StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice my brake and clutch levers are oxidizing wherever my gloves don't touch. Short of anodizing I guess my only option is some form of cleat coat.

Anyone have recommendations?

·
Registered
15,517 Posts
Interesting and you don't live at the coast what would make a great impact on the handles.
Any kinda wax as a 1st barrier? A bit further inland and I don't have that problem. Even when i go to Morro Bay I don't notice that.
Aftermarket handles? mine are cheap-o replacements.

·
Administrator
6,163 Posts

Do not put your bike away wet and garage it in a low moisture environment - or purchase anodised aftermarket levers.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I saw an impressive youtube video demonstration of ACF-50 preventing rust and corrosion. If I had problems I'd certainly give it a try.

·
Registered
15,517 Posts
OMG, I inherited several tins of Never-dull and a box of tubes of Wenol polish decades ago. I still have 8-10 tubes of Wenol and a partial can of Nevr-Dull.
I'd forgotten all about that stuff in the garage.
Scott, if you want a tube of polish, stop by on the way home from work one of these days. I'll even start up the old bike for you!

·
Registered
15,517 Posts
"How often do you have to reapply those products?"

About the same time you wax the rims and armor all the tire sidewalls?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I can/t speak for Wenol polish, but I used to do my old 900 Ninja rims and levers about every 2-3 months. The rims were badly oxidized when I got this bike as a restoration project, and it took a lot of of arm-work, but when I was done, the aluminum looked like chrome. Nevr-Dull was a wadding compound-- you tear off a hunk of this cotton material impregnated with cleaner/polish and go to town. Chrome-like that on my 750's 4 mufflers- looks like a clear glaze has been applied after using it. Either removes or masks pitting. Ive been using it for 24 years with excellent results. You wipe the surface down, let sit to dry, buff off the residue, repeat as necessary depending on the condition of the surface in question.

·
Premium Member
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OMG, I inherited several tins of Never-dull and a box of tubes of Wenol polish decades ago. I still have 8-10 tubes of Wenol and a partial can of Nevr-Dull.
I'd forgotten all about that stuff in the garage.
Scott, if you want a tube of polish, stop by on the way home from work one of these days. I'll even start up the old bike for you!
I've got a tube of Wenol. (I inherited mine too!) I'll start with that although I'd really prefer something longer lasting.

I'm on the fringe of the marine layer some mornings so I think that is where I'm getting the corrosion/oxidation.

I'll try it on the levers and preload adjusters.

·
Registered
15,517 Posts
Not to be sarcastic but some bikes don't get a lot of caring love that others don't.
When my 04 Wee, in black, was pristine I waxed the heck out of it. Loved the sparkly blue highlights.
After a couple crashes and a slop spray can paint job I don't spend a lot of time cleaning. Any bike time is spent riding.
i do clean the rims with Kerosene on occasion. The rear gets funky even using a waxy lube.
I got spoiled with no wax with a previous BMW, An 800ST in Matte Gray. Nothing made it shine and it really didn't show the dirt.
Not like a blinged HD with a load of chrome.
Heck, all those hours with my tube of Wenol and 0000 steel wool polishing the cases on my Arial 650. Just to see it gleam like a bulls ass in the moonlight.
But that was then.
The proper interval for polishing, whenever it's therapeutic.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Spray them with bed-liner. They won't corrode and your fingers will never slip off.

Of course, you'll need to buy new gloves every 500 miles when the fingers wear through.

Reactions: notacop

·
Administrator
13,733 Posts
Not to be sarcastic but some bikes don't get a lot of caring love that others don't.
I'm starting to think that cleaning bikes (perhaps heavy or obsessive cleaning) causes a lot of issues.

I put a fair amount of mileage on my bikes riding in a lot of crappy, corrosive conditions (gravel roads, rain, salted and brined roads) and really see very little if any corrosion on my bikes. I rarely do any real washing and this time of year do little more than wiping down things over the wasteland with a damp microfiber cloth. In addition my bike sits in one of the worst possible spots, a heated garage.

..Tom

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Cleaning automotive and truck engines sure causes problems. Our mechanic friend tells folks not to do that when he sees a clean one. lol He said he fixes more obtuse electrical issues because of that. Even spark plug coils sometimes fail.

Reactions: V-Tom

·
Registered
157 Posts
I always wipe mine down with a damp clothe as opposed to a hose. I like using the cleaning spirits because it leaves a protective luster. Also, if I get my bike soaking wet I'll hit it with a leave blower before I park it.

Best regards,

1 - 20 of 29 Posts