Strom Trooper banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I put a set of these $28 Metal Foot Pegs in Black on my 02 VSTROM 1000, I don';t notice vibration and they sure work for standing. The vendor was very easy to work with and has multiple color options. I had to reuse the stock pins and springs and I had to do a little filing on the brackets flashing lines to get a smooth fold operation. As Always YMMV.

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
i got a set of DR pegs from someone here on the forum, I don't keep track. They feel very good and secure. A bit smaller that the DL factory pegs but I like 'em!

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I put a set of these $28 Metal Foot Pegs in Black on my 02 VSTROM 1000, I don';t notice vibration and they sure work for standing. The vendor was very easy to work with and has multiple color options. I had to reuse the stock pins and springs and I had to do a little filing on the brackets flashing lines to get a smooth fold operation. As Always YMMV.
Lots to like here, but those studs (really, set screws) seem very aggressive. Have you had a problem with that? Seems like your boot soles would get chewed up in short order.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Lots to like here, but those studs (really, set screws) seem very aggressive. Have you had a problem with that? Seems like your boot soles would get chewed up in short order.
Hasn't been an issue so far, but not a lot of miles yet. Looks like they can be screwed in further if needed.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Has anyone done both Goldwing pegs AND a footpeg lowering kit?

I just installed the Adventuretech footpeg & control lowering setup yesterday. I don't believe it creates any new clearance problem - presumably, the "asphalt detector" nubbin on each footpeg would still do its job.

I'm assuming the same would be true even with the extra 3/4" drop of the Goldwing pegs. However, I'd have to adjust shifter & rear brake pedal height, and I'm not 100% sure there's enough range available in the respective linkages.

On the DL1000 you have that rear brake pedal return spring. The Adventuretech lowering kit includes a metal clip to make the reach. But, I'd need an even longer clip to go another 3/4".

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Have been riding with the Adventuretech footpeg lowering kit for a while. It's pretty nice. 1" lower doesn't sound like a lot, but made a big difference in comfort. Combined with raising the bars (installed 3.5" Rox risers a few months ago) it is now far more comfortable to stand up, as well.

FWIW the eBay footpegs above seem to be based on the Fastway Evolution III footpeg: https://promotobillet.com/fastwayproducts/footpegs/footpeg-products/22-5-001-6031s

Your call whether the Fastways are worth $139. They do come with an extra set of cleats, so you can suit your traction needs & decide how much you want to tear up your boots. A bigger difference is the Fastways are made of stainless steel, vs. aluminum for the direct-from-China version.

I'm not so sure I would want super-strong, stainless steel footpegs. I've broken enough things that I've come to appreciate bits that will snap off or bend, rather than break the much more complicated- and expensive-to-replace thing they're attached to.

Does anyone know what year Goldwing footpegs are compatible with Vees? I want to dig around for people on Goldwing forums who are selling their stock footpegs, but I don't know what model years will work.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I just ordered a set of PivotPegz. Direct from the manufacturer. They were having a deal where you get the toppers for $10 off, and a free "service" kit so I figured heck, why not.

Not cheap, no, but looks like good stuff.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Footnote re: ground clearance. I don't think it will be a problem, or rather other things will be the problem not footpegs. Recently I hit a dip coming in to a parking lot that made a terrible noise and felt wrong. Turns out the corner of my skid plate got some metal shaved off. It sticks down & right farther than my footpegs with the suspension under compression.

I had adjusted the rear shock for "correct" sag using the well-known guide at VSRI but I guess I will add a turn or two. I really would rather not have my skid plate drag again. It's alarming & will eventually weaken the skid plate.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Got the Pivot Pegz yesterday, installed them this morning. Rode to work, and they feel pretty nice! I haven't had a chance to get on dirt yet, but I did stand up over a few speed bumps and the PP felt great.

I've read reviews of Pivot Pegz where the rider was uncomfortable due to the pivoting, until he got used to it. I didn't have that at all. The pegs felt very natural right away. It just feels like they have a little give to them, not like they're going to fall off. The pivoting action makes it easier to shift, if anything.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I've been riding some seriously bumpy roads lately, & the Pivot Pegz are amazing.

I wouldn't say they are life-changing, or anything silly like that, but they made it much more comfortable to stay up on the pegs for longer.

With the factory pegs, my calves would get tired quickly, from balancing on the stick-like profile. It was uncomfortable to have all my weight on such a narrow part of each foot.

With the Pivot Pegs, my legs still did some work, but I was much less tired and twitchy after 7.5 miles of mostly rock with a little dirt.

I'm sure I would benefit from non-pivoting, platform-like footpegs as well. Just, not as much. They weren't cheap, but Pivot Pegs are really great if you can swing the $.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What year 'wing pegs are the ones to get?

I'm fat and the stock pegs kill the inside edge and bottom of my foot (doesn't feel like the full width of my foot can even get on the peg) for any amount of distance standing up.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I couldn't work that out, hope you have better luck.

I supposed I could have ordered some used Goldwing pegs somewhere and hoped for the best in terms of fit, but didn't feel that lucky.

·
Registered
271 Posts
What year 'wing pegs are the ones to get?

I'm fat and the stock pegs kill the inside edge and bottom of my foot (doesn't feel like the full width of my foot can even get on the peg) for any amount of distance standing up.

Mine were from a 2012-2017 GL1800 but I think they used that same footpeg for quite some time over more than 1 model.... Scroll up and look at the pic that I posted.. If they look like that.. They are probably the right ones.. If you find a set on ebay and the rubber is badly worn, you can get replacement rubbers from Honda pretty cheap.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts