StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I come from a lifetime of bicycle riding, racing, touring, commuting,on road , off road.
My feeling is that my cycling has given me much greater bike handling skills than anything else I’ve done and although the motorcycle can get hairy, nothing in my experience is hairier than going balls out down a mountain road at High speed, ass to tea kettle, elbow to elbow on racing bikes. A motorcycle feels downright safe and slow mo in comparison. Some of the cat 2 and pros I’d ride with on training rides were two wheel drifting their bikes through high speed hairpins. That was when I got left behind, just a level of bike handling above where I was comfortable. To the point though I think all riders and especially newer riders, can maybe benefit from at least mountain biking, maybe renting downhill mountain bikes at a ski area and getting familiar with how bikes behave on loose surfaces minus the throttle, clutch aspect.
Anyone else feel the same way?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I had a large break in time from mountain biking to motorcycle riding. But after motorcycle riding exclusively for a few years, I tried to take up biking again (back and forth to work). And immediately crashed. I was so used to the heavier steering of the motorcycle, I'd whip the front wheel around too quickly and fly over the handlebars. I no longer ride bikes. The juice isn't worth the squeeze in my opinion.

There are similarities, but I also agree that a motorcycle feels WAY safer than a bike. Sturdier, keep up with traffic, get out of the WAY of traffic if you need to, I wear more gear on a mc, etc.

I however don't see much of a benefit from mountain biking to motorcycle riding except for MAYBE if you were hardcore mtn biker and went into light motocross type bikes.

·
Administrator
6,406 Posts
Agreed, but moving from cycle to dirt bike to road bike is a far better transition route.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You’re right Brockie this is along the lines of what I’m thinking.I just meet a lot of folks who go from very little two wheel experience to having a motorcycle, I worry for them seems like neither their skills or judgement is very good.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
There are similarities, but I also agree that a motorcycle feels WAY safer than a bike. Sturdier, keep up with traffic, get out of the WAY of traffic if you need to, I wear more gear on a mc, etc.

Before I started riding motorcycles on the street I was a fairly serious roadie. 200 or so miles a week. I didn't think anything of cars zipping by a foot away.

After riding a motorcycle on the street for awhile I couldn't relax on the road bike anymore. I felt vulnerable. Another guy on a forum had a similar experience and now you mention it. I'm beginning to think that this is probably not the uncommon.

I switched over to a Mt. Bike and if I do have to ride road I make it short and look for a dirt alternative.

Reactions: Rides

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I refuse to ride on the road here in Florida and can’t really see ever riding on the road at all anywhere anymore.
In 1987 I rode across the country and always wanted to repeat it, not anymore. Cars are too large, aggressive and traffic is 10 times what it was then.
I’ve seen so many fatals here, Seems common to see the FD hosing guys off the road. I started racing on Zwift, amazingly satisfies my competitive urges and is a great workout without risking your life.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts