StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hesitant to post this while I think about this more, and call me crazy but I've been 2 1/2 tanks of gas since I got the stator replaced in my '12 650A, and all other things being equal*, I'm getting at least 8 maybe 10 mpg better. not a fluctuation within the error bars.

enough experience should be out there among everyone who got stators replaced with the recall or otherwise by now, so (a) can anyone give me anecdotal support and (b) is there a logical reason for this?

*Not all things are completely equal, since the oil and filter were changed (and the oil was a little overfilled), but otherwise it's a standard freeway commute every day, I know what the bike does after > 45,000 miles. Same gas, etc. since the replacement. But I wouldn't have expected anything through the alternator system to directly affect engine performance in a noticeable way... I'm stumped.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm yet to do a lengthy ride after the stator replacement, however from the riding i have done it's about the same as before at abot 4.5l per 100km

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The stator could cause extra load on the engine if something is wrong and casing the stator to be near full load of a failing stator not of a good one. It is not very likely but could have an effect.
I'm dubious. The stator that was replaced in the recall showed no signs of the overheating problems that could lead to the heat shielding getting melted through and then the shorting... but aside from that defectiveness that did cause some stators to fail (not mine), maybe the new stator is of a more efficient/lower thermal load design that just makes the engine run better... not complaining but I dunno.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I see no way for stator replacement alone to improve mileage unless the old one was actually shorting somewhere. There is not enough room among the 18 poles for larger wire to be used and get the same output, so efficiency cannot be much different.

However, switching to a series regulator can reduce wasted power by 60+ Watts. I saw a couple MPG improvement in gas mileage when I replaced the stock, shunt R/R and installed LED headlights.

·
Registered
14,434 Posts
Better power delivery makes for a stronger spark which could burn fuel mo bettah making better MPG?
Nah, it's just PFM.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I see no way for stator replacement alone to improve mileage unless the old one was actually shorting somewhere. There is not enough room among the 18 poles for larger wire to be used and get the same output, so efficiency cannot be much different.
I haven't been following the stator recall posts too closely (doesn't apply to my bike) but I'm guessing Suzuki found some kind manufacturing flaw with either the insulation coatings, how it was applied or how the windings were terminated, i.e. something not to spec, that was causing early failures. (Early is relative to the known failure rate for pre-2012 (?) bikes which they did not recall and Suzuki deems "normal"). The stator vendor is probably on the hook for much of the costs of the recall (or, ultimately, their insurance company).

However, switching to a series regulator can reduce wasted power by 60+ Watts. I saw a couple MPG improvement in gas mileage when I replaced the stock, shunt R/R and installed LED headlights.
I have been reading a lot of past posts on stators and mosfet R/R since I am upgrading my system. I recall that a number of riders reported a small increase in MPG even with the mosfet upgrade even though it is a still a shunt type.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK I'm an idiot. Once the MPG started getting into the mid-60's I knew something was off, not that I take the absolute values as truth but the relative change was suspicious... then noticed that the air thermometer was reading in C instead of F. Dealer mechanic must've monkeyed around the instrument panel looking for something or my settings my have reset after the stator change, but anyway in the fine print on the panel I saw the MPG was reading in imperial gallons. Hmph. Back to normal.

·
Registered
859 Posts
The stator could cause extra load on the engine if something is wrong and casing the stator to be near full load of a failing stator not of a good one. It is not very likely but could have an effect.
Nahhhh - the stator already runs at full load by design of the shunt regulator.

To the OP - what was your mileage before? 10 mpg increase sounds unrealistic unless they fixed something else.
My 2015 gets mostly 50 mpg. Sometimes a slow as 49, sometimes 51.5 if I'm riding stodgy.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To the OP - what was your mileage before? 10 mpg increase sounds unrealistic unless they fixed something else.
My 2015 gets mostly 50 mpg. Sometimes a slow as 49, sometimes 51.5 if I'm riding stodgy.
Well in my case the 8-10 mpg was just due to the units (miles/gallon (US) --> miles/gallon (IMP), 1 US gal = 0.83 IMP gal) after the stator change. I gathered from a number of sources that some slight improvement can happen after stator repair or replace, but that's why I suspected something else.

My nominal mileage is in the high 40's, unless I can (or am forced to) keep my speeds below 65mph with mostly freeway riding then I'm happy when I can break 50mpg or so by the time to refill. Of course there's a lot more to mileage than speed as you know, even on a clean air filter and good gas, depends on efficiency with the gears and throttling, rpms, not goosing, etc... But sometimes I just canna hep msef.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Well in my case the 8-10 mpg was just due to the units (miles/gallon (US) --> miles/gallon (IMP), 1 US gal = 0.83 IMP gal) after the stator change. I gathered from a number of sources that some slight improvement can happen after stator repair or replace, but that's why I suspected something else.

My nominal mileage is in the high 40's, unless I can (or am forced to) keep my speeds below 65mph with mostly freeway riding then I'm happy when I can break 50mpg or so by the time to refill. Of course there's a lot more to mileage than speed as you know, even on a clean air filter and good gas, depends on efficiency with the gears and throttling, rpms, not goosing, etc... But sometimes I just canna hep msef.
Yeah I read that after posting and it occurred to me I did that to myself once - seems to be an oddity of changing temperature to C and something else but it was a PITA figuring how to set it back.
I figure mine does pretty good on the mileage since I am not light on the throttle and tend to get to speed quickly if ya know wut i mean. Plus I ride with the panniers on as it doesn't seem to make much difference - which I find very strange.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Nahhhh - the stator already runs at full load by design of the shunt regulator.

My 2014 gets 38 wtf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
OK I'm an idiot. Once the MPG started getting into the mid-60's I knew something was off, not that I take the absolute values as truth but the relative change was suspicious... then noticed that the air thermometer was reading in C instead of F. Dealer mechanic must've monkeyed around the instrument panel looking for something or my settings my have reset after the stator change, but anyway in the fine print on the panel I saw the MPG was reading in imperial gallons. Hmph. Back to normal.
Well...........I'm an idiot too!:var_14:

Same thing. The bike was reading in *C and my gas mileage (as calculated by the bike) was excellent, but it was so much better than the actual mileage I calculated by myself?

Thanks for the post. I just went and looked and sure enough, MPG IMP on the clock face.

...............shu

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well...........I'm an idiot too!:var_14:

Same thing. The bike was reading in *C and my gas mileage (as calculated by the bike) was excellent, but it was so much better than the actual mileage I calculated by myself?

Thanks for the post. I just went and looked and sure enough, MPG IMP on the clock face.

...............shu
Yeh sometimes this board can save you some head scratching. even the title of my thread here auto-magically transformed itself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts