StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I just added my first farkle!

I purchased a bestem tbox 929 (48 L of storage) hard topbox. it was about $125 and includes riding and brake leds and a passenger backrest.

its not amazing, but I wanted something on the cheap with those "features"

1st thing, probably want to buy the extra $70 bestem bracket for the dl650 2012+. the "universal" mounting bracket they give you for the stock rack doesn't really work without modifications. the extra bracket (plate) thingy is well built but the hardware that comes with it isn't. i added some washers to the underside of the mount because the nylon lock nuts just BARELY didn't pop through the holes in the stock rack. I am sure if i didn't use the washer, eventually those bolts would wear and break through the stock rack... so the adapter plate scores low for me on those respects. the spacers that live the plate off the stock rack by about 3/8ths of an inch are suffering from the same issue. they are just as wide as the holes in the stock rack and like to rock around. makes for a miserable time installing but washers solve the problem really fast.... kinda wish the part came with them!

the wiring was interesting. the tob LED light bar lights only when the brakes are on, the bottom led light bar has arrays of 5 LEDs grouped together. I was actually surprised at the quality of this part of the top case. (the lock and latch are weak sauce, but what do you expected for $125?). the neat thing about the bottom LED bar is that these 5 groups of leds are broken up into driving leds and additional brake leds. 3 can be tied into the brake like ( in parallel with the top led wires and the other 2 in each group can be wired into the driver light. So you get the bright/brighter effect of a normal tail light with LEDs in the bottom light bar with the addition of the top that is all on (and very bright) when the brakes come on.

i have only put about 10 miles ( at night ) with the new box. did one run to the grocery store as its maiden voyage and I am happy. i didn't hear any buzzing or vibrating. the mechanism that physically locks the box to the bike seems very rugged even if the plastic that case is made out of doesn't.

I wanted to be able to remove the box from the bike without wrecking the wiring to the tail lights. so i built my own wiring harness out of a 4 pin trailer light plug cable and some T-Taps and some conduit and heat shrink tubing. the result is a plug that comes out the back of my seat, under my rack and plugs into a 6 inch pig-tail plug that comes out of the box. I figured the box would mostly be on the bike, but in some cases i would like to take it off and wanted it to be simple and not require any tools or lifting the seat.

I am going to add some magnets to the plug leaving the bike so that when the box isn't mounted, i can secure the plug to the underside of the rack. keeping dirt, weather, and exhaust out of it and keeping it out of the way of my tail light and other things.

I can take more pictures if anyone is interested in the finer details of my setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are a few more photos of my TBOX 929 tail assembly with my custom wiring harness. So far its holding up really well. It even got rained on this weekend!

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts