StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to post this item of interest, not for entertainment purposes, but as a way of reminding all that Spring is (officially, anyway) here and the riding season has started. People in a lot of places won't be looking out for motorcycles yet, after the winter layoff from riding, so we will have to be on the lookout for them. So, it's heads up, eyes out there scanning, and hand/feet ready at the controls to take proper action/reaction. And never forget, your best weapon of defense is located on top of your shoulders. Use it to your best advantage and make this a safe as possible riding season. Cheers.

Collision with SUV in Boise sends motorcyclist to hospital | Boise, Garden City, Mountain Home | Idahostatesman.com

·
1,323 Posts
That's a somber but excellent reminder, thank you.

In semi-related news, my sis in D.C. was neighbors with a divorced mom of two, who was hit by a texter while jogging a couple weeks ago. Tragic. Fortunately the community raised $50k in just two weeks, but that'll be no consolation to her girls as they grow up without a mom.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,110 Posts
There has recently been a rash of motorcycle accidents on our local freeways out here and I have noticed the number of riders has been growing but out here it is due more to daylight savings than weather. But the same cautions apply.

I, for one, do not like lane splitting after dark on the freeway.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
This accident happened in the daytime and the rider was not lanesplitting. This was a turn into a motorcycle by a texting woman.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
30 Posts
The guy who pulled out in front of me didn't get cited.

I was lucky I was alert and he finally woke up.

Instead of being paralyzed or dead, I came away with a shattered lower left leg.

I consider myself lucky.

Be alert and be ready to jump...literally! :yikes:

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I always maintain that you can't make motorcycling safe, but you can make it wafer by keeping your wits about you and wearing good safety riding apparel. There are too many other idiots out there on the streets and roads, and while we can be sure of ourselves, we can't ever be sure about anyone else. My riding mantra is, "ride with the notion that everyone else out there is about to do something incredibly stupid, and it will involve me." So far, it seems to be a good concept to ride by. But as long as we can't be 100% sure that nothing unfortunately will happen, we can't relax, tempting though it maybe. Even 99% isn't enough as there's no way to account for the marauding 1%. Be safe, brothers and sisters.

·
Registered
773 Posts
On the brighter side, I'm seeing more and more bumper stickers that say:

"Look Twice, Save a Life. Motorcycles are Everywhere."

·
Registered
874 Posts
"

Disgusting. Misdemeanor inattentive driving. There must be a stronger offense to cite her with.
Reckless driving might work. Certainly, any citation would make a civil case much stronger.

In California, it is now legal to read a map on a cell phone, and to dial the phone by hand. So, when pulled over, everyone could just click on Google maps and delete their most recent text thread or phone call from history, assuming they weren't holding the phone up to their ear. Yea, they could still cite and subpoena phone records (not likely.)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Springtime riding requires a lot of discipline.

The motorcycle is back on the road after an extended storage period. Was it stored properly? Was it put back into service correctly?

The rider is back on the road after an extended period of inactivity. Will he exercise appropriate caution as he brings his dormant riding skills back online?

The roads are likely worse for wear after winter weather. Potholes abound , as do piles of that godawful and paradoxical "anti skid" material.

Drivers really aren't looking for motorcycles at this time (to the extent that they ever do so).

Yep. Gotta get your mind right at this time of year.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
You could be crushed by a Euclid and they will still say "He was wearing a helmet."

WTF does that have to do with anything?:headbang:

Do they think helmets make us bullet-proof and immortal??

If I wear green Jockey shorts, will that matter?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Motorcyclists are 37 times more likely to die in an accident, per mile travelled, as an occupant in a car.:jawdrop:

Compare below, the relative likelihood of dying per mile travelled:

Car vs Motorcycle:

D
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Bikes are MUCH more dangerous than a car. They should explain this to everyone taking their MSF course. Once you accept this, you will be better off.

Unfortunately, YOU must take responsibility for your safety out there. It doesn't matter who is at fault, you will pay the price regardless. Be hyper-alert, and ride defensively.

·
Registered
378 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
media slimebags...

up here the story always contains something like

" Police are not stating if speed was a factor"

it's almost as if...yeah the driver was an inattentive douchebag but the motorcyclist may have been exceeding the posted limit so he got wht he deserved...

as if they may have been standing still when the collision occured...
:furious:

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Like being in a combat zone

Your radar has to be down the road and rounding the corner. I had two tourists pull out in front of me today and two deer standing in a corner.

RR

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Motorcyclists are 37 times more likely to die in an accident, per mile travelled, as an occupant in a car.:jawdrop:

Compare below, the relative likelihood of dying per mile travelled:

Car vs Motorcycle:

D
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Bikes are MUCH more dangerous than a car. They should explain this to everyone taking their MSF course. Once you accept this, you will be better off.

Unfortunately, YOU must take responsibility for your safety out there. It doesn't matter who is at fault, you will pay the price regardless. Be hyper-alert, and ride defensively.
Unless I misread the article in the link, what it says is motorcycles are dangerous, and not because of the big increase in the numbers of motorcyclists. It doesn't specify any reason to support that statement, but seems to imply rider behavior. I'm not so sure that that's a very accurate statement in that article. That's my take on it, anyway. I suggest that the increase in the number of motorcycle fatalities is due more to a combination of increased numbers of bikes/riders on the road as well as the numbers of very high performance motorcycles that perform way beyond a lot of riders' abilities, along with an increasing segment of riders that are older, as in, retired, post 50's who's abilities are decreasing with age, and those who are first timer may likely be less able to ride as skillfully as an older rider who has been riding for many years. Then couple that with an increased number of cages on the road, occupied by distracted/impaired drivers, and you have a recipe for a higher number of accidents in total, and in fatalities.

In the final analysis, it's look out mate! Yer about to get smashed!

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Well, the Apr 2014 edition of Rider Magazine has a. Excellent article written by Clement Salvadori. Clem lays out stats that show that "yes" motorcycle fatalities have risen, however he shows that per number of registered motorcycles vs fatalities ha actually decreased over the years.
Since 2000 the number of registered bikes has doubled, however motorcycle fatalities has not. In conclusion he shows that in 1990 0.73 per 1000 registrations of motorcycles and in 2010 there were 0.67 per 1000 registered bikes.
He does stat,however that this is not scientific, or solid, as some motorcyclists own multiple bikes. But it does reflect a decrease in the number of fatalities per number of motorcycles over the two decades.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 30 Posts