StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a Gerbing heated jacket liner to go with my heated gloves. I am connecting the dual controller to the jacket liner, and the Sae connector that is hard wired to my battery. I purchased a sae to coaxial plug so I could connect the dual controller to the hard wired sae wiring. Question- where should I keep the dual controller while riding, and what is the best way to hook up and get on the bike?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
Put the controller wherever you find a convenient location. I've had them on the handguard and tank nose on a Wee and the mirror mount on a Glee.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
If its like mine, with the 2 knobs and belt clip case, I let the wire come under the left side of my coat and clip the controller to the belt or side pocket of my coat. I like enough cord slack to be able to stand up, so I bought an extension for my power cord that is like an old style coiled phone cord.

You could put a mounted controller on the handlebars I suppose, but I only need heat 3 or 4 months of the year. I dislike all the extraneous electronics on handlebars/dash areas some riders seem to accumulate. Do not like tank bags either.....me OCD.

·
38,047 Posts
Part of my heated gear was grip heaters. Since they are always connected, it made sense for the controller to always be connected.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Syd

Whatever you do you definitely want the coiled extension cord because there will be the day when you forget you are plugged in and that cord will make this a non accident event.

If it's a wired controller put it somewhere where you can operate it while riding with one hand. Not sure what your setup is, but in case your gear gets real hot you must be able to adjust it safely on the road.

·
38,047 Posts
I wired mine through a normally closed relay operating off the brake light wire. Before that, I would get too hot at stop lights or in stop and go traffic. Using a brake turned the gear off. If I needed heat when stopped, almost never happening, I just let go of the brakes.

·
Registered
14,236 Posts
I wired mine, Gerbing dual controller, to the battery and ran the leads to the front of the tank by the handlebars. I slapped a piece of fuzzy velcro to the tank and also to the top of the tank bag. That way I can leave the tank bag home. That way I can move the controller from bike to bike. The controller has the hook side of the velcro pasted to the bottom. It's up front where I can see it so I know the light is lit and it's handy to operate.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I used the Gerbing wired troller for one ride before selling it. Bought the Warm & Safe wireless troller and am infinitely happier.

Troller is wireless so can easily be transferred from bike to bike with some velcro. I have mine mounted on top of the brake fluid reservoir. Just one wire from the jacket to the bike and I'm up and running.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I wired mine through a normally closed relay operating off the brake light wire. Before that, I would get too hot at stop lights or in stop and go traffic. Using a brake turned the gear off. If I needed heat when stopped, almost never happening, I just let go of the brakes.
Sir, that is brilliant. Next year I am doing that:wink2:

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
I used peel and stick velcro and have it mounted right in front of met on the tank, between me and my tank bag. The wires go directly under the seat to the battery. I remove it during warm weather.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I don't use a variable switch, I just use an on or off.
But I found I like the switch mounted down low and on the left side of the bike. That way I know where it is but I am not tempted to look at while riding like when I had the switch near the handlebars plus it keeps the wiring runs shorter that way.

I like greywolf idea of a brake light relay to shut off power while stopped. That would save a little juice as well.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I did almost the exact same thing as notacop with my GFs setup. The coaxial lead is wired directly to the battery and exits near the front of the seat.

The controller for her jacket and her gloves is permanently attached to her jacket. Bit of velcro on the controller, bit of velcro on the rear face of tank. Works a treat. The controller is positioned so that she can even see and adjust it while riding.

We used heat-shrink tubing on all connectors (except the main connector, obviously) to make sure they are permanently connected. Particularly the gloves and glove connectors are a pain in the ass otherwise: Trying to do up the last connector while you only have one (already gloved) hand available, and then tucking in things so that there's no air leak was simply impossible otherwise. And using heat-shrink tubing also ensures that the connections themselves stay dry when it's raining.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts