·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
15,614 Posts
Just when you thought it was safe...the bleeding hearts bring back the things that can kill you. How about some wolves and bears to control the Elk population?
It's not like there is much real useful purpose for them other than to look majestic blocking the roadway.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
It's not like there is much real useful purpose for them other than to look majestic blocking the roadway.

but, they are delicious.

We have elk, bear and cougar to contend with here, and of course, the woods are crawling with deer.
I've had cougar on my garden shed roof, I often carry in the yard at night when I take the dog out before bedtime. My little 60 pound Staffy wouldn't have enough sense to leave that cat alone.

Oh, and, they've brought wolves back into Oregon too. It's a jungle out there.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
So, species conservation is now a "bleeding heart" cause? I'm guessing a lot of hunters, who have a real concern for species conservation and management, would absolutely disagree with that label.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Elk are quite docile and a favorite for poachers in this area. They also had to be reintroduced and protected on Southern Vancouver Island after a lengthy absence. They are huge in comparison to the deer around here.

·
Premium Member
5,253 Posts
There are few pucker moments more intense than being in a traffic jam in Yellowstone while a bull bison wanders the road about 2' from your knee. I would not want to be on a "loud pipe" Harley.

What shocked me about bison is how fast and agile they are. One minute rolling in the dust and the next up on their feet in an instant.

Been fairly close to lots of Elk down near Renovo.

Reactions: Big B and Byronw

·
Registered
15,614 Posts
I've seen deer, elk and bison up close and personal a bit too often. Killed my BMW ST with a deer strike. Sidecaring through Yellowstone was only a few feet from the Bison on the roadside. Stupid cagers stopped to gawk and picture take leaving everyone behind them unable to move.
Had a Bull and Cow Elk about run me over in Arizona on the road that leads to Havasupai Falls. Popped out of seemingly nowhere. Bull kept running across in front of me and the cow turned away.
Absolutely enormous creatures. I had no time for reaction. The encounter was over in seconds and we went off on our different ways. Kinda like a gust of wind.
I saw a mountain lion on that same road at the parking lot at the end.

I don't know about "species conservation" but reintroducing an extinct species for the pleasure of hunting it to death is a curious past time. Especially when a by product of the introduction is a potential road hazard the bulk of the year. The bleeding hearts I refer to are the fawning Bambi lovers. I suppose some ruminants do good with foliage control but they are mostly a food source for the bitey things, or guys with weapons. And yes, elk does taste good. Actually Bison is pretty tasty too!

·
Registered
43 Posts
The thing about a moose is, they're dark, really dark. You won't see it (at night) until you hit it. This bull meandered thru the middle of our campsite, while we sipped coffee 15 feet away.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
The thing about a moose is, they're dark, really dark. You won't see it (at night) until you hit it. This bull meandered thru the middle of our campsite, while we sipped coffee 15 feet away.
Beauty.. they are surprisingly stealth for their size. We had a young bull meander through our campsite every night and morning when we were up north on the NFLD peninsula.

Man was he close to us. I can't imagine dealing with a pissed off moose or elk, or deer for that matter.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
There is a Washington State Park called Dosewallups (dose-e-wall-ups) very near Brinnon WA along Hood Canal that is well known for the local elk herd. Last time we were there camping, the herd was in and decided to hang out in and around our cul de sac. They would wander very close to our firepit, say 40' away with us sitting there chatting. Even between the motorhomes and trailers. They are very intimidating when they are looking at you. They laid down and spent the night there. Didn't bother the bicyclists or people around them. Not even the little dogs that came up to sniff them. I don't think you'd want to challenge one, though.

·
Vendor
5,426 Posts
We saw them quite often while riding in the Little Naches area of the Cascades. On the dirt bike trails. One of the best memories I can think off is my son on his little Yamaha BW80 stopping because their was a cow elk and baby in the trail 40 feet ahead of him. In that area they were used to dirt bikers and eventually slowly walked down the trail ahead of him (with me close behind) until turning off into the woods.

There is also a meadow there called Elk Meadow. A heard of them frequents the meadow and beds down with a couple of hundred yards of a string of regular campsites.

Camping in that area is simply great family fun. The stuff you remember your whole life.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts