StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally have about 1000 miles on my 04 1K. I love the bike but would like to get rid of the stutter that happens at low rpm. It's really annoying when having to creap along in a parking lot and the bike starts bucking like mad. Only really seems to happen after the bike is run for a while. Can the dealer change the mixture or do I have to go aftermarket?

On the road I keep it above 4K so its not an issue. It could almost be considered a hazard at low speed not to mention emberassing. I had a 2000 sv that was smooth as silk throughout the powerband.

Larry

D

·
0 Posts
Mine, like most, have/had the same issue. Here's why. The EPA tests emissions on bikes at around the 2500-3000 RPM range. Therefore, bike manufacturers make their bikes run lean at this range to meet "standards." To correct this have your mechanic richen up the midrange; takes all of 3 minutes to do if he has the little "black box" to hook up and remap. Problem solved. :wink:

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
One of two things... Install a Power Commander to richen the mixture and/or have your throttle bodies checked

P

·
0 Posts
hmm,,that sounds pretty annoying, is that for both of the DL's or just one of them ? *IE the 650 or the 1000 ?*

·
Registered
75 Posts
Interesting that this came up today...

Because I was at the dealer looking over the Givi bags that I'm having installed...a top box and side cases in g730 metallic silver (very, very close to the '04 Suzuki silver colour).

Another '04 Strom owner was there, because his bike had been backfiring in this rpm range. Mine stutters every once in a while as well, but his is much worse. I told the dealer about this thread, and the proposed solution, and he's going to try this with mine when I bring it in next Monday for its 1000km servicing. :wink:

Thanks for the tip, and I'll let you know what happens...

P

·
0 Posts
I just visited the Power Commander website. They do show a map for the DL1000 and they are working on one for the DL650.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mapping done

Picked up my bike after its 1000 km servicing, and the mechanic did as recommended and richened the mixture. He admitted that this was the firs time that he's done this...it seemed smoother on my way home, although I didn't take it too far today. :lol: The wind was howling, rain was coming down, and I even saw some white stuff mixed in (and this is late April?).

I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Two weeks later,

over 200 km farther and the problem seems to be gone. The engine's still running smoothly in the 3-4k range. It's idling a little too low now (just over 900 rpm) so I'll have to adjust that. All in all, I'm quite happy with the results. Thanks to DesertDave and SemperVee for the tips!

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Your most Welcome GT, Glad I could help....

G

·
0 Posts
Was at the dealer today because of that stutter. He told me at a suzuki the control box is sealed. Warranty void when opened. And nevertheless it was not possible for them to change the mapping. Only thing he could do was to enrichen the mixture a little bit by some adjusting screws. Its only a problem in traffic but quite annoying. Whats the method to change mapping?

P

·
0 Posts
There are a couple of adjustments your dealer should know how to check. One is throttle body sync - and it is important that it be right. I forget what the other is right now. But if your dealer called Suzuki for help
with the issue instead of BS'ing you - I believe they would have him do a throttle body sync as the first step.

To change the FI map, you need to go with something like the Power Commander. Yoshimura makes a device also. They are pricey. You really shouldn't need to do that on a stock machine. If you had added a performance exhaust and were looking for even more power - then a Power Commander device is an answer.

I have added Remus performance exhaust cannisters to both my Suzukis and they both run fine without remapping. Although I could tweak some more power with a remapping device, it isn't worth the expense to me.

G

·
0 Posts
So let's start with the sync and see wat happens. Power commander etc. is no option for me. BTW the first few 1000 kmh's I did'nt notice the stutter Will anyway be at the dealer in a couple of weeks when the new BT020 for the front is deliverably. Seems we have to wait for them in Europe. When I go for a ride with my Son on his Tuono there is also no problem on low revs. Need all the power there is. But sometimes there is a lot of traffic and you have to idle along :(

K

·
0 Posts
i had that annoying stumble and it got worse as the bike broke in.horrible when rolling at low speeds while not accelerating between 2400-3000 rpm.if i accelerated through it,no problem.only when keeping a constant rpm in that range was it bad,no,horrible and unsafe is more like it.there was another smaller hiccup when holding at a constant 3500 rpm but not as bad.tried the remapping 5-7 different times and decided the stumble goes or the bike goes,i can't ride something that wants to buck me off when lanesplitting in traffic.adjusting it just wasn't getting it done.i changed air cleaner to let it breathe,i changed the exhaust to open it up,remapping each time a change was made and several times in between.5,000 miles of misery in 7 weeks and i was ready to dump the bike.the dealer suggested the power commander pre-mapped to my exhaust and air cleaner direct from dynojet.bingo.it runs!way smoother,accelerates harder,no more stumble,and my gas mileage went up too.only a few tanks through it since the change but what a difference.i was trying to figure out how much i was going to lose getting rid of a turd or should i pitch it under a truck,somebody just saved this bikes life. :D

T

·
0 Posts
My 04 DL1000 has had the same driveability issues since new(1500 miles now)from everything I've read it looks like a pc111 is the way to fix it.I guess I'll have to spring for one as this one problem is a big thorn in an otherwise great bike,it just doesn't seem right to have to spend $300 to fix a brand new bike.

R

·
0 Posts
tx2whlr said:
My 04 DL1000 has had the same driveability issues since new(1500 miles now)from everything I've read it looks like a pc111 is the way to fix it.I guess I'll have to spring for one as this one problem is a big thorn in an otherwise great bike,it just doesn't seem right to have to spend $300 to fix a brand new bike.
Obviously you have never owned a Harley. 8)
Buying the bike is just the first expense.

I have had a PC on order for more than 3 weeks now. Vendor told me they are backordered but should ship this week.

T

·
0 Posts
Well you're right I've never owned a Harley,but this is the 21st bike I've owned(8 different brands) and it is the only one that I ever had this kind of problem with on a completely stock unmolested bike.

R

·
0 Posts
but this is the 21st bike I've owned
And of those, how many had FI?

This bike surges way less than both my previously owned BMW's (R1100RT, R1100R)

IMHO, it's also very easy to stay out of the 3-4k range

Cheers

-Jack

K

·
0 Posts
when out riding the backroads and highways the bike rarely sees the 2500-4000 rpm range.however,i use the bike daily to commute to and from work into the city and lane-splitting as well as city traffic has me moving a little slower and dodging idiots at a more cautious pace.i do prefer a vehicle of any kind that will run well throughout the rpm range.if i want to ride something that doesn't run below 5000 rpm i'll break out the rs250 for a track day.the distributor was back-ordered on the power commander as you mentioned,that's why the dealer got it direct from dynojet.they are also not available pre-programmed for exhaust etc. when getting them from other sources or so i'm told.how can anyone bring up a harley in a thread discussing modern technology?

R

·
0 Posts
Harleys

I was referring to the fact that buying a new HD is just the first step. Then you have buy accessories to make it run like it should have from the factory.

Although, that is one way to elimate low speed lean surge. Add a big ass heavy flywheel like a Harley. :)

Seriously though, the leaness is mandated by the EPA (or equivilent) for emissions and the testing occurs at low engine speeds. I think the touchiness (responsiveness?) of the FI at low speeds makes it more noticable.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts