StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
contributed too
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bias-plies vs. radials.... Ok, I'm sure this is opening a can of worms....
What is the differance in motorcycle terms??

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
On a V-Strom for typical riding probably not a huge amount. A 10/10 on a sports bike probably considerable.

My Heidenau K76 bias ply tyres perform just as well as my radial Tourances but last longer for my style of riding.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
its actually quite common to run a bias ply such as a TKC80 on the front, and a less agressive radial on the rear of most adventure bikes
I ran bias K76 on the front / radial Tourance on the back for around 10,000km until the Tourance was replaced with a K76.
I have never had any issues but I'm not trying to imitate Valentino Rossi either.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I've mixed em, front and rear on motorcycles, with no ill effects. On bikes it is not nearly as critical as with a car, and even on cars it was only said to be dangerous as a ploy to get you to buy a set of four instead of a pair at a time. I've mixed radials and bias tires on cars/trucks too, and as long as pressures are somewhere near where they should be, no problem.

·
Administrator
17,020 Posts
I had a set of Dunlop Elite III's on my last cruiser, one radial, one bias, I even called Dunlop and asked if this was correct, they said yes, that's what they advised for that bike, they worked great! Cheers--BB
Reckon I am refering "only" to Goldwing riders.....2 wing buddies of mine say that is a no no on a wing. Best of luck to ya'll but I won't be doing it on my C14 or any other bike.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I've run a Bridgestone on the front and a Flintstone on the rear and vice versa with no problems.

·
Banned
4,051 Posts
lol @ this one. I'll bite and open the can of worms.

All motorcycle tires are bias ply construction.

They say "steel belted radial" on some of them, but if you cut one open, you'll find the layers at a 45 degree angle to the rolling surface.

If you think about it, the bias ply construction is a necessity on a tire that leans.

I think the "steel radial" is just marketing nomenclature to say the carcass is steel reinforced rather than nylon.

On a car the two tire constructions have radically different handling caracteristics (and many racers, me included, prefer the bias ply).

But on a motorcycle, there'd be no handling difference as the construction is the same for both bias and "radial".

·
contributed too
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol @ this one. I'll bite and open the can of worms.

All motorcycle tires are bias ply construction.

They say "steel belted radial" on some of them, but if you cut one open, you'll find the layers at a 45 degree angle to the rolling surface.

If you think about it, the bias ply construction is a necessity on a tire that leans.

I think the "steel radial" is just marketing nomenclature to say the carcass is steel reinforced rather than nylon.

On a car the two tire constructions have radically different handling caracteristics (and many racers, me included, prefer the bias ply).

But on a motorcycle, there'd be no handling difference as the construction is the same for both bias and "radial".
I guess Michelin don't know what they are talking about then. :yesnod:
Obviously Pirelli don't have a clue about their tyres.
This is the stuff I was looking for...Motocycle tire of biasply and radial constuction are a lot alike... The Pirelli sight has a lot of good reading in it.... and just as I thought there is as much that goes into a motorcycle tire as understanding how they go around a corner! Thanks for your info...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts