StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tired of standing up on the factory footpegs, and ready to do something about it - it's like standing on sticks.

Not sure I want bare metal footpegs though, like the KLR ones, as the rubber on the OEM pegs likely helps with vibrations. Or is this not actually a problem?

I know SW Motech makes pretty nice Vee offroad pegs with rubber inserts. for around $150, but is there a more affordable alternative? Are the KLR 650 foot pegs I read a lot about a drop-in replacement, or is some fitting required?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Goldwing footpegs are a direct swap and are a nice boost in platform size. They tilt back a little bit compared to the stock footpegs and some have reported not liking them because of that.. Didn't bother me and they can be found on ebay pretty regularly for around $50. I've seen a couple complaints that people had trouble getting the 'Wing pegs to fit, but mine took all of 5 minutes to swap. Puig also has some nice ones that have adjustable pivot so you can cant the pegs to your liking but they are just north of $100.. I've seen the Puigs on ebay as well..

·
Registered
22,196 Posts

·
Administrator
16,600 Posts
KLR pegs or the knock off versions, direct fit and work amazing for only chump change!!!:fineprint:

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Administrator
16,600 Posts
I have no more noticeable vibes with the KLR pegs than compared with the OEM pieces of crap. :wink2:

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to know. My project for this spring is improving overall riding comfort. I started by putting the handlebars back where they need to be, with taller risers.

Last week I ordered a mess of comfort/usability improvements from Adventuretech, including:

-mirror extenders (seriously, I can't look THROUGH my own body)

-footpeg & control lowering brackets

-bolt-on kickstand foot. I don't always park on soft terrain, but when I do it's a PITA to use a plastic kickstand pad, then reel it in upon departure.

·
Registered
162 Posts
+1 on the Goldwing pegs

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
The goldwing pegs also drop about 3/4 inch. I found some on the 1800riders forum, and got new rubber from the local Honda dealer for about $10 each.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just ordered the Adventuretech peg lowering kit. We'll see how that goes, then see if there's any room for more lowering of pegs.

I'm not so much concerned about reducing lean clearance - I mean, the pegs are designed to fold up if they contact pavement, right? Just need to see if any additional drop is even desirable, first.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I had the KLR pegs on my K9 but by far the best pegs I've used are pivot pegz. The ability to change the angle of my ankle while keeping complete footing is awesome while sitting and incredible while standing. I know they are costly but comfort and stability are hard to put a price tag on. If I own a bike they fit on it will have them from now on. So far I've used them on a drz and now the Wee2 and saying I love them is an understatement.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I had the KLR pegs on my K9 but by far the best pegs I've used are pivot pegz. The ability to change the angle of my ankle while keeping complete footing is awesome while sitting and incredible while standing. I know they are costly but comfort and stability are hard to put a price tag on. If I own a bike they fit on it will have them from now on. So far I've used them on a drz and now the Wee2 and saying I love them is an understatement.
I also had Pivot Pegz on a DRZ and felt the same way about them.. I've been on the fence about getting a set for the Vee2, but the goldwing pegs are making it a very tough decision.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeesh, those Pivot Pegz certainly are steep.

However, given I'd use them literally every time I ride, can't say they're overpriced.

I do a fair amount of dirt, so improving standing comfort is welcome.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I just ordered the Adventuretech peg lowering kit. We'll see how that goes, then see if there's any room for more lowering of pegs.

I'm not so much concerned about reducing lean clearance - I mean, the pegs are designed to fold up if they contact pavement, right? Just need to see if any additional drop is even desirable, first.
I found it didn't take much lowering to have an impact and improve riding comfort and standing ability. If your not doin a "Rossi" you shouldn't have an issue with lowered pegs.

·
Administrator
5,028 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unfortunately all the pictures are missing from the first page of that thread. :(

If I can get some used Goldwing/Vulcan pegs that'll be great. I'm not in a huge hurry - got some other mods/upgrades to do first.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Unfortunately all the pictures are missing from the first page of that thread. :(

If I can get some used Goldwing/Vulcan pegs that'll be great. I'm not in a huge hurry - got some other mods/upgrades to do first.
Here's a top-down view of the GW peg on my Strom.. I could take others from other angles if you'd like..

The platform is twice the width of the stock pegs and sits a little bit lower.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts