StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking my wife on our first two-up ride this weekend. We have both been on the bike for spins around the neighborhood...but getting on the thing with the side cases has always been a bit awkward.

Any tips would be helpful. If I get on first, and slide forward she basically has to climb on my back to clear the side boxes.

Then I understand it's not ideal for her to get on first when it's on the side stand of center stand...but that has been the easiest.

What do you guys do?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Rider on first. Passenger pats riders shoulder ( getting on or off) to let you know that they are going to mount/dismount. Passenger places left hand on riders shoulder, left foot on peg ( or rights if mounting from right side) and swings leg over "horse style". I make sure of the pat on the shoulder thing, so I can grab the bars and not be surprised.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
The passenger should also try and keep his/her weight towards the centre of the bike. Nothing worse than someone "hiking out" as they get on. Saw a friend almost dump a Goldwing into a row of Goldwings when his passenger got on. He was starining so hard to keep the bike up that there were veins standing out everywhere. :yikes:

·
Registered
226 Posts
My wife is tall at 6"3, so I get her mount in the rider's position first with the bike in gear. Then, while I hold the handbar and make sure the bike doesn't move forward off the stand, she shuffles back into the passenger position. With her weight on the rear seat, the bike is sufficiently low for me to do a forward leg over to get into the rider's position.

Next trick is to get the sidestand up, so we both lean to the right with a leg down each and I raise the sidestand. Then I centre the bike and she puts her feet up on the passenger pegs and we're ready to go.

It may read a little complicated, but we've got it down to a fine art now. At her height, there is no safe way for her to get up after me on the left passenger peg to swing a leg over without throwing me and the bike off balance.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
If you don't need the cases and haven't much experience riding 2-up then definitely ditch the cases. If you make it difficult for your passenger then you will end up riding solo.
I consider myself very fortunate that my wife enjoys riding with me. I've got over 50,000km on the Vee and more than 10,000km is with her aboard. Do whatever it takes to get both of you comfortable riding together before you struggle with cases in the way. A secure top case, like a Hepco & Becker with a back rest pad might help.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Rider on first. Passenger pats riders shoulder ( getting on or off) to let you know that they are going to mount/dismount. Passenger places left hand on riders shoulder, left foot on peg ( or rights if mounting from right side) and swings leg over "horse style". I make sure of the pat on the shoulder thing, so I can grab the bars and not be surprised.
I agree with this except for the right side part.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I agree with this except for the right side part.
Ditto, never mount from the right.

Side cases or no sidecases, they don't seem to affect our process. I ride with my wife or one of my two daughters a lot, they know the drill. Keep the weight low. You as the rider must anticipate the fact that they will forget this fact. Make sure both feet are solidly planted.

You can flatfoot right?

·
Registered
80 Posts
The way a 'strom carries it's side cases (far forward) makes it impossible for my 5'4" wife to mount after I'm on. We also do the 'she gets on first, slides back, then me' thing. I don't know any other way to do it. The bags are just too close to the passenger pegs.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
The way a 'strom carries it's side cases (far forward) makes it impossible for my 5'4" wife to mount after I'm on. We also do the 'she gets on first, slides back, then me' thing. I don't know any other way to do it. The bags are just too close to the passenger pegs.
What side cases do you have? My wife says "there's not much room" but she can still use the left peg to step up.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Agreed on this method.
Actually, I want more than a quick pat on the shoulder. If she doesn't get an acknowledgment from me with at least a nod of the head, it means "do not make a move, I am not ready for it". We almost dumped a few times when she thought just letting me know was enough. You may need a moment to be sure of your footing and brace yourself.
As to actually mounting and dismounting it means she's got to be a bit limber to swing her leg over the top case as well. Takes a bit of practice. It is a good idea to practice a bit with side cases off to get the hang of it. Then introduce the side cases as you both get more proficient.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
My 5'6" girlfriend doesn't have any problem (Givi E360 cases on Givi side racks), but then she's only 130 lbs and quite flexible :)

·
Registered
22,238 Posts
+ another 1

if a rider can't get on like that, then they don't ride with me :jawdrop:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
Yeah...'nother good thing about the Jesse's. When the wife rides I can move them up and back so she has more room on the pegs. For solo riding, they go down and forward for better weight distribution.

When the wife riders, we used the same method as highsider's...except I don't need the passenger to tap me. She doesn't move until I say so. I have the sidestand down, front and rear brake on. I give a nod and a verbal okay to mount / dismount. For mounting, it's the same as you mentioned...left hand on shoulder, left foot on peg, swing up and over. The bike always in neutral during this.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Yeah...'nother good thing about the Jesse's. When the wife rides I can move them up and back so she has more room on the pegs. For solo riding, they go down and forward for better weight distribution.

When the wife riders, we used the same method as highsider's...except I don't need the passenger to tap me. She doesn't move until I say so. I have the sidestand down, front and rear brake on. I give a nod and a verbal okay to mount / dismount. For mounting, it's the same as you mentioned...left hand on shoulder, left foot on peg, swing up and over. The bike always in neutral during this.
Sidestand down works well for me. It's easier now for us now that the new suspension is on, doesn't squat nearly as much, feels much more stable as she gets in position.

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
Sidestand down works well for me. It's easier now for us now that the new suspension is on, doesn't squat nearly as much, feels much more stable as she gets in position.
I've never really noticed the bike squatting when she's getting on. She doesn't kick down on the peg to get up, but lifts herself. I'm also bracing the bike with my left leg, so the bike is pretty darn solid.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Deb and I have many km 2 up. We use a similar routine. I mount first and move the bike to a level area where I have room to go straight ahead before worrying about maneuvering. (Maneuvering at low speed with a passenger and full bags can be tricky, especially if the surface is sloped or irregular. I dropped the bike and Deb 3 times in one weekend before I learned this) I have both feet flat, front brake on firmly. I lean forward and dip my head forward to give her as much room as possible to step up on the left peg and swing a leg over(the side case and top case), When we are loaded for a multiday trip (avitar) she may have to swing a leg through instead of over. Once settled she gives me a tap on the hip to signal OK to go.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
My wife is 5'3", with a bum right knee. And I've got the dicey left leg...

Anyway, I have to brace myself firmly, then scoot up and lean as far forward as I can. I have no idea what sort of gymnastics routine she's doing back there, but it takes a good 10-15 seconds of finagling before she finally drops into place. I hear it's rather entertaining to watch.

Once in place, she's comfy. :thumbup: We'll often gas up 2-up or pull over so she can use the phone (when she's on call) without going through the dismount/mount routine.

The good part is that she's getting a lot better at it. The disruption to the bike and the time required are much less now. So practice, practice, practice.

I've also noticed that the bags don't make a lot of difference -- there's some additional clunking, but they don't seem to get in her way overly much. She also feels a bit more secure with the bags on for some reason.

Now, if we can just find some lady's boots that are made for riding a motorcycle instead of stripping, we'll be all set...

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Now, if we can just find some lady's boots that are made for riding a motorcycle instead of stripping, we'll be all set...
Please post pic of wife in stripper boots before you get rid of them:biggrinjester:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts