StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any by "best", I really mean cheapest. Also, looking for recommendations for good 50/50 tires. My bike is a 2015 650XT with spokes (but tubeless tires), 19" front and 17" rear. I've been searching, but can't seem to find a brand that has matching front and rear tires. Any help?

·
Premium Member
4,375 Posts
Lots of places:

Rocky Mountain ATV / Jake Wilson
American Motorcycle Tire
Revzilla
Dennis Kirk
Cycle Gear
etc.

I don't run 50/50, but I think there as several manufacturers offering them that work with V-Stroms front and back. Shinko, Mitas, Heidenau, and Michelin come to mind.

YMMV

·
2015 DL650
152 Posts
The websites mentioned above are three same ones I would recommend.

I purchased my tires from cyclegear, they had the correct sizing, as well as revzilla

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Know what you want going in. The best off/on road rubber can make some real racket on road.How good are you off road? Really the Vstrom IMO is a bike that can go off road but far better on road as a really good small Tour bike. When you get pass good to somewhat good gravel they are far too heavy IMO. Sand about hopeless,but I am not a very good off road rider.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Shinko 804/805 50 50 tires that I have read that work well and are cheaper maybe a Mitas E07 rear instead of the Shinko. I used Denis Kirk to get my last set of OEM equivalent tires.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
I'll second the Shinko 804/805. Quieter than the 705's. Fair mileage. Good traction on and off road.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
The websites mentioned above are three same ones I would recommend.

I purchased my tires from cyclegear, they had the correct sizing, as well as revzilla

Cyclegear bought Revzilla about a year ago.

For several years I bought lots of tires and other stuff from Motorcycle Superstore but since JP Cycles bought them I have stayed away. Not so much because of service but they don't have what I want. For tires American Motorcycle Tire is now my go to place.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I'm interested in going tubeless the next time I buy tires. Can someone direct me to a thread to show me what is involved? Thanks.

Best regards,
Try doing a search on Google. There are countless threads on countless forums. Special tape, silicone and inner tube strips and/or recently I saw where someone splayed open an inner tube and the tire installed over it and the tube trimmed are all way folks have done it. Is it safe? Only you can answer that.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have done some searches with no luck; hence, the post here.

Unlike pneumatic tires which use a separate inner tube, tubeless tires have continuous ribs molded integrally into the bead of the tire so that they are forced by the pressure of the air inside the tire to seal with the flanges of the metal rim of the wheel.

Is it possible to run a tubeless tire with no inner tube? If so, what do I need to buy to use on aluminum wheels? Thanks.

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I just bought tires last week, American Motorcycle Tires had the best selection and prices. I usually buy from Rocky Mountain, but they didn't list what I wanted. I put on oem spec Battlewings, they had all the different types listed too. I went with the oem suzuki version. Been running Shinko 705's and I decided to go to a mild tire, the 705 front cupped bad IMO. I usually like 705s, but my riding is mostly pavement now. My last two tourances wore great. I haven't had Bridgestone BW's on the strom, so I tried them. So far so good after 300 miles.

·
Premium Member
4,375 Posts
I just bought tires last week, American Motorcycle Tires had the best selection and prices. I usually buy from Rocky Mountain, but they didn't list what I wanted. I put on oem spec Battlewings, they had all the different types listed too. I went with the oem suzuki version. ....
Same here. Usually it's Rocky but this time American had the best price on a rear Battlewing for me. The different types are supposedly OEM or recommendations for different bikes but the real difference between types is tread depth based on the tire specs.

Edit: One of the types has an H rating (130 mph) and the others a V rating (149 mph). Mine don't go that fast and neither do I, so I never pay much attention to the speed rating.

YMMV

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I'm interested in going tubeless the next time I buy tires. Can someone direct me to a thread to show me what is involved? Thanks.

Best regards,

You're on a V-Strom forum, and all V-Stroms come from the factory with tubeless wheels and tubeless tires. :confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts