awesome and answered all my annoying questions. Turn around was really good too. I'm in the 320 bracket myself and the ride is much better. Really great prices for both front and back completely redone.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I went with the Battlewings by Bridgestone. My Thinking for a heavier bike, I went with tires from a bigger bike. They are still original rims.

From Revzilla:
Type B - BMW R1200GS 2007-2012, Suzuki DL1000 2002-2012
Type D - Suzuki DL1000 2014
Type E - Yamaha Super Tenere 2012-2014

·
Registered
1 Posts
Over winter 16-17 I sent my rear suspension away to Adventure Power Sports (aka Sasquatch Suspensions) and have been VERY pleased with the result. For less than half an aftermarket solution, I got a heavier spring and a rebuild of my original shock. He'll have you complete a detailed form specific to your intended end use. From Maine, I just completed a loop that traversed the Labrador Highway ... FREIGHTED. The suspension upgrade was a game changer.
Cheers :cheers2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts